Register Now
kingpotato

Is it wise to spend money on free to play games?

12 hours ago, Justin11 said:

They shouldn't have allowed several of monetization options through pop-up ads, which wouldn't allow you to play comfortably. 

It's the only way they have to make some money from the game, since it was sold for free. 

5 hours ago, Boblee said:

It's the only way they have to make some money from the game, since it was sold for free. 

Confirm, I don't skip the ads or use ad-blockers when I know that's the only way their are earning their money. At times I go click on any of the ads when I see something worthwhile, to help the game creator earn and continue to deliver the best. 

On 3/20/2022 at 1:58 AM, Yaramaki said:

I don't really have a problem with microtransactions if they are optional and don't disturb normal gameplay. I don't really get developers on this either, since it does  more harm then good for their games. Take the recent backlash Gran turismo 7 is taking because let's be honest, what a dick move from sony to include microtransactions a few weeks after launch it not also makes them look like money greedy assholes. GT7 on the ps5 costs already 10 bucks more the usual price, pretty sure it costs damn near 75 euros over here. 

I don't really play multiplayer so can't really talk too much about that. Like i said free to play games are something i stay away from, if they offer the whole experience for a fixed price, i'll gladly try some of them out. I always wanted to play Genhsin impact but since it's free to play i'm not going to bother why they don't offer it as a complete game for a fixed price i'll never understand. 

Maybe i'll just need to get over the fact that games are nothing but consumables these days, you're done with them and move onto the next to be never played again. It's kinda saddening since kids who grow up these days are not likely to be able to play a game from their childhood again if they ever want to offcourse.

Who am i to comment on somebody who likes free to play games and should they spend money on it or not. I think it's a waste of money and that's what the original title off the topic says.

but then again if i spend 15 bucks at mcdonalds and another person spends 15 bucks on something they get hours of enjoyment off and it makes them happy. I'm most likely the real loser in this scenario 😉

Thats exactly what I was wondering, are games going to be like that from now on, consumables ? thats the same question I ask myself. I do understand your point, I much rather go back to the old days were you paid for your game up front and didnt need to worry about paying for anything in the game again. But things have been changing, first they started to add DLCs, then ingame purchases for games with multiplayer modes, now most famous multiplayer games are "free to play" altogueter and just rely on microtransactions for skins and other cosmetics. Thats why I was asking that question in the title , is it really wise or worth it to spend money on cosmetics for a game that maybe one day will shutdown completly and all that money spent will go to waste. Although Im enjoying the games Im honestly starting to think that maybe its no longer worth it.

On 3/21/2022 at 7:51 PM, Justin11 said:

Confirm, I don't skip the ads or use ad-blockers when I know that's the only way their are earning their money. At times I go click on any of the ads when I see something worthwhile, to help the game creator earn and continue to deliver the best. 

There will be a lot of distractions with playing the such free games and it's not fun when it does that very often. 

12 hours ago, Boblee said:

There will be a lot of distractions with playing the such free games and it's not fun when it does that very often. 

I understand that the ads will be kind of distraction even to me I don't like much of the ads with video games. 

On 3/23/2022 at 8:38 AM, Boblee said:

It's not even wise to play free games in my opinion, so spending money on such free games is completely out of question. 

I don't think this is right to say. I play free games sometimes and it is because those games are top games that can be played for free too. Once a free game is of top quality, I will definitely play.

Most free games comes with in game app purchases or should I call it microtransactions. It's the way they make their money back from not selling the game before downloads. Is it wise to spend money on such games? It's all up to you to decide what's important to buy in the game. 

Since they didn't force anyone to purchase any items or do upgrades with money, I don't see it as extortion unless you're mandated to pay, which I know epic is optional. You pay for those items in order to play with much weapons that will enable you progress far in the game without much struggle. 

9 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Since they didn't force anyone to purchase any items or do upgrades with money, I don't see it as extortion unless you're mandated to pay, which I know epic is optional. You pay for those items in order to play with much weapons that will enable you progress far in the game without much struggle. 

When you are playing against someone who keeps buying those upgrades but you don't, you're going to find it very difficult to make any progress on the game. 

3 hours ago, Boblee said:

When you are playing against someone who keeps buying those upgrades but you don't, you're going to find it very difficult to make any progress on the game. 

That's just it bro, and as a gamer you'll feel so infuriated when a fellow gamer is winning you all the time, due to improved features that guides him or her to win over you. 

On 3/24/2022 at 11:33 PM, Justin11 said:

I understand that the ads will be kind of distraction even to me I don't like much of the ads with video games. 

There is always an option to pay for the ads in such free games to be removed, although most gamers don't like paying it. 

On 3/23/2022 at 2:55 PM, kingpotato said:

Thats exactly what I was wondering, are games going to be like that from now on, consumables ? thats the same question I ask myself. I do understand your point, I much rather go back to the old days were you paid for your game up front and didnt need to worry about paying for anything in the game again. But things have been changing, first they started to add DLCs, then ingame purchases for games with multiplayer modes, now most famous multiplayer games are "free to play" altogueter and just rely on microtransactions for skins and other cosmetics. Thats why I was asking that question in the title , is it really wise or worth it to spend money on cosmetics for a game that maybe one day will shutdown completly and all that money spent will go to waste. Although Im enjoying the games Im honestly starting to think that maybe its no longer worth it.

Don't know why i never followed up to this but better later then never. I've been messing around a bit with a few free to play games in the app store on my dad his old ipad to get a better idea of free to play games. Well needless to say it wasn't  the greatest experience i've had, one game blocked me entirely after about 10 minutes because my daily time playtime was up and wanted 4,99 to continue, eh fuck it deleted. So i tried a random rpg who's name i forgotten already and low and behold i immediately was welcomed with a screen to buy their shit, i played it for about half an hour and yeah while the game was not that half bad i'd much rather prefer they charged money for it and be done with it instead of reminding me after every battle i can have a better experience for only 9,99. Yeah no I'm not gonna fall for this shit.

The problem there is with these "games" they will be gone in a few years time and you mostlikely will not have the option to continue playing said game because correct me if i'm wrong most woulden't function anymore without an internet connection. If you have spend money on them it's gone, if you happen to feel nostalgic and want to play that free to play game you loved 10 years ago, you probably can't. 

You could say the same with multiplayer games, once the servers are gone the game is gone. Remember MAG on the ps3 yeah me neither but it is one of many games that is lost in time and 99,9% Of those free to play games will end up with the same fate, so my conclusion it's not wise to spend money on free to play games, you're better off buying a gift for your mother ( it's mothers day next week )or spend it on a real game.

To conclude if you make it this far is why i feel like games are becoming more and more consumables, products of their time, with zero intention of being preserved for the future and to me it feels like nobody gives a fuck about that. Music and movies are preserved fairly well, why not videogames even if they are free to play. 

Damn kind of went on a rant but feels good to spit it out nonetheless. 

8 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

Don't know why i never followed up to this but better later then never. I've been messing around a bit with a few free to play games in the app store on my dad his old ipad to get a better idea of free to play games. Well needless to say it wasn't  the greatest experience i've had, one game blocked me entirely after about 10 minutes because my daily time playtime was up and wanted 4,99 to continue, eh fuck it deleted. So i tried a random rpg who's name i forgotten already and low and behold i immediately was welcomed with a screen to buy their shit, i played it for about half an hour and yeah while the game was not that half bad i'd much rather prefer they charged money for it and be done with it instead of reminding me after every battle i can have a better experience for only 9,99. Yeah no I'm not gonna fall for this shit.

The problem there is with these "games" they will be gone in a few years time and you mostlikely will not have the option to continue playing said game because correct me if i'm wrong most woulden't function anymore without an internet connection. If you have spend money on them it's gone, if you happen to feel nostalgic and want to play that free to play game you loved 10 years ago, you probably can't. 

You could say the same with multiplayer games, once the servers are gone the game is gone. Remember MAG on the ps3 yeah me neither but it is one of many games that is lost in time and 99,9% Of those free to play games will end up with the same fate, so my conclusion it's not wise to spend money on free to play games, you're better off buying a gift for your mother ( it's mothers day next week )or spend it on a real game.

To conclude if you make it this far is why i feel like games are becoming more and more consumables, products of their time, with zero intention of being preserved for the future and to me it feels like nobody gives a fuck about that. Music and movies are preserved fairly well, why not videogames even if they are free to play. 

Damn kind of went on a rant but feels good to spit it out nonetheless. 

I totally undertand your frustrations - we as gamers are getting way less for our money. I don't condone spending on free to play games either because you'll never recoup that and all that for a few hours of fun.