Register Now
The Blackangel

Racism In Sports

This seems to be becoming a bigger issue these days. It's an undeniable fact that blacks dominate sports like basketball and football. I think baseball is pretty well split down the middle, but honestly don't know. I'm a hockey fan. A lot of people make comments that "hockey is a white mans sport". I have heard it more than once. If that's the case, then basketball and football are not a white mans sport. There was also a soccer player that was sanctioned or something for using a racial slur against another player. The clippers owner was banned from basketball for racism after calls to his girlfriend of the time were leaked. Players in every sport have been fired for racist comments. There was a hockey player a few years ago that was fired in the middle of a game, for commenting that they needed to "get that nigger off the ice" about a black player on the opposing team. I don't remember who the two teams were. I do remember however that he was the best left wing the team had. The only ones that heard the comment were his own team. His coach heard it, pulled him off the ice, and fired him on the spot. The owner of the team had him banned from professional hockey.

Racism in professional sports is starting to look as natural to the sport as a bat is in baseball. It's a sad, sickening fact.

On 3/19/2022 at 12:09 PM, The Blackangel said:

This seems to be becoming a bigger issue these days. It's an undeniable fact that blacks dominate sports like basketball and football. I think baseball is pretty well split down the middle, but honestly don't know. I'm a hockey fan. A lot of people make comments that "hockey is a white mans sport". I have heard it more than once. If that's the case, then basketball and football are not a white mans sport. There was also a soccer player that was sanctioned or something for using a racial slur against another player. The clippers owner was banned from basketball for racism after calls to his girlfriend of the time were leaked. Players in every sport have been fired for racist comments. There was a hockey player a few years ago that was fired in the middle of a game, for commenting that they needed to "get that nigger off the ice" about a black player on the opposing team. I don't remember who the two teams were. I do remember however that he was the best left wing the team had. The only ones that heard the comment were his own team. His coach heard it, pulled him off the ice, and fired him on the spot. The owner of the team had him banned from professional hockey.

Racism in professional sports is starting to look as natural to the sport as a bat is in baseball. It's a sad, sickening fact.

It's not cool to say this on the forum, probably, but a lot of groups are massively racist against whites.   If that's the case, then there will also be whites racist against others.

Anyway, people aren't perfect.  People shouldn't be racist, but sometimes stuff will slip out.  Well, are these people who say racist things, the type who say them all the time?   

O.K., here's an unpopular opinion:  maybe if people ignored hate speech the heat on it would go to the person who says it.  Isn't that what Gandhi taught? 

6 hours ago, Jayson said:

It's not cool to say this on the forum, probably, but a lot of groups are massively racist against whites.   If that's the case, then there will also be whites racist against others.

Anyway, people aren't perfect.  People shouldn't be racist, but sometimes stuff will slip out.  Well, are these people who say racist things, the type who say them all the time?   

O.K., here's an unpopular opinion:  maybe if people ignored hate speech the heat on it would go to the person who says it.  Isn't that what Gandhi taught? 

So that makes it ok?

Then that definitely makes it ok, right?

No it's not what Gandhi taught. He taught nonviolent resistance. And ignoring hate speech doesn't solve the problem. It only lets it grow and flourish. It's like ignoring a forest fire. If we don't try to put it out, it's going to keep raging and keep destroying.

I still believe that the top leaders in most of these sports especially football are not doing great when it comes to stopping racism in sports. They are mostly concerned with how much they make and that is pathetic, if you ask me because there are growing number of victims of racism on a daily basis.

No, I disagree. The world football governing body (FIFA) have tried everything they could to eradicate racism but it seems far beyond repair in the world of soccer. You can't change that completely because humans are very hard to change especially those toxic individuals.