Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

Is interracial marriage under attack by the GOP now?

It's becoming more clear by the day that American republicans are dominated by racist policy. Interracial marriage was legalized in the U.S. in 1967 by the supreme court. Republican senator Mike Braun has just said that interracial marriage should be left up to the states. 

A reporter asks, "So you would be OK with the Supreme Court leaving the question of interracial marriage to the states?”

Mike Braun, "Yes"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gop-sen-mike-braun-says-213130114.html

Why would anyone be ok with having states decide what ethnicity you can marry? Are we eventually going to have a country where half the states have a ban on marrying outside your ethnicity?

A poll was done in 2011 by Public Policy Polling and they asked this question to Mississippi republicans: "Do you think interracial marriage should be legal or illegal?"

and 46% voted to make interracial marriage illegal.

I had no idea this has been a quiet debate going on for a decade now. 

With the republican super majority supreme court, anything is possible now. We aren't racist, but we want to ban interracial marriage! They want the government to control every aspect of American lives. 

It's not surprising. The right wing is dragging us back to pre civil war times where the only ones with any rights or privileges would be white men. Women would lose any and all rights that we have and be limited to the kitchen, the laundry, and the bedroom. Blacks would have to wear body armor just to go to the store for fear of some racist asshole shooting at them for fun.

And don't even get started on the transgender community. Adolf started a transgender holocaust during his run. It would become a "kill on sight" situation if the GOP had its way.

Gosh, what an idiot.  Well, there's always a cuckoo in the bunch!    Well, then I suppose, after that we gotta figure out who qualifies as what, maybe use the "one drop rule", lol.

Oh, Mississippi was brought up.  Oh, well, they're not on a modern page that much.  I hope here in southern Appalachia it isn't the same among Republicans, but considering the Confederate nostalgia, maybe so.  Anyway, I haven't seen anyone pick on interracial couples and plenty of them are at Wal-Mart.  You see them very often.

The fact is a lot of backward people exist in the GOP and Mississippi was brought up, but it's a backward area like the old South Africa in a lot of ways.  Why is there this movement to stigmatize the whole conservative movement as being backward and inhumane? 

However, we have to define what is backward.   Well, the mid-south isn't as backward as the deep south.   Anyway, opposing abortion and other conservative ideas are not as backward or seemingly inhuman as opposing interracial marriage.  Well, the idea interracial marriage should be opposed, makes it seem too much like racism should be normalized and that goes against the modern culture "too much".  I mean, not all conservatives are the same.   Somebody's grandpa might be vastly different than the grandson.   As I was saying before, all conservatives are not the same, just as all liberals aren't.   I mean, a lot of blacks are homophobic, but yet vote for Democrats.  Should we call out "hypocrisy"?

Edited by Jayson

6 hours ago, Jayson said:

The fact is a lot of backward people exist in the GOP and Mississippi was brought up, but it's a backward area like the old South Africa in a lot of ways.  Why is there this movement to stigmatize the whole conservative movement as being backward and inhumane? 

However, we have to define what is backward.   Well, the mid-south isn't as backward as the deep south.   Anyway, opposing abortion and other conservative ideas are not as backward or seemingly inhuman as opposing interracial marriage.  Well, the idea interracial marriage should be opposed, makes it seem too much like racism should be normalized and that goes against the modern culture "too much".  I mean, not all conservatives are the same.   Somebody's grandpa might be vastly different than the grandson.   As I was saying before, all conservatives are not the same, just as all liberals aren't.   I mean, a lot of blacks are homophobic, but yet vote for Democrats.  Should we call out "hypocrisy"?

Please tell me why you keep targeting blacks? I'm sure the black members here would like to know as well.

14 hours ago, Jayson said:

I mean, a lot of blacks are homophobic, but yet vote for Democrats.  Should we call out "hypocrisy"?

Are you saying there are no gay whites that vote republican? What's with your logic always attacking blacks? It's like they are your go to point for everything. 

14 hours ago, Jayson said:

However, we have to define what is backward.   Well, the mid-south isn't as backward as the deep south. 

The deep south is pretty bad, but is the midwest or mid south any different? They support and are led by the same extremists. It doesn’t matter what part of the country. Look how Arizona in the west has become the far right fringe. Idaho in the north has now passed some heinous laws that are extremist. The mid west/south really is no different. They support the republican motto: leaders should try to outdo each other to see who is the craziest. As long as the voters support that behavior, how are they any different from any other red state? When one red state proposes something or even gets passed, all the other red states follow suit. There is no difference there. Not any more. And you say you are from the mid south or Appalachian region, but you haven't been a good representation of being any different from extremism anywhere else.

So this topic about interracial marriage even having the slightest bit of debate in the country is very concerning. Because there are voters out there who want to ban it as the poll has shown. There is a senator who thinks that states should make their own laws on interracial marriage. Now I finally understand the real reason republicans always talk about giving power to the states. And that's because they can get their extremism bills passed that way. And one state that gets something passed, no matter how awful, will lead to another state and another. Then eventually we have an unrecognizable country from one state to another. And all that does is create segregation. I wonder what the results would be if every state had a poll on interracial marriage. It should not be done, but out of curiosity and my personal assumption, I bet the number of republicans wanting to ban it would be substantial.

I also believe in states rights, but interracial marriage is not a states rights issue and never should be changed at the federal level. That would be really insane. The way republicans are worsening their integrity and looking for ways to please their base, I doubt this is the last we hear of interracial marriage.  

14 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Are you saying there are no gay whites that vote republican? What's with your logic always attacking blacks? It's like they are your go to point for everything. 

The deep south is pretty bad, but is the midwest or mid south any different? They support and are led by the same extremists. It doesn’t matter what part of the country. Look how Arizona in the west has become the far right fringe. Idaho in the north has now passed some heinous laws that are extremist. The mid west/south really is no different. They support the republican motto: leaders should try to outdo each other to see who is the craziest. As long as the voters support that behavior, how are they any different from any other red state? When one red state proposes something or even gets passed, all the other red states follow suit. There is no difference there. Not any more. And you say you are from the mid south or Appalachian region, but you haven't been a good representation of being any different from extremism anywhere else.

So this topic about interracial marriage even having the slightest bit of debate in the country is very concerning. Because there are voters out there who want to ban it as the poll has shown. There is a senator who thinks that states should make their own laws on interracial marriage. Now I finally understand the real reason republicans always talk about giving power to the states. And that's because they can get their extremism bills passed that way. And one state that gets something passed, no matter how awful, will lead to another state and another. Then eventually we have an unrecognizable country from one state to another. And all that does is create segregation. I wonder what the results would be if every state had a poll on interracial marriage. It should not be done, but out of curiosity and my personal assumption, I bet the number of republicans wanting to ban it would be substantial.

I also believe in states rights, but interracial marriage is not a states rights issue and never should be changed at the federal level. That would be really insane. The way republicans are worsening their integrity and looking for ways to please their base, I doubt this is the last we hear of interracial marriage.  

This area has too many interracial marriages for there to be laws without a lot of a stir going on.   Well, I suppose the couples could leave. 

Anyway, this whole thing is probably motivated by fear of losing political power.  It's assumed a lot of non-white groups (or mixed race groups), outside Asians maybe, are going to vote Democratic.

11 minutes ago, Jayson said:

This area has too many interracial marriages for there to be laws without a lot of a stir going on.   Well, I suppose the couples could leave. 

Anyway, this whole thing is probably motivated by fear of losing political power.  It's assumed a lot of non-white groups (or mixed race groups), outside Asians maybe, are going to vote Democratic.

So your solution is either you get to make the decision on who can marry whom or they have to get the hell out of your 'murica?

I was unaware that there were no white people who vote Democrat. As for non-whites voting democrat, that only shows that they're not stupid enough to vote republiKKKlan.
Also, who made that assumption? Was it Marjorie Taylor Greene? Tucker Carlson? Lauren Boebert? Mike Lindell? The Buffalo Man? Mike Dense? Adolf himself?

Edited by The Blackangel

4 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

So your solution is either you get to make the decision on who can marry whom or they have to get the hell out of your 'murica?

I was unaware that there were no white people who vote Democrat. As for non-whites voting democrat, that only shows that they're not stupid enough to vote republiKKKlan.
Also, who made that assumption? Was it Marjorie Taylor Greene? Tucker Carlson? Lauren Boebert? Mike Lindell? The Buffalo Man? Mike Dense? Adolf himself?

Both the Republicans and Democrats had their hand in The Drug War.  In that case, both I think were trying to keep the poor down.   Well, the democrats might want to keep them down, but not totally down.

1 minute ago, Jayson said:

Both the Republicans and Democrats had their hand in The Drug War.  In that case, both I think were trying to keep the poor down.   Well, the democrats might want to keep them down, but not totally down.

Now I'm fascinated. How the ever living fuck did the drug war get pulled into this?

• Women's Right to vote (Woodrow WIlson)
  • Social Security (FDR)
  • Minimum Wage Law (FDR)
  • Unemployment Insurance (FDR)
  • Rural Electrification Act (FDR)
  • FDIC Bank Account Insurance (FDR)
  • G.I. Bill Of Rights (FDR)
  • Securities And Exchange (FDR)
  • Marshall Plan (Truman)
  • School Lunch Program (Truman)
  • NATO (Truman)
  • Water Quality Act Of 1948 (Truman)
  • Peace Corps (Kennedy)
  • First Man On The Moon (Kennedy)
  • Civil Rights Act Of 1964 (LBJ)
  • Voting Rights Act Of 1965 (LBJ)
  • Medicare (LBJ)
  • Medicaid (LBJ)
  • Guaranteed Pell Student Loan Program (LBJ)
  • Operation Head Start (LBJ)
  • Motor Voter Act (Clinton)
  • Clinton Budget Surplus (Clinton)
  • Family And Medical Leave Act (Clinton)
  • Affordable Care Act (Obama)

Now name me a single republiKKKlan accomplishment....
If you can.

Whoever the fuck I choose to marry should be a Federal law allowing me to do so.And again we get false equivalencies with the war on drugs.A paper cut is different than having a .45 slug in your brain.I was in federal housing in 2011. I got caught with HALF a marijuana cigarette.(joint) I got served eviction papers.I went to a lawyer to see if I could overturn it. The lawyer said no it was federal law with no exceptions.He had a picture of Obama on his wall and I said it was surprising that he would allow BS like my situation would allow  it.The lawyer said oh no,this law is from the nineties when Newt fucking Gingrich and the rest of the GOP assholes had their contract on America.

That's it. I would have been homeless because of half a joint if I didn't have family in town.Do you want to talk about crack?Crack is punished 10 times as harsh as powder cocaine. I think it used to be 100 times as punishing but black and Democratic leaders have been trying to get powder and crack cocaine punished on an equal footing.The argument is crack is more addictive than snorting it. Which is not really true but let's assume it is.No one will convince me smoking crack is more addictive than using a needle to do coke. It takes about 5 seconds with a lighter  to turn powder coke into liquid to use it with a needle.This is supposed to be about inter racial marriage.The idea that Dems and republicans are the same on drugs is easily dis- proven by decades of legislation.

5 hours ago, Jayson said:

This is just another example of you ducking and diving to avoid the good points others have made so can pretend they aren't there. I am not going to waste any more of my time explaining to you why I'm not prepared to put with this anymore. Instead, I am going to make this very simple.

Stay on topic, or I promise trouble.

Is that clear enough?

And the same thing to everyone else. If @Jayson brings up something provocative, but has nothing to do with the topic at hand, it is an attempt to distract you and derail a thread because he hasn't got the balls to actually face other people's points head on. It's cowardly and trolling. If he does that again in this, or any other thread, ignore him, repot him and, like I said @Jayson...

I. PROMICE. TROUBLE.

Is everyone clear?