Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

What games do you consider to be a masterpiece?

This is only your opinion and not in any way universal. I have a few games I've played that are close to what I consider a masterpiece, but a true masterpiece I'll say The Last of Us series and Layers of Fear series.

There are some games that I think are a masterpiece in their own right which would be Assassin's Creed Odyssey and GTA 5, each with its own flaws. But I can't find any flaws that I consider in TLOU. 

Potential games I think that are borderline masterpiece have a longer list, but I'll leave it off for now as to not make this a favorite game topic, but instead a focus on MASTERPIECE

Which games would you consider to be a masterpiece?

The original Legend Of Zelda on NES is a masterpiece. It was followed by many great entries to its franchise, but nothing compares to the original.

Q*Bert is another that is a pure masterpiece. The original is perfect. And that's an understatement.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice can't be left off this list. Any game that relates to the gamer in ways like mental illness, and in the way this game approaches it, is amazing. I'm schizophrenic, the same as Senua, and seeing her deal with it is something I can more than relate to.

Tell Me Why is another that is up there along with Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. The issues it confronts, are more personal to me than they are to most.

There are many other games that I love (many of which are classics), but I wouldn't call them masterpieces.

A masterpiece should be a timeless classic something that is still fun to play and holds up graphicly and gameplay wise to this day. I won't name any new games because we don't know how foundly they will be remembered in years to come. 

(Super) street fighter 2  meets all criteria for a masterpiece : gameplay wise still rock solid, easy to get into but hard to masters, characters are still as legendary today as they are now, no matter what system you play on well expect for the gameboy version still holds up today. Yep a timeless classic i still see myself playing for the next 20-30 years. If i make it that long

Others i would include for the same reasons as above :

Sonic the Hedgehog

Super Mario World

Streets of Rage 2 

King of Fighters 98

Radiant Silvergun 

Road rash

Age of empires 2

Up until a few years ago i would have included shenmue 1 aswell but that game has aged badly and it's hard to recommend to someone who diden't play it when it was the first time around. It's also the reason i diden't include any ps1/n64/whatever else console since a lot of those early 3d games have aged badly.

21 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

Age of empires 2

Ah, AOE2. While the first one was great, AOE2 was far superior.In my opinion, the best one of the entire series. I haven't been able to play it in years, due to the incompatibility of modern computers. And I don't feel like buying it again from steam, when I already have the CD-ROM's for it.

Here's a shortlist of what I consider masterpieces.  I'll a quick shout out to Castlevainia 4 and the original Zelda based on their reputation but I haven't played them myself so I can't really say.

1. The legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  2. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
  3. The last of Us
  4. The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim
  5. Final Fantasy X
  6. Burnout 3: Takedown

On 3/28/2022 at 5:23 PM, Yaramaki said:

A masterpiece should be a timeless classic something that is still fun to play and holds up graphicly and gameplay wise to this day. I won't name any new games because we don't know how foundly they will be remembered in years to come. 

(Super) street fighter 2  meets all criteria for a masterpiece : gameplay wise still rock solid, easy to get into but hard to masters, characters are still as legendary today as they are now, no matter what system you play on well expect for the gameboy version still holds up today. Yep a timeless classic i still see myself playing for the next 20-30 years. If i make it that long

Others i would include for the same reasons as above :

Sonic the Hedgehog

Super Mario World

Streets of Rage 2 

King of Fighters 98

Radiant Silvergun 

Road rash

Age of empires 2

Up until a few years ago i would have included shenmue 1 aswell but that game has aged badly and it's hard to recommend to someone who diden't play it when it was the first time around. It's also the reason i diden't include any ps1/n64/whatever else console since a lot of those early 3d games have aged badly.

Super Mario World and Road rash are the games that I think passes the test of time. You can still play them any day and have that feeling that you are playing a game that has the quality of gameplay and proper graphics. 

On 3/29/2022 at 8:15 PM, StaceyPowers said:

TLOU, TLOU 2, BioShock, and BioShock Infinite. I adore BioShock 2, but it mostly just built on what BioShock did, so I don't feel I can give it the same status (though I also feel it is severely underrated).

There was no way The Last Of Us Part I & II wouldn't be justified as a perfect masterpiece. What do you think about Mortal Kombat 11? 

I think for games to be considered masterpieces they have to excel on all fronts. I  can adore the story and characters in a game, but if it lacks in  other areas I would not call it a masterpiece.  Also some games are very much limited by their creation date, so while they are masterpieces of  their era, they might seem inadequate by modern standards.

So here is a list of games that I consider masterpieces, I will not go into detail due to the  sheer number, but feel free to ask me about any, I can gladly recommend any of these games.

• Dune II (1992)
  • Raptor Call of the Shadows (1994)
  • Doom II (1994)
  • Tie Fighter (1994)
  • Transport Tycoon Deluxe (1995)
  • The Need For Speed (1995)
  • Wing Commander IV (1996)
  • Carmageddon II (1998)
  • Half-Life (1998)
  • X-Wing Alliance (1999)
  • System Shock 2 (1999)
  • Mobil 1 Rally Championship (1999)
  • Screamer 4x4 (2000)
  • Deus Ex (2000)
  • Red Alert 2 (2000)
  • Max Payne (2001)
  • Mafia The City of Lost Heaven (2002)
  • Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour (2003)
  • Max Payne 2 The Fall of Max Payne (2003)
  • Gran Turismo 4 (2004)
  • Richard Burns Rally (2004)
  • Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (2005)
  • Test Drive Unlimited (2006)
  • Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (2006)
  • Crysis Warhead (2008)
  • Mass Effect 2 (2010)
  • GTA IV: Episodes From Liberty City (2010)
  • Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2011)
  • Dragon Age II (2011)
  • Portal 2 (2011)
  • Alien Isolation (2014)
  • Mad Max (2015)
  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (2016)
  • Ghost Recon Wildlands (2017)
  • XCOM2: War of the Chosen (2017)
  • The Last of Us II (2020)

Maybe on a different day a few more games would make the cut, maybe a few wouldn't make it.