Register Now
Yaramaki

Timed Exclusives Games

Seems like sony is becoming king in netting timed exclusives games for their playstation consoles, now with the recent releases of ghostwire, deathloop and kena : bridge of spirits apperently all being timed exclusives this has got me wondering, what do you think off this practice? is it a good thing or a waste of money? Let's discuss!!

9 minutes ago, Heatman said:

I don't really think that Sony would be open to getting in on a problem that's going to be a lose of money for them. They are that greedy for it. 

Hahaha! Sony has made a lot of money off gamers in the past 24 years or so and they are not stopping yet. These new packages are all set out to take money off the people too.

6 hours ago, Knight Barida said:

Hahaha! Sony has made a lot of money off gamers in the past 24 years or so and they are not stopping yet. These new packages are all set out to take money off the people too.

sony made me poorer over the years, but what has this to do with the topic at hand, it's about timed exclusive games/content. I just had to give an example and sony seemed to be doing this a lot in recent times.

I remember when Rise of the tomb raider was an exclusive to microsoft for a year, it did the game more harm then good. in other words Timed exclusivity is just pure bullshit in the end.

On 3/25/2022 at 8:25 AM, Knight Barida said:

It's why the gaming industry have been this way for a while now and it's only going to get worse in my opinion. 

6 hours ago, Heatman said:

It's why the gaming industry have been this way for a while now and it's only going to get worse in my opinion. 

I don't think making more money by releasing exclusive games by Sony will mean things getting worse for them. They are one of the biggest players in the gaming industry and it will take a while for a serious competitor to come up.

On 3/25/2022 at 3:13 PM, Yaramaki said:

sony made me poorer over the years, but what has this to do with the topic at hand, it's about timed exclusive games/content. I just had to give an example and sony seemed to be doing this a lot in recent times.

I remember when Rise of the tomb raider was an exclusive to microsoft for a year, it did the game more harm then good. in other words Timed exclusivity is just pure bullshit in the end.

It's all about the money for them and it's why they have structured all their time exclusive games the way they are and it's getting exactly what they are designed for them. 

Lol, i created this thread but never really got a straight answer from anybody.

A time exclusive is A release of a game on one platform , with releases on other platforms to occur only at a later date.

For example Tokyo ghostwire is supposed to be exclusive to ps5 for a year orso, before it gets released on xbox/pc.

My question was : what do you think off this practice? is it a good thing or a waste of money for a company? 

My answer : it's a waste of money and does the game more harm then good, for example rise of the tomb raider was exclusive to xbox for a year and that did the game more harm then it did good. 

Edited by Yaramaki

9 minutes ago, Yaramaki said:

Lol, i created this thread but never really got a straight answer from anybody.

A time exclusive is A release of a game on one platform , with releases on other platforms to occur only at a later date.

For example Tokyo ghostwire is supposed to be exclusive to ps5 for a year orso, before it gets released on xbox/pc.

My question was : what do you think off this practice? is it a good thing or a waste of money for a company? 

My answer : it's a waste of money and does the game more harm then good, for example rise of the tomb raider was exclusive to xbox for a year and that did the game more harm then it did good. 

Now the real question is why do they keep doing that if it's a complete waste of money for the company? It doesn't really add up at all. 

10 minutes ago, Heatman said:

Now the real question is why do they keep doing that if it's a complete waste of money for the company? It doesn't really add up at all. 

Its not a waste of money though, the reason why they do this is to attract more customers to their platform. Let me give you an example, when COD modernwarfare came out in 2019 there was a specific game mode that was only available at first on Playstation, so for the people who where eager to play that game mode they had to get a Playstation copy, therefore increasing the sales on Playstation and at the same time taken away sales from Xbox and PC. eventually that game mode got released to the rest of the gaming platforms, but it did serve as an incentive for gamer to choose Playstation over Xbox. So basically thats the whole point of Timed exclusive games, to take away sales from other platforms. The practice in a way hurts and benefits gamers from opposite platforms, I personally dont like it but at the end of the day the whole purpose of gaming companies is to make money and that is never going to change.

7 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Its not a waste of money though, the reason why they do this is to attract more customers to their platform. Let me give you an example, when COD modernwarfare came out in 2019 there was a specific game mode that was only available at first on Playstation, so for the people who where eager to play that game mode they had to get a Playstation copy, therefore increasing the sales on Playstation and at the same time taken away sales from Xbox and PC. eventually that game mode got released to the rest of the gaming platforms, but it did serve as an incentive for gamer to choose Playstation over Xbox. So basically thats the whole point of Timed exclusive games, to take away sales from other platforms. The practice in a way hurts and benefits gamers from opposite platforms, I personally dont like it but at the end of the day the whole purpose of gaming companies is to make money and that is never going to change.

I know for certain that if it's what they have made a habit of doing always, it have more positive advantage to them than disadvantage. No video games companies wants to operate in losses. 

It may benefit the publisher for that exclusive period to interest the customers but the developer will suffer with lower sales, marketing and publicity during that period. So I think it benefits the publisher and hurts the developer. It’s a great opportunity for Indie developers to sort of get sponsored by a publisher and be exclusive. For big titles not so much. 

4 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

It may benefit the publisher for that exclusive period to interest the customers but the developer will suffer with lower sales, marketing and publicity during that period. So I think it benefits the publisher and hurts the developer. It’s a great opportunity for Indie developers to sort of get sponsored by a publisher and be exclusive. For big titles not so much. 

If Indie developers should get the support that they need in the gaming industry, they are definitely going to make games that's going rival a lot of the AAA games we know.