Register Now
Shagger

Do we need somewhere for people to "chat" instead of the amount of PM style posts going on in the forum?

@Shagger
I apologize if my comment came out in a wrong way, but you have to acknowledge my concern, as soon as you mentioned the possibility of post being deleted as a punishment to those who make spam posts or "low quality" post it made me worry, like you said we are human sometimes we will agree or disagree with our actions or comments, like for example what If I made a simple post and you or anothe mod deemed it as a low quality post ? This is all gray area so thats what I wanted reassurance that if a rule like that was implemented there was at least some type of process behind it.

I still think that deleting posts might not be the solution, or any other type of punishment for that matter. But again dont get me wrong I dont want to defend these people, in fact I usually spend most of my days here arguing in some way on another with them and I know they dont like me. But at the same time I want the forum to grow and if possible retain those members, and I support you we need to do something about this asap, Im just concern about the approach. I already said it but Im afraid that if we start threatening members with deleting post it might turn them away. We should also focus on retaining members, the forum is already small as it is, If we dont learn how shift the direction of  their spamming behavior this is just going to keep happening again with new members.
I was thinking about this a lot during the weekend and I just realized that the first page that we see when we enter the forum is the Latest replies, I dont know a lot about web programming so I dont know how much of a hassle this will be but what if instead the first page becomes the latest topics that are posted not the ones that are replied to. I know this can be currently done on the settings but not a lot of people bother with that so that might be the problem, if by default we see on the page the latest topics posted and hide the replies maybe we can work around this issue, I dont know Im just thinking out loud.

@Crazycrab

Sorry man I have to disagree on this one as well, I dont like the idea of a limit or a timer on the amount of posts. Im also tired of scrolling through hundreds of replies (something that Im doing right now actually) but I dont think thats a good a idea.

@Shagger @The Blackangel
Thank you both for you reassurance 

43 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

@Boblee Hey man do you want to join the conversation ? I would like to hear what you think , thank you

I'm still feeling sore for getting threatened over a reaction of haha on a post, over a reaction. Like are you kidding me? I believe as adult's, there are things you look over or past but that's not the case here. 

I will chip in my opinion on this when I feel a bit calm headed about the threat I got yesterday. 

Just now, Boblee said:

I'm still feeling sore for getting threatened over a reaction of haha on a post, over a reaction. Like are you kidding me? I believe as adult's, there are things you look over or past but that's not the case here. 

I will chip in my opinion on this when I feel a bit calm headed about the threat I got yesterday. 

Thank you, looking forward to it.

@Head_Hunter @Justin11 @Heatman @egghead guys would you like to pitch in to this conversation? You are valuable members of the forum ,It will be much appreciated if we can hear your side as well. 

On 3/29/2022 at 1:27 PM, Heatman said:

This have already solved the question or inquiry to me because it fits in perfectly for all manner of discussion that falls outside gaming discussion. Setting up any other section is duplication of the work. 

@kingpotatoI have actually made an input on this subject, maybe you missed this and I was labeled one of worst offenders 

On 3/29/2022 at 3:37 PM, Shagger said:

I don't want to be rude, but I don't think there is a nice way to ask this. As one of the worst offenders who thinks that's the answer, why don't you use the general discussion sub-forum like that?

So, @kingpotatoin light to that, I decided to remove myself from the talk but since you asked for my input again, you will get it.

On the part of text chain raised by @Shagger, I can well admit that I do that and it's not like I'm trying to hurt the forum or anything but cos I am online and probably have another who's on the same thread, so the discussion tend to go longer than the usual. Yeah, I do know sometimes we drift off topic but that's a normal thing that happens in all discussion sections.

As for shit post coined and marketed here, I will remove myself from it because I don't think I'm one to post jargon just for the sake of making a post. 

So, in the light of this issue, if the mods believe that a chat space would help the situation, I don't see any harm in trying it and if it works, voila, if it doesn't, another option can be explored. 

This is my opinion by the way and I expect not be attacked yet again cos of it. 

Thanks 🙇

2 minutes ago, Heatman said:

@kingpotatoI have actually made an input on this subject, maybe you missed this and I was labeled one of worst offenders 

So, @kingpotatoin light to that, I decided to remove myself from the talk but since you asked for my input again, you will get it.

On the part of text chain raised by @Shagger, I can well admit that I do that and it's not like I'm trying to hurt the forum or anything but cos I am online and probably have another who's on the same thread, so the discussion tend to go longer than the usual. Yeah, I do know sometimes we drift off topic but that's a normal thing that happens in all discussion sections.

As for shit post coined and marketed here, I will remove myself from it because I don't think I'm one to post jargon just for the sake of making a post. 

So, in the light of this issue, if the mods believe that a chat space would help the situation, I don't see any harm in trying it and if it works, voila, if it doesn't, another option can be explored. 

This is my opinion by the way and I expect not be attacked yet again cos of it. 

Thanks 🙇

Thank you man, yes sorry seems I didnt notice your previus response about this, but thank you for further explaning your point. 

You are right discussions will always drift from the the main topic becuase thats the nature of a conversation,its normal and it cannot be helped and I do understand that you are not doing this with bad intentions. I believe that the thing that many of us here were complaining about is when it drifted for 2-3 pages long and that affected the topic itself. Yeah a chat space was already mentioned before, I dont know if that would work personally or if it will be beneficial. I think its okay if the conversations drift On from the main topic a little bit as long as they dont expand as long as they did before. Once again thank you for pitching in.

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

Thank you man, yes sorry seems I didnt notice your previus response about this, but thank you for further explaning your point. 

You are right discussions will always drift from the the main topic becuase thats the nature of a conversation,its normal and it cannot be helped and I do understand that you are not doing this with bad intentions. I believe that the thing that many of us here were complaining about is when it drifted for 2-3 pages long and that affected the topic itself. Yeah a chat space was already mentioned before, I dont know if that would work personally or if it will be beneficial. I think its okay if the conversations drift On from the main topic a little bit as long as they dont expand as long as they did before. Once again thank you for pitching in.

Is it possible to stop members from going off topic in discussions...? It's almost impossible to do that but if we can put in more efforts in staying on topic as much as we can, then it's going to be very helpful. 

This is what I can add for now. 

1 hour ago, Boblee said:

Is it possible to stop members from going off topic in discussions...? It's almost impossible to do that but if we can put in more efforts in staying on topic as much as we can, then it's going to be very helpful. 

This is what I can add for now. 

You are 100% correct. It is impossible to stop people form going off topic in discussions. It can't be done. Whether that individual is doing it on purpose to "post farm" as @Patrik described it, or because they didn't care enough actually ask themselves the question, "Is what I'm about to post worth posting?". Or, indeed, whatever it was that compelled @Justin11 to think that trying to divert a conversation on a thread about "Driver" from a relatable post about "Watchdogs" to Moto GP for... some reason. And yes, @Boblee, I did see your reply on that thread. And no, the answer is not restrictions, that's a last resort that nobody wants, at least partially because that doesn't even hit at the heart of the problem. Me, @kingpotato, and others have said it several times. The answer if for the people who do this, whether they know they are doing it or not, to stop. Stop, and think about what they post. I'm not going to repeat myself, so this is what I said earlier in this very thread.

On 4/9/2022 at 1:29 PM, Shagger said:

Please, all we ask is that you post to this forum like it's a forum. Let me make it clear that what you are about to read it my own, personal guide and it comes only from me, not the authority of VGR. They are not hard-line rules

• Use common sense when choosing to reply to a thread. When did the thread last get a reply? Is the thread dead? is the conversation still relevant? What of value can I really add to it? Would it be more appropriate to reply to this individual in a private message or a post to his/her profile?
  • Use common sense when crafting your reply to a thread. I understand that English is not the first language for many of you, but do try to make your post legible. If English is not your first language, that's all the more reason to take your time. In your reply, make your point and/or address some else's point to give us a perspective of yourself. State why you feel that way. Do you agree or not agree with what others are saying? State why you feel that way. Give details.
  • Use common sense when creating a new topic. Again, I understand that English is not the first language for many of you, but do try to make your opening post legible. If English is not your first language, that's all the more reason to take your time. Ask yourself, "Is this thread necessary?". I know that posting threads about already existing subjects is something of a grey area, but if the alternative is to reply to long, inactive thread with few in terms of replies and out of date information, assume it's ok to start a new one. Again, common sense. Craft your title with care. Make sure it's clear on showing what the topic is about. Remember, on VGR, the thread title forms the URL, so think about a title that will make the post visible on search engines. For example, if you are posting about a fix for a game breaking bug, you want the thread to be picked up by people searching for a solution to that same bug so they come to our forum for the answer. In the post, make it clear what subject is. Add external references or even graphics if you are up to it to validate the topic and make it stand out. State how you feel overall and why you feel that way. Tell us how you feel the situation you describe in the thread can be improve. Encourage others to state how the feel about it and why. If it's a news or political topic, link any articles or YouTube videos you found on the subject. And above all, make it worth it. If the opening thread will end up as one or two sentences with no external references, odds are it won't be.

It isn't difficult. All everyone has to understand is that this is a forum and what that means. There is only so many more times I can say it and I have literally run out of ways too say it. The message is out there, posted by myself and others, on the forum and even through PM's for some people. Just stop, and then think about what it is you are about to post is worth. I question the choice to post or not every time as part of the process of figuring out what to say. "Is this relevant?",  "Do I need to post this?",  "What will this post add?", "Does this answer anyone's question (including a question not directly asked)? "Does this ask a question worth asking?". If I keep getting no to these questions and then be faced with the choice to post nothing, or make a post anyway that may as well be nothing, I post nothing. As does anyone with respect for the forum.

Most of these theses posts aren't even proof read in any way, riddled with spelling errors and typos,  a true testament to how little the people that post them care about them. I know my spelling typing is atrocious, but at least I try. I have read read through this very post on no less than five occasions before deciding I was satisfied with it.

That is all that is being asked, to think. Is that really so much?

I believe the topic determines the length of the post, some posts need just 1-2 lines where as some posts need in-depth analysis. If you take  note of real world communication you will discover that within 60 minutes of discussion people will be talking about so many things, they might start with weather, than move to game and end up talking about politics. Likewise in a forum, people could be talking about different things in a thread about Minecraft. I think this is natural. This is how real world communication goes. It is the moderator's job to remind people to come back to the topic, you cannot call everyone a spammer or low quality posters just because they are not the "experts."

31 minutes ago, egghead said:

I believe the topic determines the length of the post, some posts need just 1-2 lines where as some posts need in-depth analysis. If you take  note of real world communication you will discover that within 60 minutes of discussion people will be talking about so many things, they might start with weather, than move to game and end up talking about politics. Likewise in a forum, people could be talking about different things in a thread about Minecraft. I think this is natural. This is how real world communication goes. It is the moderator's job to remind people to come back to the topic, you cannot call everyone a spammer or low quality posters just because they are not the "experts."

I'm sorry, but that is not what a forum is. It's structured discussion. That's why a forum is divided up into different areas for different themes of discussion. So, like it or not, it is not OK for a conversation to to flow towards the weather on a Minecraft thread. That is not what a forum is. People need to understand that there is a difference between this and a chat room or social media thread.

On 4/15/2022 at 7:36 AM, egghead said:

I believe the topic determines the length of the post, some posts need just 1-2 lines where as some posts need in-depth analysis. If you take note of real world communication you will discover that within 60 minutes of discussion people will be talking about so many things, they might start with weather, than move to game and end up talking about politics. Likewise in a forum, people could be talking about different things in a thread about Minecraft. I think this is natural. This is how real world communication goes. It is the moderator's job to remind people to come back to the topic, you cannot call everyone a spammer or low quality posters just because they are not the "experts."

True, it is our job to remind people to get back on topic. That is a part of the job. But it shouldn't have to be. We shouldn't have to tell people to get back on topic. I understand that topics derail easily. But if we have to step in and tell people to get back on topic, then the derailment of discussion has gone much further than it ever should have. If a discussion goes off topic, and you want to continue that discussion, then make a separate thread in the appropriate forum and continue the discussion there. That way the initial thread can get back on topic. I know that @Shagger, @DC, and myself would appreciate that as it would make our jobs easier, as well as make the forum run smoother. And I'm pretty sure the entire forum would appreciate that as well.

It would also end a lot of headaches for everyone here.

23 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

True, it is our job to remind people to get back on topic. That is a part of the job. But it shouldn't have to be. We shouldn't have to tell people to get back on topic. I understand that topics derail easily. But if we have to step in and tell people to get back on topic, then the derailment of discussion has gone much further than it ever should have. If a discussion goes off topic, and you want to continue that discussion, then make a separate thread in the appropriate forum and continue the discussion there. That way the initial thread can get back on topic. I know that @Shagger, @DC, and myself would appreciate that as it would make our jobs easier, as well as make the forum run smoother. And I'm pretty sure the entire forum would appreciate that as well.

It would also end a lot of headaches for everyone here.

Well put, and welcome back.

I agree that we need to create separate threads if we end up talking off topic. But sometimes a certain member quotes your post on something, and you end up replying to that and your post would sway away from topic. This, I think, is natural.

From what I have picked out so far, it's all about awareness. Even though your post gets quoted, once you're aware the topic have deviated from its original context, you can either put it back on track or create a new topic based on the discussion you were having and continue it from there. It's when we get lost in the discussion that we won't be aware, we have moved far away from the OP initial topic.