Register Now
Shagger

Do we need somewhere for people to "chat" instead of the amount of PM style posts going on in the forum?

3 hours ago, egghead said:

I agree that we need to create separate threads if we end up talking off topic. But sometimes a certain member quotes your post on something, and you end up replying to that and your post would sway away from topic. This, I think, is natural.

You need to stop with this "natural flow of conversation" bullshit. I feel like I've said this to you in every way I can say it and I don't know how to make it clearer. This a forum. It is not twitter, it is not reddit, it is not discord and it is certainly not a real life conversation. It is a forum. Structured, organised discussion and debate is what happens on a forum, it is not a chat around a cup coffee with your friends. A thread has topic, and you stick to that topic, that's the deal. Why is that so difficult for you to grasp?

On 4/22/2022 at 10:27 AM, Shagger said:

You need to stop with this "natural flow of conversation" bullshit. I feel like I've said this to you in every way I can say it and I don't know how to make it clearer. This a forum. It is not twitter, it is not reddit, it is not discord and it is certainly not a real life conversation. It is a forum. Structured, organised discussion and debate is what happens on a forum, it is not a chat around a cup coffee with your friends. A thread has topic, and you stick to that topic, that's the deal. Why is that so difficult for you to grasp?

I know that this issue have caused you particularly a lot of headaches and probably some other people here but I'm sure it's been stressed enough and with time, things will be better the way it should be. I'm trying my best to be on topic most of the time because I hate being cautioned over and over again. 

1 hour ago, Boblee said:

I know that this issue have caused you particularly a lot of headaches and probably some other people here but I'm sure it's been stressed enough and with time, things will be better the way it should be. I'm trying my best to be on topic most of the time because I hate being cautioned over and over again. 

The sooner all of gets in line with this, the better for us all because on the getting cautioned part, once I get any notification of PM from any of the mod, my heart skips so fast like one being held at gun point, thinking what I have done wrong this time around. 

Just think before you post. If you’ve been warned about a certain posting habit, especially if it’s more than once, then you should rethink even posting you comment. It’s not any more fun for us to have to send out warnings about this kind of thing, than it is for anyone to receive them. We have other responsibilities that should take precedent over sending repeated warnings.

So just take a couple minutes to think. Use your head, and you should be just fine. That’s all we really ask of everyone.

1 hour ago, Techno said:

Has anyone mentioned a chatbox option? You know like having a chatbox so people can just chat with one another.

Here's an example of what I mean:

Chatbox.png

I think that just about all of us know how a chatbox works. It's how to moderate it and the rest that might be something to talk about. 

2 hours ago, Techno said:

Has anyone mentioned a chatbox option? You know like having a chatbox so people can just chat with one another.

Chatbox.png

This is one of the possibilities that has been discussed. I'm personally a little sceptical because most of these irrelevant posts work off each other, so those doing will likely migrate back to threads and not use it. Still, if you have any suggestions for specific apps and plugins that you've seen on other forums please send them to me in a PM .

2 hours ago, Techno said:

Chatbox.png

This looks nice. Judging from the name on the chatbox picture, I think it's a forum managed by one admin on Forum Promotion. 

I'm putting this here because everyone needs to read this and this discussion needs to be reignited. This is about the recent conduct of one of our newer members @Jasmin and how it has lead to this post here.

1801428111_Jasmin2022-06-152.thumb.png.adaa9ce4e17be4d810c416e8eefa5acf.png

After making a comment like that, I was not going to allow @Jasmin continue to post on VGR without rescinding that comment and promising to put effort into her content on VGR. At the time of me typing this, she had not done so, but will update if she does. As most of you are aware, we have had trouble in recent weeks and months with people posting just up the count with little to no care over the quality, forethought and purpose of what they post, just putting up anything at all so long as it's a post. That's why this very thread exists. This behaviour has been going on for some time with many of our members and we have been trying to discourage it on VGR with mixed levels of success. Clearly, there is still work to be done.

@Jasmin's attitude with regard to what is expected of people as part of this community and contributing to this forum is obviously wrong, but in her deference, I do not believe she is 100% at fault. The habits of too many people on VGR who post farm is what gave this person the impression that this how we're supposed do it on VGR. @Head_Hunter, @Heatman@Justin11 and others, this is the fruit of your labour. It's your continued insistence on posting like this despite serval efforts on my part to make it clear posting in these spurts of posts in the dozens with 2-3 minute gaps between posts is harmful to the forum. Not only is it a bad example and a bad impression, but these post end up generic, soulless, badly written and virtually pointless and that's if there're on topic at all. These posts also tend to be made in the wake of little to no effort to actually read threads accurately, which not only leads to inaccurate replies, but is also very unfair to other members who actually put effort into what they post. The bare minimum VGR members deserve is to have thier posts read and understood before someone replies to them. EVERONE deserves at least that on VGR.

But because of long term members who continue to post in this unhelpful manner, this is what newcomers to the forum like @Jasmin think they are supposed to do, that this is what is expected. I'd say @Dannyjax, @Aniekwe and @Clasher, like @Jasmin are also newcomers to the forum who are also starting to follow the same path and this is very worrying. Trust me, this is not what we want.

This has to stop, now.

I'd recommending once again that @DC alter the way points are offered to not reward this behaviour, but what we really need is people to go back through this thread, read what people are saying, take the advice on board and post like you care, unlike @Jasmin.

And if you're reading this @Jasmin, I asked only the same of you. All I really wanted you to do is understand your perception of what people are expected to do is wrong. Still, it's you choice to come back or not, but if you do I want to see a new attitude.

Edited by Shagger

@Shaggeryou may be beating a dead horse but I'm glad this is being brought back up because if i'm being honest i was about ready to call it a day and log out and i don't know if/when i would come back. Being chosen member of the month of may 2022 made me stick around and the fact i've been nominated 3 times in the last 4 months made me feel like people appreciate me here for who i am and what i stand for and offcourse There are some genuinely awesome people here including yourself offcourse that i love to have a juicy discussion with because that is what a messageboard is for imo.

But the past few weeks it's damn near impossible to keep up with board to read everithing and let alone reply to something that interest me, it's kind of discouraging whenever i see the latest posts of the general gaming section are made by one person. I don't know if a chat function will change anything about this behaviour because we already have the general chat section for that but who am i to talk. A max post amount a day would be better imo but like i said who am i to judge.

Edited by Yaramaki

All,

I am working on some changes to address the above issues. Jasmin, Boblee, & Head-Hunter posting abilities have been permanently disabled.

Heatman has been asked to take much needed 'cooling' off from VGR. I will temporarily disable his posting abilities if my instruction is not followed.

I've sent firm PMs to Clasher, Dannyjax, & Aniekwe but have not yet taken action. I am giving them a chance to make a change and will be monitoring closely along with @The Blackangel and @Shagger

As always, we look to the community for feedback. @Withywarlock @kingpotato @killamch89 @Yaramaki @Reality vs Adventure @Crazycrab etc etc

Thanks for your patience and continued support of VGR. 

11 hours ago, DC said:

All,

I am working on some changes to address the above issues. Jasmin, Boblee, & Head-Hunter posting abilities have been permanently disabled.

Heatman has been asked to take much needed 'cooling' off from VGR. I will temporarily disable his posting abilities if my instruction is not followed.

I've sent firm PMs to Clasher, Dannyjax, & Aniekwe but have not yet taken action. I am giving them a chance to make a change and will be monitoring closely along with @The Blackangel and @Shagger

As always, we look to the community for feedback. @Withywarlock @kingpotato @killamch89 @Yaramaki @Reality vs Adventure @Crazycrab etc etc

You made some tough calls, but I feel you made the right ones. I'm confident that this is a step in the right direction.

15 hours ago, DC said:

All,

I must confess that I was very shocked when I got your PM because I never saw that coming. For a little time I have been here, @Shaggerhave only asked me once to rewrite one of my post as it wasn't clear for easy understanding which I did. Since then, I haven't gotten an warnings or directions on how to get my posting right.

But in everything, I take your update from the PM in good faith and I will try my best to always write something meaningful whenever I'm here. 

@Shaggerplease always feel free to put me through whenever you see the need to. I appreciate that and your help the last time. 

We do our best to keep conversations interesting, engaging, and clear for all who choose to take part in said conversation. But issues arise with some choosing to post nonsensical replies, that (quite often) have nothing to do with the topic at hand. Some members are worse at this than others. We also understand that English is not everyone's first language. We absolutely do take that into consideration when dealing with part of the community. Language barriers can often have a large impact on how someone responds. But others seem to simply not care. Those are the main problem members that we are forced to deal with. We try to be as fair as possible, but sometimes we simply can't do it anymore as it becomes completely pointless. Not because we give up, but because the member in question refuses to listen after multiple warnings.

So take this to heart: make sure you have read the initial post for the thread and know what the OP is talking about. Read through the replies. And above all, make sure you know what you're talking about when you reply.

The forum's looking a lot cleaner and discussion is far easier to take part in now that the cliques have been mopped up. I look forward to finally being able to rejoin conversation rather than derailing one that's gone on for pages. It's not nice to see full pages of "you've chosen to ignore content from [x]," and I'm glad to see those running the place agree.

I hope this message becomes loud and clear to any would-be points farmers that think this place is easy pickings. For now though, I commend the admin and moderation crew for making the tough - but absolutely necessary - calls to get rid of those users who had been frequently warned.

All of this said, getting back to the original point: there is still room for a chat box or casual message space (see DarkSpyro's walls, etc.). This may well be the prevention before the cure that's needed. Otherwise, my feedback in other thread still stands. I appreciate that it's been acted upon.

Edited by Withywarlock