Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games that end with more questions than answers

This can be both a negative and a positive. Some games simply don't tie loose ends as sequel bait, others do it deliberately, while still others just fail to present a coherent epilogue.

For Example Alien Isolation has no closure, and arguably you end up in a worse situation than you started from, which seems to set up a sequel that sadly never came.

Beyond Two Souls, is a weird game, with lots of spirituality and the ending is completely nuts, but in a good way. From all the Quantic Dream games, this is my favorite.

Mass Effect 3's ending raises  more questions because it is poorly written, based on contrivances and plot points that basically mean the end of known civilization if you take it at face value.

Metal Gear Solid 2 certainly counts.  It's one of the most rushed, convoluted and confusing endings ever and not just in gaming. literally the very least spoken words are Solid Snake responding to it with a very confused "What the hell!?"

Edited by Crazycrab

Most of From Software's games appear to be deliberately obtuse, and further more no small amount of their vocal fanbase expects me to eat that up. I'm playing Elden Ring which is much more liberal with its use of paragraphs, but I fail to see why George R.R. Martin was consulted. I'd have added a few extra sentences to make the game intelligable for free. More baffling than that for all the lore videos a lot of it comes down to theory and plain guesswork, which doesn't really help. My theory is the developers put a load of good ideas together and just gave them the same art style so it looks somewhat coherent, but then that loses a lot of the magic of this being 'mythology happening in real time', doesn't it?

I had to look it up and apparently Martin's role was not insignificant, but I dunno, this meme holds water.

On 3/31/2022 at 10:43 PM, Patrik said:

in Mafia 2 (and since the game is still uncompleted taking on consideration that 5 complete chapters were deleted before the final release) has a mystery ending with nobody knowing the fate of Joe Barbaro, unless you play Mafia 3 

Seriously, a lot of questions was handling all over how Mafia 2  ended. I'm even still trying to play Mafia 3 in order to know the outcome of some. 

On 4/27/2022 at 8:19 PM, Heatman said:

Seriously, a lot of questions was handling all over how Mafia 2  ended. I'm even still trying to play Mafia 3 in order to know the outcome of some. 

you don't have to play the whole game to know the plot about joe, all it takes is a cutscene 😉

7 minutes ago, Patrik said:

you don't have to play the whole game to know the plot about joe, all it takes is a cutscene 😉

Or one can even check out good reviews on the game and have just about everything analyzed how it played out. 

On 3/31/2022 at 10:39 PM, Crazycrab said:

Metal Gear Solid 2 certainly counts.  It's one of the most rushed, convoluted and confusing endings ever and not just in gaming. literally the very least spoken words are Solid Snake responding to it with a very confused "What the hell!?"

Nothing good ever comes from having a game rushed. It always makes a mess of a game that's supposed to be a big hit. 

7 hours ago, Heatman said:

The relationship Kuja  and Necron who all of a sudden happens to be the final boss in Final Fantasy IX still have a lot of questions all over it. 

Initially, we all thought that it was Queen Brahne that's main antagonist but we were all wrong. They keep getting everything twisted. 

22 hours ago, Boblee said:

Initially, we all thought that it was Queen Brahne that's main antagonist but we were all wrong. They keep getting everything twisted. 

Seriously, that's where they started throwing all of us off balance with the development of the story. It was so confusing.