Register Now
kingpotato

E3 2022 cancelled

E3 2022 has been offically cancelled including the digital even that was originally planned for this year. Honestly in my opinion the event has been loosing strenght over the years, mostly likely we will not see the an E3 again in a long time

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2022-has-been-canceled-including-its-digital-only-component/1100-6502074/

With the information gotten from games spot, I think the organisers are hoping to regroup on a larger volume and host the E3 in 2023. I don't know if such gonna take place digitally as planned earlier, let's see how it will go. 

This has been a long time coming. Game publishers, especially the major ones and console manufactures, with good reason see more befit into just doing thier own announcements and streaming events. It's better for us as well I'd say. Publishers building thier development schedules and announcement time frames around ES is archaic these days and only causes problems.

This might not be a popular opinion but, I actually kinda like E3.  I know it's wasteful and kinda pointless today but I enjoyed that big stage shows, the major announcements, the rumours and even laughing at the cringe (especially when it's Ubisoft that take the stage).  It has given us so some cool moments over the years, like when Sony announced that they won't be that DRM bullshit that Microsoft had announced on their console at the time:

52 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

This might not be a popular opinion but, I actually kinda like E3.  I know it's wasteful and kinda pointless today but I enjoyed that big stage shows, the major announcements, the rumours and even laughing at the cringe (especially when it's Ubisoft that take the stage).  It has given us so some cool moments over the years, like when Sony announced that they won't be that DRM bullshit that Microsoft had announced on their console at the time:

Lol, yeah bloody brilliant move from sony they already won the console war from microsoft before it even started.

They did the same nearly 20 years earlier announcing the ps1 would cost 299$, while the saturn was 399$. Man it's crazy that sony always made the maximum from their competitors mistakes. They won 2 console generations fairly easy that way.

Edited by Yaramaki

From a very thinly optimistic viewpoint this could be seen as good given Covid-19 continues its spread, and it's good on the Entertainment Standards Authority (ESA) to recognise that as one of the reasons (at least, for the physical event). There will of course be less benevolent reasons behind this such as the costs, competition and coverage not working in their favour, but the ESA has other revenue streams to keep them afloat. I wonder if journalists are still feeling the sting from the ESA's leaking of their personal information, which will lose the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3)'s traditional media coverage. More on that later.

E3's definitely become more entertaining for gamers than investors, but having to split those interests makes it difficult for E3 to survive as an expo and a con; the latter type of event goes smoothly because they know their audience and how to cater to them without compromising. And what would E3 look like today? Just over 40 companies would've attended the 2020 expo, compared to previous years where over 100 would attend. I can't imagine E3's numbers ever going back up, even if/when the current pandemic becomes a distant memory.

They've really missed a trick with the lack of digital coverage though; Geoff Keighley's Summer Game Fest announcement is the slam-dunk on E3 that the Playstation 4 announcement was to the Xbone, as remembered above.

It's not a particularly impressive 'called it' but I had suspected 2020/1 would be E3's final year. It's all but confirmed that it's done for. Whether it comes back in some form or another in years to come I don't know, but E3 as we know it has gone the way of the official console print magazine. The closest thing I can see to E3 continuing is a greatly toned down digital show that will only retain name value.

Edited by Withywarlock

On 4/1/2022 at 6:59 AM, Shagger said:

This has been a long time coming. Game publishers, especially the major ones and console manufactures, with good reason see more befit into just doing thier own announcements and streaming events. It's better for us as well I'd say. Publishers building thier development schedules and announcement time frames around ES is archaic these days and only causes problems.

I have to agree - E3 has been pretty dull for the past 5 years but the pandemic helped accelerate E3's demise. I used to tune in to watch E3 back in the days but I lost interest in it since 2016.

On 4/17/2022 at 1:52 AM, Candy Stick said:

Still absolutely nothing from Capcom about the RE8 DLC. I was looking forward to E3 because of other potential news about different games besides RE. 

A big let down. 

I think we have exhausted that for a while now because as far as Resident Evil 8 DLC is concerned, they aren't planning anything for it now.