Register Now
Crazycrab

VGR being Plagiarized (incompetently) by igamenews

The only thing I can think of that would be an issue here on the forum, would be if someone posted something they had copyrighted and the bot (or person) copied it over to that forum. Then there could be legal ramifications. But to my knowledge no one has posted anything that is under copyright. So that's not an issue at the moment right now.

I went through the forum that is marred with plagiarized contents, copying from different sites and not just VGR alone. But it seems ours is different, it is obviously made public, copying word to word of some VGR posts. But since our amiable admin said, we shouldn't take it up legally, that, it isn't real humans doing it. It's a shame to the site admin who employed robots to do the dirty job for him/her, copying another community's posts and filling it up on his/her own. 

4 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Either way, I still think the site admin should be emailed, alerting them of this issue. There's nothing that can be done legally, (yet) but nevertheless, it still irks the shit out of me.

The site admin is likely aware of the issue. He/she is the likely the one who created the bot that plagiarizes the content. I'm not pursuing but I do appreciate everyone's concern and input.

On 4/1/2022 at 1:01 PM, Crazycrab said:

I they are copying VGR's official published articles then yes, they are definitely liable.  Forum posts I'm not sure.

That's actually even worse, as instead of defrauding one entity, they are stealing from all the users. You have IP rights for your own posts.

1 hour ago, DC said:

The site admin is likely aware of the issue. He/she is the likely the one who created the bot that plagiarizes the content. I'm not pursuing but I do appreciate everyone's concern and input.

Just send a cease and desist letter, and watch them cut and run.

19 hours ago, m76 said:

Just send a cease and desist letter, and watch them cut and run.

Yeah - I was just about to recommend that. @DC can easily sue them because he has overwhelming evidence. I'd recommend that @DC get lots of screenshots and videos of the website and then send the cease and desist order. If they don't shut down, he can take it a step further.

As admin have said, he isn't going to take a legal action against them, he sees no serious harm thou, the site is already condemned, their is no real challenge coming out from them. The site is dead, the traffic coming through can't be compared to VGR even when they're plagiarizing, trying to hit the stride. 

2 hours ago, Head_Hunter said:

As admin have said, he isn't going to take a legal action against them, he sees no serious harm thou, the site is already condemned, their is no real challenge coming out from them. The site is dead, the traffic coming through can't be compared to VGR even when they're plagiarizing, trying to hit the stride. 

I agree, at the end of the day is it really worth bothering, sueing that website is likely going to take time/effort and money seems like a waste of both. 

1 minute ago, Yaramaki said:

I agree, at the end of the day is it really worth bothering, sueing that website is likely going to take time/effort and money seems like a waste of both. 

Correct, meaning case settled. The admin can go on to make mockery of him/herself by copying more VGR posts in the future. It will only cause harm to his/her website and not with VGR. 

The thread to post ratio on that site is disgusting. It's clear that they're just copying content and it's not beneficial to that forum at all because clearly no one seems to be discussing the threads they post. Place pretty much looks dead as well. 

It all seems to be some kind of "publicity stunt" to attempt to drive users to the forum. And a pretty pathetic one at that. On the other hand, it could be taken as a compliment that out of all the gaming forums on the internet, they chose VGR's forum to copy. Whatever their intention, going to court over it would be nothing more than a waste of time and resources. @DC has a hell of a lot more important things to worry about than some jackass copying posts from his forum to try to make theirs look popular.

3 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

A cease and desist letter, is not suing, It is not even legal action, it's just a warning to let them know we know, and do not appreciate it.

They never tried to hide it, so a cease and desist letter would do nothing. They obviously didn't care if we found out or not. I saw something like this years ago, but it went all the way. This person copied every aspect of the site. I knew the webmaster, and she had enlisted my help to get her site up and running. Even the testimonials that named the webmaster by name, were altered to seem like it was about the kid that plagiarized the site. That ended up in an actual lawsuit because there were things one there that were copyrighted not to mention that the entire sight was under copyright. I wasn't told how everything turned out except that the woman I was working with won.