Register Now
GeppyX

Can someone explain the PS5 shortage?

10 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

Sony mentioned several times that their will be console shortage until 2023, i think if you put a little effort in it, i'm sure you can manage to put down a preorder somewhere, i think most people who wanted a ps5 badly have one by now so it's just a matter of being lucky now or having patience.

look it on the bright side by the time you may get a ps5 a lot of games may already be on sale, so you win in the end by saving money 😉

Also nice avatar geppy-x kind off a forgotten ps1 shoot em up that is still a blast to play, if only the music wasen't so ridiculous.

I'm also looking for one but I'd already come to the realization that next year is when I probably can get my hands on one so I got myself a Nintendo Switch in the meantime. I also have my PC so I'm not worried.

I just always thought there was a shortage because this console came out during the Covid-19 pandemic and everyone was forced to stay at home.  And because people were forced to stay at home, they were looking for things to do while being confined to their homes. 

On 7/7/2022 at 6:04 PM, JennyorAlice said:

I just always thought there was a shortage because this console came out during the Covid-19 pandemic and everyone was forced to stay at home.  And because people were forced to stay at home, they were looking for things to do while being confined to their homes. 

But covid 19 effect is reduced na, Sony should be up and doing, work so hard to get PS5 filled up. I don't like this issue of console scarcity between PS5 and Xbox series X, denying those who wants any of the consoles from owning one. 

Yeah I'd probably say bad timing as well, but the scalpers are probably the big issue. They've been making it a pain to buy anything new these days. Even figures and collectibles are getting bought up by scalpers with the intent to sell them for double or triple the original cost. 

What I don't get is why it hasn't been solved. Like, why don't these shopping sites and stores implement a system to catch those who do buy up too many of one device? I know some stores have tried, but scalpers seem to get through it. It's just crazy. 

Where I am things are getting better. Their still sold out at Amazon and GAME but other retailers like CEX and Argos have them in stock fairly consistently now.  Even resellers are down to retail, the days of them PS5 being scalped for 2 - 3 times seem to be in the past.

Also, I think it's partly to due to the fact that some parts were hard to come by. Everyone remembers there was a shortage of motherboards and other such things, so that could be another big reason for the PS5 shortage. 

But, I feel like that has calmed down a bit, so I'm unsure was to why Sony can't figure this out and make sure consoles go to consumers who actually want them, and not to the endless scalpers out there still trying to draw money out of this. 

On 4/3/2022 at 1:38 PM, GeppyX said:

I understand that there has been a shortage for a long time. It's some kind of semi conductor shortage, due to the pandemic. I don't really understand it though. The pandemic started a while ago, I thought most of us have moved on for the most part. 

Also, how will Sony make money if they don't have enough PS5's if PS6 comes out before they can produce enough? It's been about a year and a half. So if another year and half goes by and we're in the same situation, we have to start thinking about PS6. 

So can someone explain to me the chip shortage in simple terms? I really don't understand it. I understand that Covid affected many things. But the worst of the pandemic is over. There may always be a virus, like the flu, but the worst of it is over and I don't see how you can use Covid as an excuse anymore. We play video games inside. 

Now I might not be aware of how this all works. Maybe it's not the virus itself, but the aftermath of it. I don't get it though. Nobody has explained to me what this all means. There's no more deadly pandemic.

Sure... In simple terms it is nothing but fear. The "pandemic" caused fear, which caused people to take counter-measures as a result. The counter measures destroyed smaller businesses, tinkered around with the supply chain, but as opposed to ending a goliath of a business like Sony it simply stalled them that's all. But it all goes back to the creation of fear from the "pandemic". Job cuts, layoffs, the list goes on at a technical level.

You mentioned in another thread how political matter have slowed down their production of PS5 and the workflow of their business. I understand that COVID-19 effect caused stir and slow down too, but the world is getting over with the global pandemic, they shouldn't lay hands there all the time as major cause of their business slow down. 

On 4/4/2022 at 4:38 AM, GeppyX said:

I understand that there has been a shortage for a long time. It's some kind of semi conductor shortage, due to the pandemic. I don't really understand it though. The pandemic started a while ago, I thought most of us have moved on for the most part. 

Also, how will Sony make money if they don't have enough PS5's if PS6 comes out before they can produce enough? It's been about a year and a half. So if another year and half goes by and we're in the same situation, we have to start thinking about PS6. 

So can someone explain to me the chip shortage in simple terms? I really don't understand it. I understand that Covid affected many things. But the worst of the pandemic is over. There may always be a virus, like the flu, but the worst of it is over and I don't see how you can use Covid as an excuse anymore. We play video games inside. 

Now I might not be aware of how this all works. Maybe it's not the virus itself, but the aftermath of it. I don't get it though. Nobody has explained to me what this all means. There's no more deadly pandemic.

I'm saying from someone who lives in Asia... It's def because the Zero covid policy in China.

On 5/27/2022 at 8:42 PM, GeppyX said:

I have now come to the conclusion that PS5 will never be readily available, definitely not in this gen. It's been over a year and a half. If they are not able to have them available now, then there's no reason to think that they will in another couple years. Nothing is going to change. So the only solution, outside of some luck, would be to get it from a scalper. But then again, there's a lack of games. 

If it isn't available now, then this is how it's going to be.

There have been predictions that it is going to be readily available in 2024. I don't know much about the chips shortage, but I still insist that they know what they are doing with the shortage of Playstation 5. It is all planned to keep the price high. 

On 9/19/2022 at 11:22 AM, Ajibusu said:

There have been predictions that it is going to be readily available in 2024. I don't know much about the chips shortage, but I still insist that they know what they are doing with the shortage of Playstation 5. It is all planned to keep the price high. 

At some point Sony would still need to have it in mass production but for now their strategy to make it scarce is working since a lot people are getting more and more interested in it.

On 8/21/2022 at 12:18 AM, ForwardSlashDownPoke said:

Sure... In simple terms it is nothing but fear. The "pandemic" caused fear, which caused people to take counter-measures as a result. The counter measures destroyed smaller businesses, tinkered around with the supply chain, but as opposed to ending a goliath of a business like Sony it simply stalled them that's all. But it all goes back to the creation of fear from the "pandemic". Job cuts, layoffs, the list goes on at a technical level.

Fear had a lot to do with the shortage because companies were expecting less consumerism due to the pandemic, then the supply couldn't reach the demand. But, this goes way beyond the pandemic now due to the resources in Ukraine and Russia who are major players in the chip making process now at war. That leaves a cold chip war with the U.S. and China. The U.S. in August 2022 just passed the Chips And Science Act to invest in the manufacturing of semi conductors on American soil. 

On 11/9/2022 at 5:25 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

Fear had a lot to do with the shortage because companies were expecting less consumerism due to the pandemic, then the supply couldn't reach the demand. But, this goes way beyond the pandemic now due to the resources in Ukraine and Russia who are major players in the chip making process now at war. That leaves a cold chip war with the U.S. and China. The U.S. in August 2022 just passed the Chips And Science Act to invest in the manufacturing of semi conductors on American soil. 

I think that's a worthy explanation and I really don't know why they had to rely solely on Russia to manufacture chips for Consoles that are going to assembled in the USA.

Maybe this could solve the issue of shortage but for now those who already got the console are complaining about get fewer exclusives than they expected.

5 hours ago, Justin11 said:

I think that's a worthy explanation and I really don't know why they had to rely solely on Russia to manufacture chips for Consoles that are going to assembled in the USA.

Maybe this could solve the issue of shortage but for now those who already got the console are complaining about get fewer exclusives than they expected.

Seems like most of the world was depending on those two countries to provide the resources necessary for the chip making process. South Africa has the biggest mining production of Palladium with Russia being second and there is really no other competition. Neon is a gas that is extracted from the air and Ukraine had the biggest filtration plants in the world to extract that Neon. China is the biggest consumer of chips and Taiwan is one of the biggest manufacturers of chips. I think there is bound to be conflict between those countries. Why not just take it right? If you think about it, it's not a good idea to have two neighboring countries be the top manufacturers and consumers, or to have two neighboring countries being the top suppliers/miners of any worldwide high demand product.