Register Now
kingpotato

Best Nintendo 3DS games

The 3ds was avery underated small console, looks like everybody already forgot about it after the Switch came up. I own both a 3ds and Switch but for some reason I always end up playing my 3ds more often.

Which are your favorite 3ds games ? Mine are:

- Shovel Knight
- Mario Kart 7
- Pokemon Y (I hated the original version but just recently I dowloaded a "hacked" or updated version that increases the difficulty)
- GunVolt series
- Super Mario 3d land
- The Legend of Zelda and Majora's mask remakes

None I've played from the list of Nintendo games mentioned here, starting from, Mario Kart to Zelda. I watched trailer of Zelda series' often, but yet to play it, since I'm not a Nintendo switch user. And my friends aren't one either. 

The best 3DS game, in my opinion is : Professor Layton and the azran legacy!Graphically, it's one of, if not The best looking game on 3DS. The graphics are great, the story is maginficent, the puzzles are fun! Way better than the professor Layton 3DS game that came out in 2018.

Because of it's great puzzles, great story, and beautiful graphics, this is what i believe to be the best game on 3DS.

Alright let's go

the 3ds i must say i had a hard time knocking it down to 10 games, especially since the line up of the 3ds is so divers. If you weed out all the shovelware garbage, you may have one of the best libraries of any handheld. Figured i'd include a picture because why the hell not.

xZdbO4q.jpg

I'll just put em in random order, i'd must say it's been quite a while since i've played my 3ds so excuse me if i can't go into detail :

Ridge Racer 3D -> This was a launch game and the one i picked up alongside pilotwings when i got my first 3ds a few weeks after launch. The reason i'm including it is because at the time it made the best use of the 3d effect and that was quite impressing. Not only that but it's imo the best racing game on the 3ds and will keep occupied for many hours. I'd even say it's best racing game on any portable system. 

Dead Or Alive Dimensions -> While this up for debate, This is the best fighter on the 3ds. Infact i'd call it my favourite dead or alive game, A good amount of fighters and a whole story that takes atleast 15 hours to play trough. I'm not 100% sure but the story covers the first 4 games if i'm correct. All in all what i like most about doa is that it's easy to pick up and play, i don't have the time to put hundreds of hours into a fighter to become good anymore. Anyways there is plenty to unlock that will keep your busy for quite a while.

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney -> I don't think this got ported elsewhere yet, yeah what do you get when you combine the puzzles from the professor layton series with the more visual novel style gameplay from phoenix wright, yep this game. It seemlessly combines the gameplay from both series and blends the best of both worlds into one game. If you're either a fan of the series try it out. 

Super Mario 3D Land -> probably had the best 3d effect of any game on the 3ds. It's 3d mario in 3D, not much more i can add. Hell lot of fun tough.

New Super Mario Bros 2 -> Again this may also up for debate but if somebody would ask me what is your favourite 2d platformer i'm going to say Sonic. If somebody would ask me what is the best 2d platformer i'm going to say New super mario bros 2. Albeit a bit on the easy side, grinding towards a million coins has never been so much fun and satisfying. 

Zelda : A link between worlds -> spiritual successor to a link to the the past, kinda looks similair to it aswell. Man what more do you want me to say without spoiling anything go f***ing play it, it's a classic. Doubt this will get ported to any system soon so what are you waiting for, go online and buy it before it prices goes trough the roof.

Story of Seasons Trio of Towns -> Well if you like farming games and life simulation games this is the one to get imo. I had to include atleast one of these games in my top 10 so let it be this one. Not much else to add other then that the 3ds is the perfect platform for these kinda games. Be sure to have a lot of free time tough.

Epic Mickey Power of Ilusion -> Castle of Illusion is one of my favourite sega games of all time, this is a tribute to it but dare i say it's even better. Old school 2D platforming goodness at it's finest. The mean  reason i'm including it, it makes the best use of the stylus in any game i have played on the 3ds. While you're at it go check out the first epic mickey on the wii because that's a classis too.

Hometown Story -> This is a spin off of the harvest moon games, instead of a farm you run a shop. Instead of taking care of animals and whatnot, you go on a adventure, well to put it shortly because since you must be bored by now. It's a hyrbid between a life sim/management sim/rpg, what kept me really going that the town grows bigger once you progress trough the game. You can also get married and whatnot. The side characters are interesting in their own right. Too bad whenever i bring this game up, nobody played it or has even heard of it, well you get a second chance.

Fantasy Life -> Hands down the best game on the 3ds, by far the game i put most hours on the system. I'm going to keep it short and hopefully you'll take my word for granted. If you have any slight interest in a jrpg or life sim, you need to play this game. Be prepared to kiss your social life goodbye and if you have a partner better tell them to you won't be having time for anything else in the next few months orso.

And there you have it my top 10 3ds games. Apologies for the no doubt many grammar mistakes. 

I've always wanted to say this atleast once in my life but be sure to like and subscribe and why not comment down below. Peace!

Edited by Yaramaki

@Empire I always though Professor Layton games were just like simple puzzles for kids so I never actually payed any attention to them, but I will dowload the rom and try it out later this week

@Yaramaki
Alot of my friends have recommended me to play Fantasy Life but Im afraid to do so for the same reason you described, it will probably take a lot of my time xD Maybe I will try Im not sure. I did played the first Phoenix Wright game back in the DS era but Im not exactly a huge fan but its a good game, I will maybe try it as well since Im dowloading Professor Layton along with it.

21 hours ago, kingpotato said:

@Yaramaki
Alot of my friends have recommended me to play Fantasy Life but Im afraid to do so for the same reason you described, it will probably take a lot of my time xD Maybe I will try Im not sure. I did played the first Phoenix Wright game back in the DS era but Im not exactly a huge fan but its a good game, I will maybe try it as well since Im dowloading Professor Layton along with it.

Man here i was trying to ruin somebody's social life by trying to get them into fantasy life. 😄 

Now that i noticed diden't include a single jrpg into my top 10 list, maybe i should have included a bravely default or a fire emblem game in there instead of epic mickey and ridge racer 3d but ohwell. The good thing about this thread is that i played my 3ds the entire afternoon before compiling this list.

Some puzzles in professor layton will test your patience, definitely not a kids game my man. Woulden't be suprised if quite a few ds/3ds system died from frustration in the process.

58 minutes ago, Yaramaki said:

Man here i was trying to ruin somebody's social life by trying to get them into fantasy life. 😄 

Now that i noticed diden't include a single jrpg into my top 10 list, maybe i should have included a bravely default or a fire emblem game in there instead of epic mickey and ridge racer 3d but ohwell. The good thing about this thread is that i played my 3ds the entire afternoon before compiling this list.

Some puzzles in professor layton will test your patience, definitely not a kids game my man. Woulden't be suprised if quite a few ds/3ds system died from frustration in the process.

Im no stranger to jrpgs but honestly I got bored with Bravely default, I like the gameplay but I hated the first two hours of the game because I felt it was such a drag. Maybe thats my fault I should have given it more time. Oh I forgot to include Fire Emblem Awakening on the list, I havent played that in a looong time, my favorite fire emblem game (because it has easy mode 😆)

On 4/10/2022 at 3:27 AM, Yaramaki said:

Zelda : A link between worlds -> spiritual successor to a link to the the past, kinda looks similar to it as well. Man what more do you want me to say without spoiling anything go f***ing play it, it's a classic. Doubt this will get ported to any system soon so what are you waiting for, go online and buy it before it prices goes trough the roof.

This sounds suspiciously like Zelda: A Link To The Past on SNES. Can you give me some examples how it's different, and a solid reason to get off my ass, dig out a 3DS, and play it? Assuming I have it. I'm a huge fan of the Zelda franchise, but I'm not some fan chick who has to say that they're all great. There have been a few that I hated, but for the most part I have loved them all. Especially the original. Best in the entire franchise if you ask me.

1 minute ago, The Blackangel said:

This sounds suspiciously like Zelda: A Link To The Past on SNES. Can you give me some examples how it's different, and a solid reason to get off my ass, dig out a 3DS, and play it? Assuming I have it. I'm a huge fan of the Zelda franchise, but I'm not some fan chick who has to say that they're all great. There have been a few that I hated, but for the most part I have loved them all. Especially the original. Best in the entire franchise if you ask me.

I have never played A Link to the past but I do own a Link Between worlds, I dont remember how it begins but basically a witch is trying to revive Ganondorf, and the witch is transforming everyone into painting including princess Zelda, then Link fights the Witch and losses becoming a paint himself and then a strange merchant with a a purple bunny mask/hood says he can help you and he will loan or sell you the quest items (bow, hook, etc) if you die then you will loose all the items that he loaned you, if you buy them you will keep the items, then you obtain the ability to transform yourself into a painting and stick to walls and that way you can travel to another dimension, like a mirror side of Hyrule were the forces of evil won. I dont want to spoil the ending because I dont know how much of it is similar to the SNES version but it was a huge plot twist at the very end.

In Link To The Past, you travel back and forth between the Light World, and the Dark World. Ganon is trying to build up his power to take over the Light World. he has found the Triforce of power, and turned the Golden Land (where the Triforce was held) into the Dark World. He hasn't managed to take over the Light World, despite opening a portal between the two, at Hyrule castle.

It's a great game, and I highly recommend playing it. I started writing a walkthrough (thought it was a review) and posted it here. It's probably lost to time, so I don't know where to find it, as it was sometime last year.

2 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

In Link To The Past, you travel back and forth between the Light World, and the Dark World. Ganon is trying to build up his power to take over the Light World. he has found the Triforce of power, and turned the Golden Land (where the Triforce was held) into the Dark World. He hasn't managed to take over the Light World, despite opening a portal between the two, at Hyrule castle.

It's a great game, and I highly recommend playing it. I started writing a walkthrough (thought it was a review) and posted it here. It's probably lost to time, so I don't know where to find it, as it was sometime last year.

Oh okay so yeah very similar, I will have to try it out one of these days, I should have a copy of the ROM for the snes emulator somewhere.