Register Now
egghead

Fitness tracker vs. smart watch

I don't use neither of them, but I'll go for the smart watch, it will help you cover up with the fitness tracker can do. It does multipurpose tasks for you, it helps you make and receive calls, access notifications from your smart phone and many other useful things.  

Old school mechanical watch, There’s a permanence about mechanical watches that the other devices don’t have. It’s something that I would be able to wear now and continue wearing for many decades. It also allows me to unplug. I often can’t stop myself from checking notifications. Having a device on my wrist that allows me to do so would probably make it even harder to unplug and be in the moment

I have a Galaxy Fit2 because it was on special offer and I just couldn't not purchase it. I've been using it quite a bit recently just to track my steps and to allow remind me when I have been sitting down for too long. I do like the idea of smart watches but I don't like the shape of the Apple Watch. Plus, I think I like traditional watches a little too much to move to a smart watch.

I would certainly settle for an iPhone smart watch. I currently have the smart watch series 4, but I'm planning on getting the series 7 soon. They offer a best of both world been a good fitness tracker and a very stylish wrist watch. 

It depends on what you’re looking for. Are you only interested in the fitness tracking or are you interested in other features? If you’re only interested in the fitness tracking, you can save money and get a Fitbit, but if you’re interested in the communications features along with fitness tracking, then go for a smart watch.

My Apple Watch sits on the charger when I’m at home, but I do love getting text and FB messages when I’m outside of the house. I don’t have to pull out my phone to see if it’s important or not.

On 6/11/2022 at 9:20 PM, Grungie said:

It depends on what you’re looking for. Are you only interested in the fitness tracking or are you interested in other features? If you’re only interested in the fitness tracking, you can save money and get a Fitbit, but if you’re interested in the communications features along with fitness tracking, then go for a smart watch.

My Apple Watch sits on the charger when I’m at home, but I do love getting text and FB messages when I’m outside of the house. I don’t have to pull out my phone to see if it’s important or not.

Same with my Galaxy Watch - when I get notifications or even when someone's calling, I don't have to pull out my phone to see who it is or who's messaging me. 

I would guess the Smartwatch, I've read it's more reliable.

But you know what I enjoy using instead? A good old-fashioned pedometer. I know it only counts steps, but that's all I really care about.

1000 steps equals roughly 35 calories burned. That's all I need to know.

I'm sure they have more modern pedometers that track a lot more than steps and calories, but I only care about the steps.

On 8/29/2022 at 12:35 AM, melanie_marie27 said:

I would guess the Smartwatch, I've read it's more reliable.

But you know what I enjoy using instead? A good old-fashioned pedometer. I know it only counts steps, but that's all I really care about.

1000 steps equals roughly 35 calories burned. That's all I need to know.

I'm sure they have more modern pedometers that track a lot more than steps and calories, but I only care about the steps.

I get what you mean - sometimes you just want a specialized device that performs it's function effectively without being overtly complicated.

On 8/31/2022 at 3:55 PM, killamch89 said:

I get what you mean - sometimes you just want a specialized device that performs it's function effectively without being overtly complicated.

I've actually returned pedometers that had wayyy too many functions. Say, for example, it would request height, weight, stride, etc. The whole thing needed to be "set up" before it would even begin counting steps. I'd have my brother try to do it but then he said I'd have to put in the time, distance, and stride every time I used it and I was like no way.

My fave is the one from Sportline. Basic step counter. 😉

On 9/5/2022 at 8:03 PM, melanie_marie27 said:

I've actually returned pedometers that had wayyy too many functions. Say, for example, it would request height, weight, stride, etc. The whole thing needed to be "set up" before it would even begin counting steps. I'd have my brother try to do it but then he said I'd have to put in the time, distance, and stride every time I used it and I was like no way.

My fave is the one from Sportline. Basic step counter. 😉

The caveats of modern tech - they're multifunctional and at times, overtly complicated though surprisingly I seemingly have adjusted pretty well to modern tech.

I personally prefer smart watches.

They can do more than just tracking steps and heart rate and stuff. They can also do things like giving you notifications from your phone so you do not have to take your phone out of your pocket if it is just a quick reply. It is also easier to play and pause music with the watch rather than digging your phone out just to skip a track.

I was using a FitBit but I am now solely relying on using my iPhone which has a built in Health App. It monitors steps you count to flights of stairs you climb, and you can even link an Apple Watch but I haven't yet got one of these. The app is enough for what I need it for.