Register Now
NightmareFarm

What are your thoughts on trophies/achievements?

I used to trophy hunt hard and pride myself on trophies(esp platinum trophies) but eventually it came to a point where I would just stop caring about fun and when considering playing a new game one of the big questions on my mind would be "Is this game on PlayStation 4? If i'm going to play it I want to boost my trophy score and/or be able to platinum it someday".  Sounds very shallow right? I also set myself strict goals to platinum certain games. Even if I wasn't having fun and would rather play another game, I forced myself to get these plats. Eventually I took a break from gaming and came back and decided not to bother with trophies whilst I was getting back into the groove of things, then I realized how much more liberating it feels not focusing on trophies and just having a good time instead. Nowadays I realized how stupid it was making what should essentially be a hobby or a passion into something akin to that of a job. I wont lie, I still feel a shot of dopamine every time I see that shiny "Trophy unlocked" notification in the corner of the screen and appreciate it but it's more of a background thing that compliments the game to me now rather than sacred relics that I have to keep hunting to stroke my E-dick and validate my "gamerhood". I cringe looking back on it.

Anyway, i'll stop here. What are your thoughts about trophies. Love them or hate them? Or do you not feel any strong opinion towards them?

Edited by NightmareFarm

I've never really cared about trophies or achievements, like you mentioned the point is to have fun.

I've only one Platinum on PlayStation and that was for Horizon Zero Dawn.  You get that by basically just playing the game.  It doesn't to anything completely ridiculous that would take hundreds of hours of tedium to do.  If it did, like IMO to many game seem to expect you to do, I wouldn't bother.

Edited by Crazycrab

3 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

I've never really cared about trophies or achievements, like you mentioned the point is to have fun.

I've only one Platinum on PlayStation and that was for Horizon Zero Dawn.  You get that by basically just playing the game.  It doesn't to anything completely ridiculous that would take hundreds of hours of tedium to do.  If it did, like IMO to many game seem to expect you to do, I wouldn't bother.

That plat felt pretty tedious to me. Then again back then I treated it like it was a job, I didn't have much of a desire to go back and play more HZD after beating the game.

6 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

You did (if I remeber it correctly) have to knock down all the training dummies to get the platinum. That was a bit cryptic.

25 minutes ago, Shagger said:

You did (if I remeber it correctly) have to knock down all the training dummies to get the platinum. That was a bit cryptic.

Yeah, that was really the only cryptic thing though.

29 minutes ago, NightmareFarm said:

That plat felt pretty tedious to me. Then again back then I treated it like it was a job, I didn't have much of a desire to go back and play more HZD after beating the game.

When I played I did the side missions and so on as I went.   By the time I finished the game had very little left to to do.  From what I understand Horizon Zero Dawn is one the easier Platinums out there.

On Xbox, since it's my secondary console, I don't care about achievements at all. That's especially true because of MS Rewards. They usually require you to earn achievements to get points so I'll randomly play some easy games to get 1-2 easy trophies through the Game Pass. On PlayStation, I care about them a lot more. I try to get all the trophies for the games that I play regularly.

At first i tought they were cool since you really had to put some time and effort in to get that 1000 gamer score or platinum trophy. These days you can play hundreds of (mostly bad) games that can be completed in a few hours and get a platinum or all the gamerscore it takes away that special feeling for me.

I think they should start changing up the system the way it is now and give longer games more gamer score ( or multiple platinum thropies ) then shorter games, like forza 4 toke about 300 hours to complete and something like firewatch you can beat in an afternoon and get the same gamerscore it doesen't make sense.

I was chasing down trophies and achievements when was playing FIFA, I wanted to use those achievements, points to influence the purchase of items in the game. 

But it wasn't taking too long, that's why I couldn't proceed with the option anymore. 

Edited by Justin11

Trophies are good together with your achievements but their points you'll get to, it belongs an uphill battle to collect more of the achievements because the task see just too weird or hard to accomplish. So then, if you're just passionate only on achievements you'll get derailed for the spirit of the game and being an achievement chaser alone. 

Edited by Justin11