Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

Elon Musk offers $43 billion to buy off Twitter- Is this monopoly?

I have no love for Musk, I think he is a con-man and a swindler. Not a genius as he is touted.

But if his buying twitter turns it into a neutral platform for free speech. That might be the only good thing he ever done.

Twitter was majority owed by rich saudi investors. You can't find bigger bigots than that. Anything is an improvement over that.

A lot of media is owned by billionaires, so It's hilarious how those exact media outlets owned by other billionaires suddenly think that media shouldn't be owned by billionaires. The irony.

What I find most revealing that in the days after the announcement of the acquisition twitter suddenly removed all under the table manipulations inserted in the algorithm, and suddenly I actually get recommended posts that are of interest to me based on what I posted about previously.

For example I posted a lot about TLOU in 2020, but never got any recommendations on that topic in the past 2 years. Musk buys twitter, suddenly my feed is filed with them. Curious, eh? Who know how much corruption was in place at twitter? I also get much more posts from people who I actually follow and who they follow in turn. You know, things that are potentially of interest to me.

Edited by m76

46 minutes ago, m76 said:

I have no love for Musk, I think he is a con-man and a swindler. Not a genius as he is touted.

But if his buying twitter turns it into a neutral platform for free speech. That might be the only good thing he ever done.

Twitter was majority owed by rich saudi investors. You can't find bigger bigots than that. Anything is an improvement over that.

A lot of media is owned by billionaires, so It's hilarious how those exact media outlets owned by other billionaires suddenly think that media shouldn't be owned by billionaires. The irony.

What I find most revealing that in the days after the announcement of the acquisition twitter suddenly removed all under the table manipulations inserted in the algorithm, and suddenly I actually get recommended posts that are of interest to me based on what I posted about previously.

For example I posted a lot about TLOU in 2020, but never got any recommendations on that topic in the past 2 years. Musk buys twitter, suddenly my feed is filed with them. Curious, eh? Who know how much corruption was in place at twitter? I also get much more posts from people who I actually follow and who they follow in turn. You know, things that are potentially of interest to me.

Only time will tell to see how he juggles free speech and threats/inciting violence/life threatening conspiracies all around the world. And you are right that a lot of media is owned by billionaires and thanks to Musk's takeover, he has shined a light on this problem. It's not every day we see some rich asshole take over a major platform. So we all should be concerned by this kind of thing. Social media shouldn't be up for grabs by the highest bidder. Not social media or news networks. There needs to be some kind of laws in place to keep media publicly owned and protected somehow from so called hostile takeovers. Is anything wrong about being concerned by this? I'm glad you are getting recommended posts now. But whatever is going on with the algorithms, I have no idea about. And I frankly could care less about it. All I got to say is all forms of media needs protections. And it's even more concerning exactly why the richest man feels the need to own Twitter. Especially when he has chosen to side with other hostile people who want nothing more than to spread disinformation and incite violence. That's alarming to have someone of questionable morality to take over Twitter. He's already being investigated for breaking the law in his Twitter share as previously explained, also investigated for torturing monkeys as explained, and also investigated for widespread racial discrimination at Tesla while he's CEO, and the FTC is reviewing his acquisition of Twitter to see if any further investigations is needed; what else is he investigated for? Those things matter to me, especially when someone wants to represent free speech and a major platform. He's already said he is bringing Trump back on Twitter. What other whack jobs are coming back? So we can expect threats and calls for violence to be perfectly legal on Twitter now. 

27 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Only time will tell to see how he juggles free speech and threats/inciting violence/life threatening conspiracies all around the world.

I'm actually optimistic on that. I think actually harmful things will still be removed, but not the discussion about things. Because if you don't even allow something to be discussed that just drives it underground or to other platforms, making it even more harmful. I say as long as someone is not directly inciting harm allow it so you can keep an eye on them and actually point out when they talk nonsense.

And you are right that a lot of media is owned by billionaires and thanks to Musk's takeover, he has shined a light on this problem. It's not every day we see some rich asshole take over a major platform.

Because usually the media ignores it so it happens quietly and under the radar. They are making a big deal out of this particular one because Musk is not an ally to the MSM.

So we all should be concerned by this kind of thing. Social media shouldn't be up for grabs by the highest bidder. Not social media or news networks.

Oh, I've been very concerned about this for years.  But I don't see a way to unbiased reporting and platforms. Someone has to own it in capitalism, and the platform will reflect the biases of the owner always. I don't think there is a truly independent social media platform. The internet itself was independent, but social media ruined it.

There needs to be some kind of laws in place to keep media publicly owned and protected somehow from so called hostile takeovers. Is anything wrong about being concerned by this?

No, but it is a tiny bit hypocritical that not a single media outlet ever expressed concern over media ownership until suddenly  someone tries to buy a platform who is not sharing their politics.

I'm glad you are getting recommended posts now. But whatever is going on with the algorithms, I have no idea about. And I frankly could care less about it.

You have to look at the big picture. It's not about me getting what I want, it's just an example, me as a tiny twitter user with no followers and barely a handful of follows has been affected by this greatly. Then imagine the influence it has on the whole conversation? I think whoever put in place these suppressions and biases in the recommendations are rogue actors, who are cleaning  house before the new management comes in who is actually interested in making them accountable.

All I got to say is all forms of media needs protections. And it's even more concerning exactly why the richest man feels the need to own Twitter. Especially when he has chosen to side with other hostile people who want nothing more than to spread disinformation and incite violence.

Plenty of incitement of violence was allowed on twitter thus far already. Frankly it is disgusting what gets to remain on twitter with no moderation. Lunatics calling for the deaths of people over minor political differences. Twitter is far from being a safe and clean platform.

That's alarming to have someone of questionable morality to take over Twitter. He's already being investigated for breaking the law in his Twitter share as previously explained, also investigated for torturing monkeys as explained, and also investigated for widespread racial discrimination at Tesla while he's CEO, and the FTC is reviewing his acquisition of Twitter to see if any further investigations is needed; what else is he investigated for? Those things matter to me, especially when someone wants to represent free speech and a major platform. He's already said he is bringing Trump back on Twitter. What other whack jobs are coming back? So we can expect threats and calls for violence to be perfectly legal on Twitter now. 

Like it or not, free speech applies to everyone. No matter how much you or I dislike them. I may not trust Musk as far as I can throw him, when it comes to his outlandish promises and "inventions", but I think he is genuine about wanting to improve twitter, it would be hard to make it any worse that's for sure.

Even those convicted of actual manslaughter get out of prison eventually, so why should a life sentence be valid on twitter? You say one bad thing, and you are forever banned from expressing anything? That's not right. I was always in support of judging ideas, not people who have those ideas. There is not a single person on this planet who I agree with on everything, if I cut ties with everyone who I ever had any disagreement with I'd not have anyone left to talk to.

Absolutely people should be banned from twitter for saying heinous things, but not forever, 1 day first, then 1 week if they do it again, then 1 month, and then 6 months, and if they still reoffend then 1 year. That should be the maximum punishment on twitter. Unless someone is doing sg. actually illegal, or exposed as a fraudster, then the permanent ban for their account is valid.

I'm also in favor of Musk's idea of verifying everyone on twitter. Not just "high profile" people, but every user, to prove they are actual humans and not bots.

14 minutes ago, m76 said:

Like it or not, free speech applies to everyone. No matter how much you or I dislike them. I may not trust Musk as far as I can throw him, when it comes to his outlandish promises and "inventions", but I think he is genuine about wanting to improve twitter, it would be hard to make it any worse that's for sure.

Even those convicted of actual manslaughter get out of prison eventually, so why should a life sentence be valid on twitter? You say one bad thing, and you are forever banned from expressing anything? That's not right. I was always in support of judging ideas, not people who have those ideas. There is not a single person on this planet who I agree with on everything, if I cut ties with everyone who I ever had any disagreement with I'd not have anyone left to talk to.

Absolutely people should be banned from twitter for saying heinous things, but not forever, 1 day first, then 1 week if they do it again, then 1 month, and then 6 months, and if they still reoffend then 1 year. That should be the maximum punishment on twitter. Unless someone is doing sg. actually illegal, or exposed as a fraudster, then the permanent ban for their account is valid.

I'm also in favor of Musk's idea of verifying everyone on twitter. Not just "high profile" people, but every user, to prove they are actual humans and not bots.

That's good points and I can see where you are coming from. And they have tried temp bans on people and they come back and eventually do the same thing. People don't get another chance when they are being lied to about everything in a pandemic. People don't get another chance when they fight for their right to live in Ukraine while others spread disinformation, including people in our own congress here. And in the case of trump, people don't get another chance if the coup attempt was successful, hence his banning. And as mentioned earlier the banning of Muhammadu Buhari who could have created a lot of turmoil in that country. These are serious situations that need more than multiple temp bans. Free speech doesn't include the right to incite mayhem. And 1 week bans, or one month isn't enough. I say 6 month ban or 1 year automatically for inciting violence and repeating the offense is permanent ban. We need to take these kinds of things extremely serious. The only people bitching about Twitter free speech are those that want to abuse it. 

28 minutes ago, m76 said:

Plenty of incitement of violence was allowed on twitter thus far already. Frankly it is disgusting what gets to remain on twitter with no moderation. Lunatics calling for the deaths of people over minor political differences. Twitter is far from being a safe and clean platform.

True, inciting violence is rampant, but those that have higher responsibility in power and millions of followers shouldn't be treated like the average Joe who got drunk and said something fucked up.  

On 4/17/2022 at 1:13 AM, Reality vs Adventure said:

I find it interesting that a far right wing commentator and conspiracy theorist named Dinesh D'Souza was trying to get Elon Musk to buy up a major social media platform in order to 'dramatically change the political and cultural landscape,' he wrote on Twitter.

Dinesh D'Souza said this on Twitter Jan 28 2022: 

Tweets are fine @elonmusk but you can dramatically change the political and cultural landscape this way: 1. Buy and take over a major social media platform 2. Acquire or create a TV network like ABC, NBC or CBS 3. Create a world-class online university and offer degrees for free.

And Elon Musk replies on Twitter:

"Interesting ideas."

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/271177/20220128/will-elon-musk-buy-social-media-create-tv-station-establish-school.htm

Elon Musk seems to have taken the republican side of things. Maybe he's looking for a quick cash grab. Maybe his narcissism is setting in as he ages, maybe he's turned rogue; who knows why someone like that would want social media. But D'Souza's idea for Musk buying up a social media giant, TV network, and online university is a good enough reason for all of us to be concerned what is going on here. Twitter is at the forefront of corrupt rich entities wanting to take it over. And Twitter realizes that and that's why they are putting forth the poison pill strategy to prevent hostile takeover. 

Dinesh D'Souza also said this on Jan 3 2022 on Twitter:

"Elon Musk can afford to buy Facebook, YouTube and Twitter. Imagine if he did it and systematically censored Democrats and leftists. “We’re being silenced! Silenced!” The shrieks would be audible for miles. How speedily the other side would discover the imperative of free speech!"

FYI, Dinesh D'Souza also plead guilty for violating campaign finance laws and went to prison till Trump pardoned him. This same guy is advocating for Elon Musk to take over Twitter. It wouldn't sound like much if he was just blabbering on his shows, but the fact that Elon Musk is listening to him is scary.

I want to update this thread. I first posted this in April 2022. It is now Dec 2023. I was 100% correct about Dinesh D'Souza and Musk. Let me remind you, D'Souza went to prison and was pardoned by Trump. D'Souza then went and made the film 2000 Mules, to promote election lies. 

Dinesh D'Souza said this on Twitter Jan 28 2022: 

Tweets are fine @elonmusk but you can dramatically change the political and cultural landscape this way: 1. Buy and take over a major social media platform 2. Acquire or create a TV network like ABC, NBC or CBS 3. Create a world-class online university and offer degrees for free.

And Elon Musk replies on Twitter:

"Interesting ideas."

So far Musk has bought Twitter and made it become a neo nazi platform where Musk promotes Hitler ideology, sues anyone who researches hate on X, and uses government puppets to violate free speech rights of those who research hate on X. Musk is in sewer shit for his hate now. That is one idea from D'Souza, to buy major social media platform to change the political landscape and promote Hitler. What was the other?? Make a university?? Musk is now forming a university in Austin Texas. Why Texas? Because the corrupt republican government in Texas grants him whatever he wants.

So Musk is following D'Souza's ideas. Social media to promote nazis--check

University to promote nazis--check

Next step for Musk is to buy a major news platform. 

The nazis are here folks, and Musk is one of em.