Register Now
The Blackangel

Xbox and PC parallels

I'm not the most educated on how Xbox and PC work in relation to each other, but I'm curious about whether they can swap things back and forth, or "mix & match" so to say. They're both made and owned by Microsoft, and I know there's at least a few games that are available however you prefer to play. But I'm also curious about other kinds of parallels between the two.

I think that they can swap controllers if that's to be considered something they can mix up. I heard a fellow worker talking about it the other day but I can't verify it as I don't play on Xbox but only PC and PS4 for now. 

23 minutes ago, Heatman said:

I think that they can swap controllers if that's to be considered something they can mix up. I heard a fellow worker talking about it the other day but I can't verify it as I don't play on Xbox but only PC and PS4 for now. 

These days, you can use just about any controller on a PC. I even saw an article just today that confirms Sony now make Dualsense controller updates available for PC players without needing a PS5 console. Not that your wrong @Heatman, far from it. Xbox controllers have been the accept default for gamepads on PC for quite some time, so a lot of games, especially games that are a little older. Many games never had PlayStation button prompt graphics added to them at all, whilst using a PS4 or PS5 controller will work just fine, it's not without it's problems.

Back to original topic. The best thing that Xbox and (Windows) PC's share is indeed your Microsoft account, making a lot Xbox games you bought digitally available on your PC as well. And then there is Gamepass. It's been discussed a lot on the forum, so I won't go into the details, but It really the best thing about the Xbox brand right now.

The game-pass is a tremendous option for both PC and Xbox series, making users of those devices to enjoy online gaming together through the video game subscription channel 'Gamepass. I'm missing already from being a PC gamer, I will consider using a Microsoft PC in the near future dude. 

Xbox Play Anywhere is a good deal to play a digital game on either the Xbox or PC. Seems like a great deal if you own both already, but to me it seems like why even bother buying both in regards to future purchases. Wouldn't it make more sense to own one Microsoft product and a Sony console to have games from both worlds? Or even a Switch instead of two Microsoft products that can play the same games. I actually think Microsoft shot themselves in the foot with that idea and decrease sales because why would I go and buy a gaming computer, then buy an Xbox? Isn't that absurd for the common consumer? PC has more games than the Xbox, but you can't play all PC games on the console. You can however, play all Xbox games on PC. So why buy both? 

Xbox cloud gaming works. Haven’t tried parallels but cloud works well. I can't get any game pass games to download in Windows 11 ARM, it's apparently a known Microsoft bug according to the parallels forum. I did get Sea of Thieves to install and run via Steam, and it uses the Windows XBox GameBar, the gamebar is limited in functionality, but at least it lets me log in.

10 hours ago, Shagger said:

These days, you can use just about any controller on a PC. I even saw an article just today that confirms Sony now make Dualsense controller updates available for PC players without needing a PS5 console. Not that your wrong @Heatman, far from it. Xbox controllers have been the accept default for gamepads on PC for quite some time, so a lot of games, especially games that are a little older. Many games never had PlayStation button prompt graphics added to them at all, whilst using a PS4 or PS5 controller will work just fine, it's not without it's problems.

Back to original topic. The best thing that Xbox and (Windows) PC's share is indeed your Microsoft account, making a lot Xbox games you bought digitally available on your PC as well. And then there is Gamepass. It's been discussed a lot on the forum, so I won't go into the details, but It really the best thing about the Xbox brand right now.

That's very correct on the Gamepass because that's been a huge factor for some gamers in choosing whether to play on Playstation or Xbox/PC before Sony got serious with its PS Now services. My friend even choose Xbox ahead of PS as a result of their Gamepass service. 

It's probably been 2 years since I got on my Xbox, but I use my PC every day. Not necessarily for gaming, but I'm always on it. I'm also not the biggest PC gamer. Just a personal preference, despite it seeming that the majority of gamers here preferring PC over console. But this got to running through my head and I had to ask. Another thing I'm curious about, is the discs. Can I pop an Xbox disc into my PC and play it on there? I have an external Blu-ray RW, so I don't see any issues with the disc format between DVD, Blu-ray, CD, or any other format.

9 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

It's probably been 2 years since I got on my Xbox, but I use my PC every day. Not necessarily for gaming, but I'm always on it. I'm also not the biggest PC gamer. Just a personal preference, despite it seeming that the majority of gamers here preferring PC over console. But this got to running through my head and I had to ask. Another thing I'm curious about, is the discs. Can I pop an Xbox disc into my PC and play it on there? I have an external Blu-ray RW, so I don't see any issues with the disc format between DVD, Blu-ray, CD, or any other format.

I found something on Microsoft inquiry section about this or something similar, and it seems like it's not something that's going to be possible to be achieved. 

Screenshot_20220424-010948.thumb.png.927f33903df225a7c880f1a6ef680d84.png

On 4/21/2022 at 2:08 AM, Reality vs Adventure said:

Xbox Play Anywhere is a good deal to play a digital game on either the Xbox or PC. Seems like a great deal if you own both already, but to me it seems like why even bother buying both in regards to future purchases. Wouldn't it make more sense to own one Microsoft product and a Sony console to have games from both worlds? Or even a Switch instead of two Microsoft products that can play the same games. I actually think Microsoft shot themselves in the foot with that idea and decrease sales because why would I go and buy a gaming computer, then buy an Xbox? Isn't that absurd for the common consumer? PC has more games than the Xbox, but you can't play all PC games on the console. You can however, play all Xbox games on PC. So why buy both? 

I own a PC and I'm definitely not going to get an Xbox because the Xbox is basically a somewhat limited budget PC nowadays. I'm getting a Nintendo Switch in about a month and PS5 later this year if I can get my hands on it.

5 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I own a PC and I'm definitely not going to get an Xbox because the Xbox is basically a somewhat limited budget PC nowadays. I'm getting a Nintendo Switch in about a month and PS5 later this year if I can get my hands on it.

Nintendo Switch is definitely a gaming platform that makes so much sense. Ever since I have been playing on it, it's been so good. With The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt my favorite game on it as of now. 

8 hours ago, Heatman said:

Nintendo Switch is definitely a gaming platform that makes so much sense. Ever since I have been playing on it, it's been so good. With The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt my favorite game on it as of now. 

This has nothing to do with either PC or Xbox, which is what this thread is about. You need to start replying to the topic at hand instead of derailing with completely unrelated comments. If you don't start doing that soon, we may begin deleting posts of this nature. We don't want to have to do that, but you keep doing this. If you want to discuss the Nintendo Switch, there is a board to do so. But this thread is NOT that board.

8 hours ago, Heatman said:

@The Blackangel is right. Just because @killamch89 casually mentioned a Switch as part of the point he was making on not needing an Xbox when he already has a PC, it is not an invite to start talking about the Switch on this thread that clearly nothing to do with the Switch. It take only a moment to gauge what the thread is about overall and think about what it is you are about to post and decide if it's applicable, but no, you just latch onto to the comment then blindly burst out a reply without thinking it through. Then somebody else will reply to your irrelevant comment, then another and before you know it the thread is complexly derailed and is now only a place for you and your friends to spin around your irrelevant chatter on. You really have got to stop that. We're not saying you're doing this maliciously, but you are doing it and it's because you just reply without thinking.

With the help of the game-pass, Xbox and PC gamers can share same game, since they connect with their Microsoft account and play any game of their choice there. I never used the game-pass before, got the information as a result of reading about it. It is a plus for noth PC and Xbox gamers, which is like, cross play. 

On 5/25/2022 at 5:53 PM, Justin11 said:

With the help of the game-pass, Xbox and PC gamers can share same game, since they connect with their Microsoft account and play any game of their choice there. I never used the game-pass before, got the information as a result of reading about it. It is a plus for noth PC and Xbox gamers, which is like, cross play. 

As long as cloud gaming services like Gamepass don't overtake game ownership as the main way to play your games I don't have an issue with either. If I'm not mistaken, I do think you can play Gamepass on other devices besides PCs and the Xbox.