Register Now
Ryan Blake

Sony reportedly plans to put ads in PlayStation games - Verge

The in-game ads are expected to launch by the end of the year and would appear in inconspicuous places within the game, like billboards. Players could also get rewards for watching advertisements, and the ads would be sold through a private marketplace, Insider reports. Sources told Insider that Sony hasn’t yet decided if it would take a portion of ad revenue but is considering having developers and publishers pay for consumer data.

According to reports, both Sony and Microsoft plan to introduce ads in games this year

Thoughts?

A quick note @Ryan Blake, it good practice to include links in gaming news topics. Since you mentioned "Verge" in the the title, I'll assume it's this this article from The Verge that you are referring too.

This has no place in a game that is pay to play or that you need PS+ to play online, simple as that. Same story on Xbox with Xbox live. Paying to watch ads is where I draw the line.

@Shagger Thank you for the note. Really appreciate it buddy. I didn't insert the link to the article because sometimes people consider it as spamming or link insertions. I read a lot of news daily and I would keep your advice in mind to insert the link of the actual source of information; next time when i share something ☺️

As long as it's only in "free to play" I'm not to fussy, but we all know that's just their way of testing the water.  All the the up front purchases, DLC's, season passes, service charges for online, micro-transactions, special editions, product placements and tax dodging just isn't enough apparently.  They have to include adds in the game's to!  Fuck gaming.

5 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Im tired of dealing with ads in facebook and youtube and now we are going to have to deal with this on games as well ?? next thing you know we are going to have to start paying for yet another service to get rid of the ads, how clever of sony....

You've hit the nail on the head. When it will happen I don't know, but I can see it happening with little effective resistance.

The relationship between video games and advertisements/sponsers have been long-documented, from Pepsiman to Doritos' Dash of Destruction, from Cool Spot to Mad Max and Monster Energy. We've come a long way from seeing Prototype advertising DC Comics and racing games being plastered with sponsers. For once we can't blame this one entirely on mobile.

On 4/22/2022 at 6:35 AM, Ryan Blake said:

@Shagger Thank you for the note. Really appreciate it buddy. I didn't insert the link to the article because sometimes people consider it as spamming or link insertions. I read a lot of news daily and I would keep your advice in mind to insert the link of the actual source of information; next time when i share something ☺️

In this case, links are usually needed. It's not spam to link where you heard the news.

That said, they would be fucking stupid to do this. Gamers would get so sick of seeing these ads, that they would just stop buying new games. Everyone would become a "classic" gamer as they would be playing the games that came out early on the systems that didn't have these ads, and start playing story modes instead of online. Their revenue would plummet, and they would be forced to ditch the ads. I don't see this as doing anything but harm. But if they want to hurt themselves, then let them be idiots. Maybe they'll learn from it. Doubtful, but maybe.

Do I like it? Not really. But honestly, it's not something that would result in me completing ignoring a particular game. As long as it's done in a tasteful and non-intrusive manner, I don't mind it (for now anyway).

The problem of course is that this is only the first step. I'm sure they will trial this out and then slowly make it more intrusive and annoying for gamers.

18 hours ago, Darth said:

Do I like it? Not really. But honestly, it's not something that would result in me completing ignoring a particular game. As long as it's done in a tasteful and non-intrusive manner, I don't mind it (for now anyway).

The problem of course is that this is only the first step. I'm sure they will trial this out and then slowly make it more intrusive and annoying for gamers.

Depending on the genre, I can see this being more of a problem for certain gamers than it is for others.

For example I can see GTA fans having to deal with things like the aforementioned billboards. But also on the sides of buses, magazines, and any TV's playing in any backgrounds. For those of us who are into fantasy games, I doubt we'll see any ads for the McRib being back.

So until they start throwing ads in to interrupt the games (kinda like the way autosave works), I can deal with it. I still think it's a completely moronic idea though.

Edited by The Blackangel

Let's see how it goes, according to the op @Ryan Blake it is not yet concluded, Sony made a suggestion about it. I know running ads is an additional funds to them and dissatisfying to us. But if they'll put it in a way that, it wouldn't be intrusive, then we can get together with it. 

On 4/22/2022 at 3:31 PM, kingpotato said:

Im tired of dealing with ads in facebook and youtube and now we are going to have to deal with this on games as well ?? next thing you know we are going to have to start paying for yet another service to get rid of the ads, how clever of sony....

They are just trying to act all grumpy like they are not making enough money already from their games and consoles. Like seriously, I'm completely against this act. 

i first saw this on a facebook post attached to Forza Horizon, it wasn't that bad actually considering you see side panels in the game too and you won't pay attention to what's being advertised there, the big issue will be once things turn into mobile games experience 

I can understand why people enjoy them especially since they are free but free 2 play games never really resonated with me.

I guess technically i play csgo which is f2p but ive been playing that way before it ever went f2p but thats about it. Believe it or not i have never even played fortnite. I used to play apex but that was when the game first released.

I guess im just old idk. Buying games is my go to unless they start making game experiences like that i probably wont ever touch f2p games.