Register Now
StaceyPowers

Taking breaks from MMOs

When I used to play MUDs a long time ago, taking even a week out of a game could mean falling hopelessly behind. Even a short break could cost one a lot of one’s relevance in the game world.

I always have wondered what the consequences of taking breaks from large, popular MMOs are. Are they that dramatic? Or do you just miss some stuff and then get right back to whatever you were doing before?

One of the best and worst things to come to MMOs is "catch-up systems," wherein after each major patch or toward the end of an expansion you can essentially do minor tasks to be brought near your peers. You're essentially playing less of the game to get equal reward, minus the satisfaction. It's good because it saves time, but it's bad because there's no sense of accomplishment and if you want that sense of accomplishment it's too late because the old content has been nerfed or it takes too long to get a group together for it. For most players, catch-up systems are unnecessary. Why do you need raid-level gear when you don't raid, for instance? I used to be one of those players who felt entitled because I paid the same subscription fee.

MMOs are getting better for this though, by introducing content you can do any time, any place, at your own speed and it have no bearing on the highest end content. You can chop down trees to your heart's content and get the Tree Chop Downerer title so long as there are trees to chop down. WoW is abysmal for this though because "it would cost a raid tier," as if raids are somehow a valuable currency to barter with.

/rant.

One thing that's very common with me and some of my games is that I eventually keep coming back to them no matter how long I left them. Unless I no longer have the game, that's the only way I would stop playing them. 

On 4/24/2022 at 1:10 PM, Withywarlock said:

One of the best and worst things to come to MMOs is "catch-up systems," wherein after each major patch or toward the end of an expansion you can essentially do minor tasks to be brought near your peers. You're essentially playing less of the game to get equal reward, minus the satisfaction. It's good because it saves time, but it's bad because there's no sense of accomplishment and if you want that sense of accomplishment it's too late because the old content has been nerfed or it takes too long to get a group together for it. For most players, catch-up systems are unnecessary. Why do you need raid-level gear when you don't raid, for instance? I used to be one of those players who felt entitled because I paid the same subscription fee.

MMOs are getting better for this though, by introducing content you can do any time, any place, at your own speed and it have no bearing on the highest end content. You can chop down trees to your heart's content and get the Tree Chop Downerer title so long as there are trees to chop down. WoW is abysmal for this though because "it would cost a raid tier," as if raids are somehow a valuable currency to barter with.

/rant.

I'm thinking about a way to make catch-up systems in MMO sort of being better would be having some sort of veteran player rewards like AA abilities or something that makes veteran players better. 

I take a break every now and then in MMOs because they can become quite stressful especially if you're in a top position in a top guild. At times, it seems more stressful than things that happen in real life. A break is good to rejuvenate yourself and also to prevent burnout.

7 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I take a break every now and then in MMOs because they can become quite stressful especially if you're in a top position in a top guild. At times, it seems more stressful than things that happen in real life. A break is good to rejuvenate yourself and also to prevent burnout.

Seriously, in the end, if you take on more than you can carry, it's going to affect your performance and even mental health and stability. 

On 4/26/2022 at 2:56 PM, Justin11 said:

Their is no way I can play online games consistently for hours, I'm a human and not a bot, the body needs adequate rest too to get back to normalcy. 

Unless I'm actually making money off of it, then it's something that I can try as much as possible to drag it along more. 

3 hours ago, Heatman said:

Unless I'm actually making money off of it, then it's something that I can try as much as possible to drag it along more. 

I know money got high spirit, but my health comes first in any thing I'm doing, I wouldn't because of money band allow myself to be drained down due to excessive gaming for money.