Register Now
egghead

What is your best foreign language film?

On 7/16/2022 at 9:50 PM, Justin11 said:

Spanish is the one I didn't try from your list @Clasher. Reason is because, Spanish movies doesn't use English to act, but majority of Chinese Kung Fu movies goes along with English subtitle or spoken language. 

If i am watching on Netflix I could easily get the subtitles to be displayed on the screen, and I do still enjoy movies even when my eyes is both on the action and still trying to read the subtitles. I basically watch every movie with subtitles as I like to get every single word or expressions made.

3 minutes ago, Clasher said:

If i am watching on Netflix I could easily get the subtitles to be displayed on the screen, and I do still enjoy movies even when my eyes is both on the action and still trying to read the subtitles. I basically watch every movie with subtitles as I like to get every single word or expressions made.

Yeah, subtitles makes movies worthwhile to watch for foreign language movies. Their is no way I can watch a Spanish movie, Portuguese or Chinese movie without subtitles displayed on the screen. 

2 minutes ago, Justin11 said:

Yeah, subtitles makes movies worthwhile to watch for foreign language movies. Their is no way I can watch a Spanish movie, Portuguese or Chinese movie without subtitles displayed on the screen. 

I don't understand any of those languages but I love to watch movies and any genre of movie that peaks my interest I would try to watch it, glad there is subtitles to help with some foreign movies though.

17 minutes ago, Clasher said:

I don't understand any of those languages but I love to watch movies and any genre of movie that peaks my interest I would try to watch it, glad there is subtitles to help with some foreign movies though.

Sure, the subtitles added flare to the movie, without it, I wouldn't understand anything around a foreign language that isn't understandable to me. 

I love Chinese, and Indian movies. Even if I can hear Chinese or Indian dialects, I love watching their movie actions. And the movies I enjoyed from the both movie industry is as follows; 

Chinese movies; 

Fearless, Ip Man, Kung Fu Hustle. 

Indian movies; 

3 Idiots, Chennai Express, Baahubali 2. 

The foreign films I find to be the best are mostly anime films. I don't usually watch foreign films, so I don't really have a lot of good examples outside of anime to list. The one I remember most fondly as the 'best' would be the third Madoka Magica film, "Rebellion," but I wouldn't rank it as the best film I've seen ever either in comparison to non-foreign films. Akira was solid and really changed the anime and cyberpunk landscape. And of course, you have other classics like Ghost in the Shell and Grave of the Fireflies. 

I think there were a few non-anime foreign films that I liked enough, like Victoria (2015), an entire film uniquely shot in one take, and Run Lola Run, which I remembered as having a unique film structure, but I couldn't quite remember what (except that it had a Groundhog's Day type of plot). Worth mentioning is the underrated The Orphanage (2007), which was such a beautiful and tragic horror film that subverted horror tropes long before Insidious made it popular to do so. I immediately wrote a review for it after finishing the film because I was just so thoroughly impressed how it provoked me emotionally in all the right ways.

😝😂 It's embarrassing, but it's called "The Lover"..

VERY dirty movie but I swear that's not the reason I like it. The movie would do just fine without all the naughty scenes. I think the storyline is cool. 2 complete opposites meet on a ferry, different in every single way possible. Even in age.

Great film.

Edited by melanie_marie27