Register Now
StaceyPowers

What items do you bother to collect in games?

What items do you bother picking up in the games you play?

I always pick up ammo of any type along with money. I generally pick up health-related consumables. Aside from that, I only pick up things I plan to use myself and/or items I feel sort of sorry for—i.e. the teddy bears in Fallout. But I don’t collect much else. It rarely seems necessary to pick up other items to sell after one is done being a newbie.

Everything. Very rarely is it worth leaving something on the floor or on the body of an NPC because it'll be worth something to someone. Every little helps, and all that. If my pockets get full, it doesn't take that long to empty them. Auto-Loot, all the time!

6 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

It rarely seems necessary to pick up other items to sell after one is done being a newbie.

I can appreciate that. I just do it because it's force of habit. Eventually gold or whatever currency you can get from selling junk becomes pointless, but I still do it because old habits die hard!

11 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

Everything. Very rarely is it worth leaving something on the floor or on the body of an NPC because it'll be worth something to someone. Every little helps, and all that. If my pockets get full, it doesn't take that long to empty them. Auto-Loot, all the time!

I can appreciate that. I just do it because it's force of habit. Eventually gold or whatever currency you can get from selling junk becomes pointless, but I still do it because old habits die hard!

As a completionist, I can sympathize. I collected everything I could for a long time before switching to collecting only certain minimal items to preserve my sanity =D

If the game list it as a collectible i try and get everithing but i guess that's not what this thread is about. 

When i'm early ingame i usually pick up everithing that looks remotely interesting and  get as much junk as possible because like @Withywarlock said every little bit of extra coin helps in the early stages of a rpg.

Usually in later in the game when i don't need the money that bad anymore i just loot money, weapons (if they are worth something), ammo and gear (again if it's worth something) and offcourse if there are any collectibles tied to an achievement/trophy you bet i'm going to try and get that achievement.

I collect everything I can. Not because I'm a completionist. I don't see myself that way. But because I don't like leaving loose ends. For example in RDR2, I want to have found every item, no matter how obscure the damn thing is or how inappropriate it is for a western. Such as the fertility statue. This goes for plants and animals too. If I'm playing a game that has collectibles or a compendium, I want to fill it. Some animals I don't get complete. For example, I study and track rats. But I won't kill them. Nevertheless, they're still listed in my compendium. That's good enough for me. To be a completionist, I would have to kill them. NOT GONNA FUCKING HAPPEN.

There is no point in leaving out anything that you can pick up because at one point in time, it's going to be very useful for you. Health packs, armor, guns, more life etc are all very important.