Register Now
StaceyPowers

Times when you were attacked in games, but still felt like a murderer?

Now you mention it, there's NPCs in The Elder Scrolls games who will - seemingly out of nowhere - just come out and attack. IV: Oblivion was particularly bad with this, with characters ranging from Mythic Dawn sleeper agents to characters framed for crimes you were somehow involved in. It's one of those things that doesn't really happen much outside of Bethesda's games - it's practically a unique trope of theirs that sooner or later someone will attack and is either because of a quest you've done, or is to become part of a quest.

I feel it needs to be coined. Audens' Razor has a nice ring to it.

Edited by Withywarlock

I don't remember why but one NPC in a town in skyrim attacked me,  and I killed them accidentally. But the game never removed the corpse it was always there when I went to that town even 20 hours of gametime later, and there was always a  dismayed crowd around it. It was horrible.

This is more of the opposite to be honest but I still think it's relevant and Interesting.

(Spoilers for The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion)

In The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion.  If you get to the end of the Arena without completing the current Grand Champion's side quest in relation to his birthright, you can just challenge him and have a fight as normal.  If you complete the side quest discovering that he has a vampiric lineage then once you challenge him he just stands there, waiting for you to kill him.  I've actually played it both ways and he is a formidable opponent... when he actually tries.  It's really sad either way.

I guess there is MGS4 with the Beauty and the Beast unit but you have non lethal options to deal with them.  There is also a moment in MGS5 but I think it's to much of a spoiler to really talk about.

On 5/15/2022 at 10:59 PM, m76 said:

I don't remember why but one NPC in a town in skyrim attacked me,  and I killed them accidentally. But the game never removed the corpse it was always there when I went to that town even 20 hours of gametime later, and there was always a  dismayed crowd around it. It was horrible.

They did try to make it look more realistic for you to know it's something you can't get over easily. 

I always feel like a murderer when an animal attacks me. I'm in their territory, their home, and I should respect it. Just because they don't use their paws to build mud brick houses and sip blood tea and roast human nuts in a stone fire pit, with human leg meat dangling to munch on for a nice family meal, doesn't give me the right to defend myself in their own home. 

I played This War of Mine recently and the things I had to do in the game in order for me to survive the war still make me feel gutted and horrible. Killing the old and taking up their stocked supplies, looting etc. 

Playing games like that, I really never thought about that as a game murderer 😛 It's a game, doesn't matter what we do, all games that we play we always end up killing in the game. GTA, CSGO, Hell let loose. I think the difference with The Last of Us and Uncharted is that The Last of Us kind of sells us on that as a normal part of their world at that point. Nathan Drake doesn't really have the same excuse. That might be why IGN loves to call him the most notorious mass murder of all-time.

9 hours ago, Family sedan said:

I feel bad when I kill Grasshopper in Twisted Metal 2.  I can't stand when great looking women get killed.

We always have a soft spot for woman especially the one's that are very gorgeous. You can't just help it not feeling bad for them. 

It is common with me via GTA series, especially on GTA S A. Their are times I try to escape from the metropolitan police or ' FBI' lol, I just got no option but to shoot carelessly to stay at safety. And that affects the NPCs, causing deaths in the street. Still, I don't get to survive the heat when the going gets tough with the police. 

5 hours ago, Dannyjax said:

It was only in Spec Ops : The Line that I felt bad with the killing done by using White Phosphorus in killing women and children. 

The looks on their faces after they had all been killed still hunts me a little. One guy said online that the game is capable of giving you PTSD.