Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do you avoid optional combat in games? Under what conditions?

I tend to do it as often as I can, and as said in a previous state if it fails I'll savescum until I succeed (if that's possible; some games autosave the moment you make your choice). Most every video game RPG has combat, I might as well enjoy some downtime from it and try and get some additional rewards out of it. I think the only games where diplomacy isn't always as tangibly rewarding as combat are Obsidian ones - in Alpha Protocol or Tyranny you might get less XP for talking, even if NPCs may be useful or give you feel good vibes for sparing later down the line.

As for how I do it, persuade as much as possible for the first playthrough, intimidate/lie the second. Ultimately, whichever one nets me the most reward for the least antagonising response.

It depends on the rewards. My goal in any RPG is to get to the end of the story. If an optional boss will get me a more powerful weapon that will help make the end game easier then yes. If it’s just for fun or exploration then usually I don’t care. FF12 is a perfect example, the hunts are okay but I usually don’t do them because leveling up alone is usually enough to get to the end. On the other hand doing Anima in FFX is worth it because Anima destroys everything.

On 5/9/2022 at 1:13 AM, StaceyPowers said:

If you can persuade/intimidate/lie your way out of a fight in a game, do you? In what scenarios?

I even do that in real life, so why wouldn't I do that in video games as well? It saves me a lot of stress 😂

1 hour ago, Boblee said:

I even do that in real life, so why wouldn't I do that in video games as well? It saves me a lot of stress 😂

Let me make a quick guess on the best strategy you make use of and it's lying your way out of the trouble 😂 😂 😂

9 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Definitely video games are for the fun, I can do whatever at my reach to scale through any difficult mission and move to the next level per my wish. 

Then there are some games where the option to choose what you or happens have already been decided for you, no matter what you do, you end up with the same results. 

On 5/15/2022 at 10:57 PM, m76 said:

I always avoid combat unless the game actively punishes you for it. (ie. you get much less XP for doing it that way instead of killing everyoneI

I believe that it's something that happens in most cases, when you willingly give up on a combat, there will always be something to miss out on. 

On 5/15/2022 at 10:57 PM, m76 said:

I always avoid combat unless the game actively punishes you for it. (ie. you get much less XP for doing it that way instead of killing everyoneI

Which particular game have you played which did that to you? Was it a temporary thing or it affected you throughout the game? 

3 hours ago, Boblee said:

Which particular game have you played which did that to you? Was it a temporary thing or it affected you throughout the game? 

Deus Ex human revolution gives more XP the more ruthless and brutal you are. Clearing a level by sneaking  barely gives you any, while the most XP can be gained by headshot killing every NPC.

On 5/9/2022 at 2:13 AM, StaceyPowers said:

If you can persuade/intimidate/lie your way out of a fight in a game, do you? In what scenarios?

I rarely use the lie option because i don't find it right thing to do. I'm more of persuade type of guy since that usually is the most satisfying option, like nobody has to die really. I think an example is the first town you visit in Outer worlds called Edgewater, if your persuade skill is high enough you can save the town peacefully or you can do it by force, i won't go into details because of spoilers but that gave me much more satisfaction then taking the bloody route. If you played the game i'm sure you know what i mean.