Register Now
Ryan Blake

What according to you is the most challenging location in any open world game that you played?

If I had to choose I would still go with The devil's roar region in Sea of thieves. Not only do you have to deal with the near constant threat of krakens, ghost pirates, and other players but now you're in an area where every island has an active volcano on it. All too often the fiery chunks of molten rock spewed by these volcanos find their way to your ship.

Depending how liberal we're being with the term open world, the one that immediately springs to mind is Blighttown in Dark Souls Remastered. Painfully dimly lit, there's ogre-like creatures with heavy clubs that swing hard and chase fast. Some throw boulders as you're trying to navigate the poison swamp. There's poison dart-blowers, mosquitoes as tall as a Hollowed, natives humanoids that I can't begin to describe, and fire hounds. At least there's maggots that can easily be dealt with for easy Souls. The original version of the game was particularly hard to deal with because the frame-rate died a death in Blighttown, making it one of the worst locations in games for quite a while.

For a more conventional open world title I would say Alcaz Island in World of Warcraft, at least during the Legion expansion where Hunters could tame the mechanical inhabitants... if they could surpass the turrets that would shoot down both grounded and aerial targets.