Register Now
CastletonSnob

Nintendo's consoles vs. Nintendo's handhelds.

On 7/7/2022 at 5:03 PM, Heatman said:

My attachment to Playstation consoles wouldn't let me switch to Nintendo consoles no matter how good they might look. It's why I had to work with Nintendo Switch as a way to still have a connection to the Nintendo brand. 

i miss my ps2 but i fried it playing too many hrs at a time. lol!

10 hours ago, runswithspatulas said:

i miss my ps2 but i fried it playing too many hrs at a time. lol!

A friend of mine had the same experience with his Nintendo Switch Lite. But I think that it's something to do with console having a factory problem. I never got to ask him what's the outcome. Now, that I have mentioned it, I'm going to check in on him about it. 

Handhelds generally do sell more than home consoles. What with them being less expensive and requiring one per person for any sort of multiplayer. Game Boy and DS consoles didn't only outsell Nintendo home consoles, they have outsold every home console except the PS2.

1 hour ago, Empire said:

Handhelds generally do sell more than home consoles. What with them being less expensive and requiring one per person for any sort of multiplayer. Game Boy and DS consoles didn't only outsell Nintendo home consoles, they have outsold every home console except the PS2.

It was the same thing that gave rise to mobile gaming as well. Gamers needed something to play with when they are not at home, so the portability of mobile phones and other handheld gaming devices came into playing by making them sought after. It's more like what got Nintendo into making more games for their handhelds. 

Do you guys ever thing we'll see a new DS? Or Nintendo handheld that isn't also a console like the Switch? I truly believe that the Switch is their future, in that they will continue to make handheld/console hybrids and skip the traditional handhelds they are known for. The 3DS & 2DS will probably receive support for a little while longer, but eventually I see Nintendo's focus being on new switch models rather than new DS/handhelds. 

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

Do you guys ever thing we'll see a new DS? Or Nintendo handheld that isn't also a console like the Switch? I truly believe that the Switch is their future, in that they will continue to make handheld/console hybrids and skip the traditional handhelds they are known for. The 3DS & 2DS will probably receive support for a little while longer, but eventually I see Nintendo's focus being on new switch models rather than new DS/handhelds. 

They're shutting down the online store for the 3DS next year, and next month they're prohibiting the ability to add funds. Nintendo themselves are basically done with it, but we might get some stray third party physical games that are from some weird company. 

5 hours ago, Grungie said:

They're shutting down the online store for the 3DS next year, and next month they're prohibiting the ability to add funds. Nintendo themselves are basically done with it, but we might get some stray third party physical games that are from some weird company. 

When I came across the update on this by Nintendo Here  it was when I knew for sure that Nintendo is going to move on from the project and focus more on Switch. My brother had to add up all the funds he needed in his 3DS wallet before they stopped it. 

22 hours ago, Heatman said:

A friend of mine had the same experience with his Nintendo Switch Lite. But I think that it's something to do with console having a factory problem. I never got to ask him what's the outcome. Now, that I have mentioned it, I'm going to check in on him about it. 

for some reason the switch lite overheats really fast. the little internal fans don't work like they should. i can play animal crossing for quite a while before it heats up. fortnite is more involved and i'm good for about 3 matches then i gotta switch to my other one. they don't get quite as hot using the controller instead though. not sure why. 

8 hours ago, Kane99 said:

if they're gonna run with the switch they need to make some improvements in their hardware i think. i used to be able to play games all day long on my 3DS and that thing never once locked up or overheated. they need 3DS capabilities in with the switch capabilities to give us something more stable. but i like the concept of either having the option to hold it or hook it up to the tv. i just wish the damn screens weren't so small on all these things. lol!

16 hours ago, Grungie said:

Well that sucks, but makes sense with the switch taking over. I feel like they will focus their attention on just the Switch going forward, because now it really doesn't make sense to make another 3DS or DS handheld when the Switch has that covered. It's essentially their handheld and console in one, so the need for another handheld isn't really needed anymore. And I think fans know this as well. 

Sucks to see it dying out, but makes sense, considering the 3DS has been around since 2011, so its time is coming to an end. 

23 hours ago, runswithspatulas said:

for some reason the switch lite overheats really fast. the little internal fans don't work like they should. i can play animal crossing for quite a while before it heats up. fortnite is more involved and i'm good for about 3 matches then i gotta switch to my other one. they don't get quite as hot using the controller instead though. not sure why. 

Maybe it's because it's was a lite version, I'm not really sure what would be the cause of that. I haven't played using the lite version yet. I'm going to ask my friend if he also experiences that quick heating up when he plays too long on his own. 

8 hours ago, Heatman said:

Maybe it's because it's was a lite version, I'm not really sure what would be the cause of that. I haven't played using the lite version yet. I'm going to ask my friend if he also experiences that quick heating up when he plays too long on his own. 

like i said it's worse with games like fortnite. when my lite overheats the fan doesn't come on like it should and it's noisy when it does. i can tell if it's time to shut it down because my fortnite skins start looking screwy. been having trouble with my mic not wanting to work too. 

On 7/20/2022 at 8:08 PM, Kane99 said:

Well that sucks, but makes sense with the switch taking over. I feel like they will focus their attention on just the Switch going forward, because now it really doesn't make sense to make another 3DS or DS handheld when the Switch has that covered. It's essentially their handheld and console in one, so the need for another handheld isn't really needed anymore. And I think fans know this as well. 

Sucks to see it dying out, but makes sense, considering the 3DS has been around since 2011, so its time is coming to an end. 

I think a good number of their fans moved on from the 3DS when Switch was introduced which they didn't try pulling the plug on it immediately. But with recent increase and popularity of Switch, it felt as if most people have already abandoned the 3DS, so it's only right that the company move on focus more on what's more on demand. 

8 hours ago, Heatman said:

I think a good number of their fans moved on from the 3DS when Switch was introduced which they didn't try pulling the plug on it immediately. But with recent increase and popularity of Switch, it felt as if most people have already abandoned the 3DS, so it's only right that the company move on focus more on what's more on demand. 

yeah but some of us like to go back and keep playing some of the stuff on older consoles and handhelds. i went to go play a legos game on mine that i can't get on my switch the one day and it wouldn't let me connect to the wifi to update my device and i can't get on and play without the update so it became unusable.