Register Now
Lens

Xbox series S has a memory constraint

Xbox, a console that was enjoyed by many gamers  recently faced a constraint that isn't CPU, GPU related on its S series. Rather, the developers were encountering a memory  constraint on the Xbox series S . Many developers were having difficulties in making games for the console.

I can't say I'm surprised to see this happen. I was worried that the Xbox Series S's lack of muscle might lead to compatibility problems with games further into this generation. However, to be honest, I didn't think it would happen quite this soon. That just makes this more worrying. I can actually picture people using Xbox's game streaming service on the Series S to play new games because they have to.

Edited by Shagger

Their is no way I could have gotten this type of information, because I don't own an Xbox series S, and such wouldn't make me concentrate in making deeper researches like this one. If that's the case, then it means for other users to wait for the supply of X version to be up and running again. I believe that one's storage wouldn't be limited like it's lookalike. 

On 5/18/2022 at 4:51 PM, Shagger said:

I can't say I'm surprised to see this happen. I was worried that the Xbox Series S's lack of muscle might lead to compatibility problems with games further into this generation. However, to be honest, I didn't think it would happen quite this soon. That make just makes this more worrying. I can actually picture people using Xbox's game streaming service on the Series S to play new games because they have to.

I'm curious as to how this will be addressed because they'll have to compensate Series S users if this isn't sorted out. Will they give them free Series Xs? (Doesn't sound like something Microsoft would seriously consider unless under court order or something) or will the just offer a refund?

On 5/18/2022 at 10:51 PM, Shagger said:

I can't say I'm surprised to see this happen. I was worried that the Xbox Series S's lack of muscle might lead to compatibility problems with games further into this generation. However, to be honest, I didn't think it would happen quite this soon. That make just makes this more worrying. I can actually picture people using Xbox's game streaming service on the Series S to play new games because they have to.

If this isn't a big turnoff in the part of Microsoft for not developing their Xbox series s console with a more expandable memory to serve for both present and future games.

For those of us with the Xbox series s we can just stick  to enjoying the Games already made available now.

I hope that this is not something those who's got Xbox Series X would have to be worried about as well because it's my brother's current console since he's moved on from playing on Playstation 4. 

On 5/26/2022 at 6:03 PM, Clasher said:

If this isn't a big turnoff in the part of Microsoft for not developing their Xbox series s console with a more expandable memory to serve for both present and future games.

For those of us with the Xbox series s we can just stick  to enjoying the Games already made available now.

The limitations that gives you with games you wouldn't or can't play on the console will make it a frustrating experience for you all the time. I'd never like to be in that situation. 

Not sure if that's entirely true. Every economist knows every action has a trade off. The time spent optimizing for Series S that could have been spent beautifying the X version if there was no S.

So it probably is true that the S was built with scaling down in mind and it shouldn't be hard to achieve. But at the same time, the game won't look/run as good as it would if only Series X existed.

With the series S I hear the reason it isn't as good is because it takes 2GB to use the system itself, and the console I think only supports 10GB of RAM, and developers only get that 8GB to work with. We all knew the S was going to be a less powerful console. The way I can see it being sorted, is by just making the games use lower textures/graphics, as that should help a lot. Of course I know gamers probably don't want that, but it'd make a lot of the games we want to play work just fine. I can totally do with downgraded games if I got to play all the new ones anyway. 

12 hours ago, Heatman said:

The limitations that gives you with games you wouldn't or can't play on the console will make it a frustrating experience for you all the time. I'd never like to be in that situation. 

The Xbox series S is quite an efficient console but it's limitations is not having expansible memory which means you either stick to playing the games you can install in it or you can delete an old game to get a new one if you don't get that much attached to any video game.

15 hours ago, Clasher said:

The Xbox series S is quite an efficient console but it's limitations is not having expansible memory which means you either stick to playing the games you can install in it or you can delete an old game to get a new one if you don't get that much attached to any video game.

Anyways that's a problem for those that have Xbox Series S. The Series X version have always been my favourite and if I'm ever getting an Xbox console now, it's going to be X Series because it's way better in every way possible. It's even been compared to PS5 by some users. 

On 7/16/2022 at 2:04 PM, Heatman said:

Anyways that's a problem for those that have Xbox Series S. The Series X version have always been my favourite and if I'm ever getting an Xbox console now, it's going to be X Series because it's way better in every way possible. It's even been compared to PS5 by some users. 

The series X is like an upgraded version of the series S so to speak, though they possess some similar features I still prefer the series X to the S.

1 hour ago, Clasher said:

The series X is like an upgraded version of the series S so to speak, though they possess some similar features I still prefer the series X to the S.

A friend of mine almost purchased Xbox Series S a while back but I knew better about those Xbox consoles and advised him against doing that and he later went for the X Series. Now, he's more than enjoying the X series. 

4 hours ago, Heatman said:

A friend of mine almost purchased Xbox Series S a while back but I knew better about those Xbox consoles and advised him against doing that and he later went for the X Series. Now, he's more than enjoying the X series. 

Though I have the series X but anyone with the series S would still have as much fun playing on that console.

Well, it's a thing of choice and you could choose to purchase any of them you can afford to buy.