Register Now
Crazycrab

The "Not posting like a spammer" appreciation thread.

This might seem a little passive aggressive but I swear it's not.  This is primarily a thread just to say thank you for the bombing of this forum of repitive shit posting that's not been happening as of late.

So if you've got something to say or rant that doesn't fit anywhere else but would rather not post a new topic then post it here.

Consider this the official thread of "Say whatever you want".

The first thing I need to point out is that this does not belong in "General Gaming", so I'm moving it to General Chat.

Secondly, I'm not convinced this thread is necessary nor helpful. For Example, I would consider the "Community Chat" to be a suitable alternative to this, and the subject of the "spammy posting" has been controversial. Having said that, until this thread causes a problem, I see no reason to lock or remove it. I will be watching this thread carefully and I obviously expect people to post within the rules. So to everyone who contributes to this, behave yourselves. This is your only warning.

Well if we can post our thoughts here, i (sort off) started getting used to the spamming and if people want to post 30 posts a day eh who am i to judge, i'm not here long enough yet so my oppinion doesen't overly matter, however if you do please try and keep the following in mind i'm just speaking for myself and don't know maybe others will agree with me :

->Please start reading the previous posts instead of blindly posting something for the sake of it as it makes you look like a clown.

->Don't start talking trash or hype up a game or something else for the matter because someone else says so : for example @Reality vs Adventure clearly loves saints row 2 and 3, doesen't mean i have to agree with him, you get what i'm saying, the fourth is my favourite in the series if you're wondering. 

->-If you know nothing about the subject at matter of hand, you know google it, read about it first before posting something gibberish, you can always ask what it's about it as i'm sure somebody will explain what it is or just don't post anything at all. I don't like to discuss politics and religion  because both faith and politcal beliefs are personal imo, you're not going to change me from that perspective so i just don't post anything at all in that section.

-> Please don't take this personal or offence to this as i know most of you who post on here a lot, love the board more then anything else and it sort off too became my favourite place to hang out in the past few months. It's Just the amount of posts to go trough is kind off overwhelming sometimes especially when you don't have a lot of time.

2 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

Well if we can post our thoughts here, i (sort off) started getting used to the spamming and if people want to post 30 posts a day eh who am i to judge, i'm not here long enough yet so my oppinion doesen't overly matter, however if you do please try and keep the following in mind i'm just speaking for myself and don't know maybe others will agree with me :

->Please start reading the previous posts instead of blindly posting something for the sake of it as it makes you look like a clown.

->Don't start talking trash or hype up a game or something else for the matter because someone else says so : for example @Reality vs Adventure clearly loves saints row 2 and 3, doesen't mean i have to agree with him, you get what i'm saying, the fourth is my favourite in the series if you're wondering. 

->-If you know nothing about the subject at matter of hand, you know google it, read about it first before posting something gibberish, you can always ask what it's about it as i'm sure somebody will explain what it is or just don't post anything at all. I don't like to discuss politics and religion  because both faith and politcal beliefs are personal imo, you're not going to change me from that perspective so i just don't post anything at all in that section.

-> Please don't take this personal or offence to this as i know most of you who post on here a lot, love the board more then anything else and it sort off too became my favourite place to hang out in the past few months. It's Just the amount of posts to go trough is kind off overwhelming sometimes especially when you don't have a lot of time.

It's not people posting 30+ posts a day that causes the problem, it's when people do these "bursts" of 30-40 posts in less than hour. It's impossible to put the correct and expected amount of research, proof reading, foresight or any real thought at all into what they posting at kind of pace. You inevitably end up with a wall full of rushed, error ridden, pointless posts really more a sentence long that either state the obvious, something factually incorrect and are often of topic because the people are not taking the time to understand what's going in the entire thread. When people do this it not only means they don't give themselves enough time to put care into what they write, they don't give themselves time to read anything properly either, especially if the post is more than a couple of paragraphs. It's a shame for people who genuinely do put and effort into what they post.

Edited by Shagger

Many members are guilty of machine gun posting. I've probably done it in the past more than once. These days, most of the members educate themselves on the topic of the thread, and their replies are a contribution to the thread. Not of just a post. When you can contribute to a thread with a well thought out response, by all means, the forum welcomes it. If you are going to post inane bullshit that has nothing to do with the topic at hand, then it reflects bad on the forum, but especially bad on you. It makes you look like an idiot, and makes the forum look like anything goes, despite there being moderators and an administrator. If you have replied to a thread, that is not to say that you are required to continue replying to the thread. I have dropped many discussions that I had previously replied to. It's not hard to do. We want this place to run smoothly, but posting the same thing in every thread until your fingers hurt gets rid of good topics as it pushes them back. It pisses everyone off, and makes our job that much harder. If you have a meaningful contribution to 5, 10, 15 threads, then by all means, post it. But the machine gun posting has to stop.

57 minutes ago, Shagger said:

It's not people posting 30+ posts a day that causes the problem, it's when people do these "bursts" of 30-40 post in less than hour. It's impossible to put the correct and expected amount of research, proof reading, foresight or any real thought at all into what they posting at kind of pose. you end up a wall with rushed, error ridden, pointless posts really more a sentence long that state the obvious and are often of topic because they taken the time to understand what's going in the entire thread. When people do this it not only means they don't give themselves enough to put care into what they write, they don't give themselves time to read anything properly either, especially if the post is more than a couple of paragraphs.

It's doubtfull any normal human being is able to post 30 times in an hour. Even if you just read the topic title, the human brain doesen't work that fast enough to process like what am i going to write, that's 2 minutes per post taking into account scrolling through the forums, reading the topic title, typing even if they are just one sentence long and waiting for your post to load, but man it would be a challenging to do.

Lol, maybe it's just me and i'm super slow because my posts usually take up to half an hour or longer. I just posted what was on my mind in that previous post, you're the moderator here and i'm just a regulair mortal.

It's actually easier than you may think. Posts load to the thread automatically as soon as you hit submit. Then you can go on to the next one, and post the same meaningless reply. Also people can copy and paste if they so desire. Which is REALLY infuriating.

15 minutes ago, Yaramaki said:

It's doubtfull any normal human being is able to post 30 times in an hour. Even if you just read the topic title, the human brain doesen't work that fast enough to process like what am i going to write, that's 2 minutes per post taking into account scrolling through the forums, reading the topic title, typing even if they are just one sentence long and waiting for your post to load, but man it would be a challenging to do.

Lol, maybe it's just me and i'm super slow because my posts usually take up to half an hour or longer. I just posted what was on my mind in that previous post, you're the moderator here and i'm just a regulair mortal.

Trust me, I have seen people do 30-40 posts in space of an hour quite often. And not surprisingly, the quality of the posts tend to be dreadful. It's all things I mentioned already. Spelling and grammatical errors, careless formatting, off-topic posts, statements of the obvious that are often just lifted out of somebody else's post, incorrect details and clearly knowing the subject matter of that conversation not nearly well enough to even comment in the first place, but they do anyway. The most amazing part about this is that these people, at least at first, don't see a problem with this. I do not get how somebody can think they are making a worthwhile contribution when make posts at a pace greater than one post ever two minutes. There no other way to describe it, that is a rush, and a rush happens at the cost of quality. It's not thinking it through or caring about the end result. It's only recently I feel like I've been getting through to people that this kind of posting hurts a forum this small. It would maybe be OK on something like Neogaff that is really busy, but not here.

15 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

It's actually easier than you may think. Posts load to the thread automatically as soon as you hit submit. Then you can go on to the next one, and post the same meaningless reply. Also people can copy and paste if they so desire. Which is REALLY infuriating.

Yeah i'm not going to try that if there is one thing i learned while i'm here is that to not piss you off and i'd to be honest i'd much rather stay on your good side.

On 5/16/2022 at 11:26 AM, The Blackangel said:

Many members are guilty of machine gun posting. I've probably done it in the past more than once. These days, most of the members educate themselves on the topic of the thread, and their replies are a contribution to the thread. Not of just a post. When you can contribute to a thread with a well thought out response, by all means, the forum welcomes it. If you are going to post inane bullshit that has nothing to do with the topic at hand, then it reflects bad on the forum, but especially bad on you. It makes you look like an idiot, and makes the forum look like anything goes, despite there being moderators and an administrator. If you have replied to a thread, that is not to say that you are required to continue replying to the thread. I have dropped many discussions that I had previously replied to. It's not hard to do. We want this place to run smoothly, but posting the same thing in every thread until your fingers hurt gets rid of good topics as it pushes them back. It pisses everyone off, and makes our job that much harder. If you have a meaningful contribution to 5, 10, 15 threads, then by all means, post it. But the machine gun posting has to stop.

Or going completely off-topic - I've seen this happen in quite a bit of threads and it confuses the hell out of me when I'm going through the entire thread and wondering why is there a convo about Fifa when we were talking about car games for instance.