Register Now
The Blackangel

Do you play your games silently?

Does anyone else play their games with the sound either turned all the way down or the TV just flat out muted? I do. I play all my games silenced. The only exception would be RDR2. But everything else I play silently. I've played that way so long, that turning on the sound actually distracts me now and causes me to screw up and usually die. NES, SNES, N64, PS1, Atari 2600, Game Boy, and everything else. They're always silent. I'm probably the only one here who plays that way. The thought occurred to me as I was waiting for the floor under the clock to open in Castlevania SOTN to ask if anyone else plays their games silenced.

I couldn't play my games like that unless I had to. Even on the simplest games, like Atari 2600 simple, I would want to hear whatever sounds were there. There are some games like VN's that are often mute or with very little sound, and I like said if a game is simply made that way then so be it, but sound adds too much for me to turn it off.

Edited by Shagger

Yeah, the sound is one element of the game that can improve it massively. It would be way too weird for me to play games with them muted. I just tend to have my earphones plugged in to the controller so that I'm the only one that can hear it. And with certain games like sports games or racing ones, sometimes I'll just put on Spotify and listen to music in the background. 

Yeah I wouldnt play videogames muted unless I had to, like back when I was a kid if I wanted to stay all night playing on my gameboy I had to lower the sound, or if somebody its on the phone and you have to like mute it for a few minutes, but its not something I would do if I dont have to.

I need sound for immersion purposes; plus sometimes that background music kicks in and draws me deep into the game. Every now and then when I'm customizing gear or doing something not gameplay related, I'll either turn it down or mute the sound and give my pet some quiet time. I don't need the base thumping when I'm not actually doing something in the game.  

On 5/17/2022 at 5:09 PM, Ryan Blake said:

Hats off to you brother. I don't know if I can play games after muting the audio. But I'll give it a try. 😅

Imagine trying to watch a movie with the sound? I don't even know how it's going to feel like. Unless their is an option for a subtitle, then it can be managed. 

4 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Movie without a sound isn't classified as movie, how on earth can that be enjoyed? I wouldn't even watch for a single minute, just like playing for a minute via gaming. 

The very first time I tried doing that when playing Ghost of Tsushima, I slept off on the game. Even though it was among my favorite games, without the sound, it's no longer a complete game. 

1 hour ago, Heatman said:

The very first time I tried doing that when playing Ghost of Tsushima, I slept off on the game. Even though it was among my favorite games, without the sound, it's no longer a complete game. 

Does it mean Ghost of Tsushima got no sound? I never tried the game after watching it's trailer on YouTube severally. 

8 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Does it mean Ghost of Tsushima got no sound? I never tried the game after watching it's trailer on YouTube severally. 

I never said Ghost of Tsushima never had audio or sound but that I had to try playing with the sound off. The feeling was totally different from when there was audio in the gaming.