Register Now
Clasher

Gameboy handheld games: An unforgettable era

Game boy which was first released in 1996, manufactured by Nintendo was my first ever experience with an hand held video game which was gifted to me in the early 2000.

I got so addicted to the game series that I virtually purchased almost all the games from Tetris to super Mario land and even my favourite metroid II: the return of Samus . though the games are not still made but it is worth it that we appreciate this gaming console that made our childhood fun.

I only had the original gameboy for about a year or so, by that time the GBA had already came out so my parents got me a gba by christams the following year.
But the original gameboy in black in white was my very first experience at a handheld, I only had like 3 games, Tetris, a godzilla game and Final fantasy adventure or also known as Mystic Quest in some regions. I remember playing on road trips and I had to rely on the lights from other cars on the freeway since the damn screen was so dark xD

I absolutely loved my Game Boy(s). One of my fondest childhood memories was doing so well in school that my folks rewarded me with a Game Boy Colour. Wario Land and Donkey Kong Land were easily some of the best games I'd played, if somewhat frustrating at times. Cost a bomb in batteries though. 😭

7 hours ago, Clasher said:

Game boy which was first released in 1996, manufactured by Nintendo was my first ever experience with an hand held video game which was gifted to me in the early 2000.

I got so addicted to the game series that I virtually purchased almost all the games from Tetris to super Mario land and even my favorite Metroid II: the return of Samus . though the games are not still made but it is worth it that we appreciate this gaming console that made our childhood fun.

Where exactly did you get that date? The Game Boy was released April 21st 1989. That's 7 years prior to your date.

7 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

Where exactly did you get that date? The Game Boy was released April 21st 1989. That's 7 years prior to your date.

He means the Game Boy Pocket, I had the original, the pocket had a gray screen and the original green and it was smaller and it used less batteries

I have a pocket as well. Actually I have every edition of Game Boy that they made. These days I tend to play on my GBASP as opposed to any of the others. It's more compact and it's rechargeable instead of having to use batteries. So it's just a hell of a lot more convenient. Also it is backlit where the others aren't.

3 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I have a pocket as well. Actually I have every edition of Game Boy that they made. These days I tend to play on my GBASP as opposed to any of the others. It's more compact and it's rechargeable instead of having to use batteries. So it's just a hell of a lot more convenient. Also it is backlit where the others aren't.

Oh yeah the SP was overall better. See nintendo used to be a great company when it came to handhelds, almost every gameboy was retrocompatible, I remember I had a collection of original GB, GBC and GBA cartridges and they all worked like a charm. and they were durable, I cant remember how many times I dropped it at school.

I just hope that the next console after the switch will also be retrocompatible.

10 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Gameboy pocket version was released in 1996 and it was sold for $69 at the time. I wasn't referring to the earliest versions released in 1989. I got my first gray pocket version as early as 2000, it was much lighter and portable than the earliest versions as well.

16 hours ago, Clasher said:

Gameboy pocket version was released in 1996 and it was sold for $69 at the time. I wasn't referring to the earliest versions released in 1989. I got my first gray pocket version as early as 2000, it was much lighter and portable than the earliest versions as well.

Gameboy was a big deal from Nintendo back in the days. Although, I never got the pocket version because I never had any use for it. It's now that they have worked nicely on Switch. It gives me everything that I need.