Register Now
Clasher

best game developers: Sony or Microsoft?

Sony and Microsoft are among the major videos games developers and are high competitors in the game world. sony has made more than 4000 video games since they  game into the gaming world ranging from their best sellers  marvel's Spiderman (ps4) , uncharted 4 and horizon: zero Dawn. they haven't seize to make good games.

Microsoft hasn't been left behind in this trends they have made and released over 1000 games which consists of  more than 200 exclusives. ranging from Minecraft (my all time favorite) , Gears of war and Halo.

which company would you rank all time best developers of trilling video games?

Both Sony and Microsoft have made incredible games. They have equally made some crap games as well, that can't be overlooked. But since I play more on Sony's Playstation consoles, I'm going to side with them over Microsoft. 

Edited by Heatman

I feel the need to correct you a little bit here. Microsoft and Sony are not developers of games. In terms of Microsoft's Xbox and and Sony's PlayStation, they play the role of Games Publishers. A game publisher is to a game developer what a record label is to a recording artist, they invest into the developer to give them funding to support the game development and whatever else the developer needs to create the game. A publisher will also provide specific services such as promoting the game, obtaining whatever licences the game may need (like to use copyrighted music and branding, for example), manufacturing the physical copies and getting the game onto store shelves. Unless a game is independently published (often called an "indie" game, that's where term comes from), a developer and publisher, despite thier association, will be two completely separate companies.

More specifically to Sony and Microsoft, there is not actually a single game you listed that was developed by Sony or Microsoft. They were the publisher, not developer.

On the Sony side;

On the Microsoft side;

• Minecraft actually started out as an indie game developed by Mojang Games. It only became a part of Microsoft's brand when Microsoft bought Mojang Games in 2014.
  • Gears of War was developed by Epic Games (I linked a Wikipedia page this time because Epic's own website is also a storefront, so this will actually give a better insight into thier history as game developer)
  • Halo was developed first by Bungie then by 343 Industries.

There are some expectations, like Microsoft did (at least part) develop Microsoft Flight Simulator and Sony do have thier own development studios under the banner Worldwide Studios that have developed games like Gravity Rush, but most exclusives games these days are actually made by developers that exist as separate companies to the console brand. Unless you're Nintendo, obviously, they still make most of thier own games.

Edited by Shagger

I main PS. Sony is better at making consoles. As far as making games goes I won't judge. There have been some great sony exclusives but sony has became WAY too westernized and cinematic over the past 10 years and it really makes me angry why they have taken this direction than just making fun and cool games/IPs like infamous and ratchet and clank like they used to. I haven't played any xbox exclusives though so I can't say if they are better. There are some xbox exclusives which look good however like sunset overdrive and killer instinct. 

Did Microsoft even directly develop any other game than Flight Simulator?

What about SONY?

Or are you being so brazen that you consider any game developed by a studio that is owned by either as developed by MS / SONY?

10 minutes ago, m76 said:

Did Microsoft even directly develop any other game than Flight Simulator?

What about SONY?

Or are you being so brazen that you consider any game developed by a studio that is owned by either as developed by MS / SONY?

No need to be rude. I explained all of this already in an earlier post.

On 5/18/2022 at 9:34 PM, Shagger said:

I feel the need to correct you a little bit here. Microsoft and Sony are not developers of games. In terms of Microsoft's Xbox and and Sony's PlayStation, they play the role of Games Publishers. A game publisher is to a game developer what a record label is to a recording artist, they invest into the developer to give them funding to support the game development and whatever else the developer needs to create the game. A publisher will also provide specific services such as promoting the game, obtaining whatever licences the game may need (like to use copyrighted music and branding, for example), manufacturing the physical copies and getting the game onto store shelves. Unless a game is independently published (often called an "indie" game, that's where term comes from), a developer and publisher, despite thier association, will be two completely separate companies.

More specifically to Sony and Microsoft, there is actually a single game you listed that was developed by Sony or Microsoft. They were the publisher, not developer.

On the Sony side;

On the Microsoft side;

• Minecraft actually started out as an indie game developed by Mojang Games. It only became a part of Microsoft's brand when Microsoft bought Mojang Games in 2014.
  • Gears of War was developed by Epic Games (I linked a Wikipedia page this time because Epic's own website is also a storefront, so this will actually give a better insight into thier history as game developer)
  • Halo was developed first by Bungie then by 343 Industries.

There are some expectations, like Microsoft did (at least part) develop Microsoft Flight Simulator and Sony do have thier own development studios under the banner Worldwide Studios that have developed games like Gravity Rush, but most exclusives games these days are actually made by developers that exist as separate companies to the console brand. Unless you're Nintendo, obviously, they still make most of thier own games.

Edited by Shagger

I think a question that would lead to more discussion is 'which console manufacturer has the best developers', to wit I say Sony hands down. I've deemed the latest feeding frenzy that is the 20s' acquisitions craze as Microsoft wanting intellectual properties and Sony wanting people. Before you read the following, I appreciate this is getting us somewhat off-topic so I invite mods to reprimand me for derailing conversation, should it be deemed so (especially after I've been so hardline on it recently).

One needs only look at the properties Microsoft has bought up and the people behind them: Bethesda and Obsidian, for instance, are notoriously bad developers (even Obsidian are the first to admit they're the common problem with games like Alpha Protocol, Fallout: New Vegas and The Outer Worlds) but make critically acclaimed games that people want to buy. But then you look at how Microsoft assigns developers: 343 Industries is exclusively Halo (because of the significance of '343' in Halo lore); Ninja Theory, the makers of Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, are put on to do Bleeding Edge; RARE with Kinect games. If there's talent, Microsoft will mismanage it.

Sony on the other hand buy studios who have worked with them and produce consistently good stuff, examples already given above. We can complain all we like about the handling of Destiny even post-Activision, but they know how to make one of the most functional games-as-a-disservice given the West's rocky MMO territory.

Edited by Withywarlock

2 hours ago, Jasmin said:

I don't choose a side, I play games distributed by Microsoft as well as Sony. Apart from Sony and Microsoft there are a lot of game distributors. By the way, Microsoft makes more money than Sony.

You're very correct on that. Microsoft have a market cap of about $2 trillion while that of Sony is $150 billion. 

On 6/11/2022 at 7:04 AM, Withywarlock said:

I think a question that would lead to more discussion is 'which console manufacturer has the best developers', to wit I say Sony hands down. I've deemed the latest feeding frenzy that is the 20s' acquisitions craze as Microsoft wanting intellectual properties and Sony wanting people. Before you read the following, I appreciate this is getting us somewhat off-topic so I invite mods to reprimand me for derailing conversation, should it be deemed so (especially after I've been so hardline on it recently).

One needs only look at the properties Microsoft has bought up and the people behind them: Bethesda and Obsidian, for instance, are notoriously bad developers (even Obsidian are the first to admit they're the common problem with games like Alpha Protocol, Fallout: New Vegas and The Outer Worlds) but make critically acclaimed games that people want to buy. But then you look at how Microsoft assigns developers: 343 Industries is exclusively Halo (because of the significance of '343' in Halo lore); Ninja Theory, the makers of Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, are put on to do Bleeding Edge; RARE with Kinect games. If there's talent, Microsoft will mismanage it.

Sony on the other hand buy studios who have worked with them and produce consistently good stuff, examples already given above. We can complain all we like about the handling of Destiny even post-Activision, but they know how to make one of the most functional games-as-a-disservice given the West's rocky MMO territory.

I wouldn't disagree with you, Sony gives out what they feel the general public or game users would like to use, they understand the market quite well.

On the other Microsoft are just about the intellectual property and wants to own or be in charge of virtually  every game developing company to add to their archive of games without taking time to discover how well they could integrate such game developers into their own company and release the best quality and well scripted games that would stand the test of time.

On 6/11/2022 at 12:45 PM, Heatman said:

You're very correct on that. Microsoft have a market cap of about $2 trillion while that of Sony is $150 billion. 

Company does not matter to me, I try to choose the best product. By the way the market cap you listed for microsoft is just for microsoft game or the entire microsoft company?

Sony and Microsoft had the common sense to include a goddamn ethernet jack. And not use Friend Codes, which Nintendo almost learned but then suddenly regressed on. Overall it just feels like Nintendo still has no idea how to internet.

1 hour ago, Jasmin said:

Company does not matter to me, I try to choose the best product. By the way the market cap you listed for microsoft is just for microsoft game or the entire microsoft company?

It's for the company in general. I'm not sure if they had anything like a different market cap for just their games. 

On 6/13/2022 at 11:48 AM, Empire said:

Sony and Microsoft had the common sense to include a goddamn ethernet jack. And not use Friend Codes, which Nintendo almost learned but then suddenly regressed on. Overall it just feels like Nintendo still has no idea how to internet.

Nintendo  makes some really good consoles nevertheless but I think there are still a lot more features that they need to add to their consoles to meet up with the competition in the gaming world.