Register Now
kingpotato

Which turn based RPG should I play

Recomend me a turn based RPG to play  

11 members have voted

1. 1. These are the ones Im most interested in playing.

• Super Mario RPG Snes
    • Earthbound
    • Final Fantasy 6
    • Breath of Fire
    • Golden Sun
    • Chrono Trigger
    • Bravely default

On 6/3/2022 at 9:28 PM, Withywarlock said:

There's only 10 votes and 7 choices so I'm not surprised there's no support for it. Not to mention it's the newest of the lot as far as I can tell, the others all having developed renown over more than a decade. In the context of this list, I imagine any pre-3D Final Fantasy would've seen more votes than Bravely Default, because it's my understanding that's just what it is. That's just my guess though; CRPGs are more my thing. 😅

That's probably the reason why it never got any vote especially for the fact that it's newest amongst those on the list. There's a chance that most haven't played it. 

On 6/2/2022 at 4:20 AM, Boblee said:

Not a single vote for Bravely default. Is the game that bad? There's only one way to find out and it's reviews. I'm looking into it and if it's any good, I might give it a run. 

I think most of us don't have a clue what it is exactly (including myself). I think it's the first I've ever heard of it...

11 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I think most of us don't have a clue what it is exactly (including myself). I think it's the first I've ever heard of it...

Its a Jrpg made by Square enix, suposedly is the best jrpg on the 3ds and many fans praise it for being a return of classic JRPGS (whatever that means) 

32 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Its a Jrpg made by Square enix, suposedly is the best jrpg on the 3ds and many fans praise it for being a return of classic JRPGS (whatever that means) 

JRPGs are generally not as popular with most western gamers so maybe that's why most of us wouldn't have heard about it. 

3 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

JRPGs are generally not as popular with most western gamers so maybe that's why most of us wouldn't have heard about it. 

I had heard of the game, but never played it. I do feel the need to disagree with the idea that JRPG's aren't popular in the west. Not because it's a false claim, on the contrary it could be true, but because the companies that make these games need to know we like them over here. And also that we like them as they are, without the dunning down that has happend to western ports of JRPG's in the past.

1 hour ago, Shagger said:

I had heard of the game, but never played it. I do feel the need to disagree with the idea that JRPG's aren't popular in the west. Not because it's a false claim, on the contrary it could be true, but because the companies that make these games need to know we like them over here. And also that we like them as they are, without the dunning down that has happend to western ports of JRPG's in the past.

I could be biased as I'm a huge fan of the genre, but I feel that they're popular enough. I can't vouch for PAL regions, but in North America, we get a ton of them. We get all of the major franchises, and most of the a lot of the B and C tier games come out here (the tiers have to do with the size/budget of the company). Companies like Atlus, X-Seed, and NIS have those. So there's a significantly shorter list of ones that we don't get, as opposed to ones we do get. Contrast that to the SNES days when entries from massive franchises got passed over.

If you look at the consoles from Japanese companies (Nintendo and Sony), there's no shortage of the genre here.

They don't dumb down the games anymore like the SNES days (see how many changes FF4 got when it got released as FF2 here). What we do get, is games getting censored for sexual stuff. It's primarily censorship based on the clothing and stuff involving either female characters of questionable age, or are blatantly underaged. You can come to your own opinions on that aspect. There are examples of them censoring other sexual stuff, but I see a lot of it involving the appearance of female characters that are of questionable age, or are blatantly underraged. It's weird seeing people boycotting Xenoblade Chronicles X because they can't have their 13 year old character wear a skimpy outfit.

Edited by Grungie

50 minutes ago, Grungie said:

I could be biased as I'm a huge fan of the genre, but I feel that they're popular enough. I can't vouch for PAL regions, but in North America, we get a ton of them. We get all of the major franchises, and most of the a lot of the B and C tier games come out here (the tiers have to do with the size/budget of the company). Companies like Atlus, X-Seed, and NIS have those. So there's a significantly shorter list of ones that we don't get, as opposed to ones we do get. Contrast that to the SNES days when entries from massive franchises got passed over.

If you look at the consoles from Japanese companies (Nintendo and Sony), there's no shortage of the genre here.

They don't dumb down the games anymore like the SNES days (see how many changes FF4 got when it got released as FF2 here). What we do get, is games getting censored for sexual stuff. It's primarily censorship based on the clothing and stuff involving either female characters of questionable age, or are blatantly underaged. You can come to your own opinions on that aspect. There are examples of them censoring other sexual stuff, but I see a lot of it involving the appearance of female characters that are of questionable age, or are blatantly underraged. It's weird seeing people boycotting Xenoblade Chronicles X because they can't have their 13 year old character wear a skimpy outfit.

I know that the laws regarding sexual consent, content and exposure in Japan are complicated, but that's not what this is about. I can also see that in you that I am talking to someone who knows thier shit, so I'll get right to the point.

Japan "dumbing down" JRPG's for the western market isn't something that happens anymore, but it has happened more recently than FF4. Final Fantasy XII was released in the west with it's rubbish levelling system made for the west in 2006. It was 11 years before we got the good version, the "International Zodiac Job System" version, when they released "The Zodiac Age" in 2017. That was only 5 years ago, so I'm not giving them the benefit of any doubt.

Edited by Shagger

8 minutes ago, Shagger said:

I know that the laws regarding sexual consent, content and exposure in Japan are complicated, but that's not what this is about. I can also see that in you that I am talking to someone who knows thier shit, so I'll get right to the point.

Japan "dumbing down" JRPG's for the western market isn't something that happens anymore, but it has happened more recently than FF4. Final Fantasy XII was released in the west with it's rubbish levelling system made for the west in 2006. It was 11 years before we got the good version, the "International Zodiac Job System" version, when they released "The Zodiac Age" in 2017. That was only 5 years ago, so I'm not giving them the benefit of any doubt.

I wasn’t saying FF4 was the most recent example, that was just an example.

You’re mixing things up with FF12. That wasn’t made for the west, it was just the only version released in the west. The International version was one that we didn’t get.

See this page:

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XII_version_differences

So Japan got the same version of FF12 that we got, it’s just that they also got the “International” re-release that ironically never left Japan.

iirc, the only Final Fantasy game that was made for the West was FF Mystic Quest.

Edited by Grungie

4 hours ago, harleyqbx said:

There are no wrong choices in the original poll. Though, I'm kind of in a Golden Sun mood. Particularly the soundtrack.

I never got the opportunity to play Golden Sun . What's the gameplay like and what makes it unique for you? 

Combat is pretty traditionally turn-based, and the plot is ok. But, I really like the Djinn system and the soundtrack. Your characters have different element alignments, and can harness Psynergy, a magic that can not only benefit you in-battle, but outside too. You can use it to solve puzzles thrown your way. Psynergy is linked to creatures called Djinn. When you equip different Djinn, your ability set can completely change. You can try different combinations to beef up your stats or open up new spells. Some of the summons are pretty badass for that era of game.

Sadly I didn't play any of those games, but they are something I would like to check out. 

I don't play much of the genre, but I did like that southpark the stick of truth. I believe that's turn based. I haven't played the sequel yet though. That might be a good one to check out as well. 

I've honestly not been able to play much in the past month, actually I havent even touched my ps4 in about two weeks, Im really behind on my list but I will try to play more during the upcoming week and finally finish FF6 if im correct Im probably already half way through.

On 6/28/2022 at 7:51 PM, harleyqbx said:

Golden Sun

Heard about it, seen a few play through videos but never really considered playing it myself ( this is becoming a trait of mine , I find a game I am interested in , read about it , watch a lot of videos and I don't purchase it afterwards)

On 7/3/2022 at 9:59 AM, harleyqbx said:

Combat is pretty traditionally turn-based, and the plot is ok. But, I really like the Djinn system and the soundtrack. Your characters have different element alignments, and can harness Psynergy, a magic that can not only benefit you in-battle, but outside too. You can use it to solve puzzles thrown your way. Psynergy is linked to creatures called Djinn. When you equip different Djinn, your ability set can completely change. You can try different combinations to beef up your stats or open up new spells. Some of the summons are pretty badass for that era of game.

An interesting overview, i like the puzzles and mystery, the game is a decent rpg though not on the OP poll but a worthy recommendation.