Register Now
CastletonSnob

Will Esports ever be as popular as regular sports?

Do you think Esports will ever become as popular as football, basketball or baseball? Will the finals of say, an Overwatch tournament be viewed by as many people as the Super Bowl? Will people at work gather around the water cooler, talking about last night's League of Legends match?

Fantastic topic, eSports is growing gradually, everything won't just work out over night, but definitely it will reach stardom, and more and more people will start paying attention to the virtual sports events. 

It depends on what games you pick and what traditional sports you choose. But compared to the average olympic sport the bigger esports already are in terms of viewers. The average viewercount for ESL New York, an average CSGO tournament, was 165k while its peak was at 423k. Worlds 2018, the world championship of League of Legends, had an average viewercount of 651k and peaked at 2m (and it is like 13 times that with Chinese viewers). Thats data from viewingplatforms like YouTube, Twitch and Facebook. Esports is on the rise and frankly i'm suprised the Olympic Commity is not looking more into it with their ambition to draw younger crowds.

6 hours ago, Empire said:

It depends on what games you pick and what traditional sports you choose. But compared to the average olympic sport the bigger esports already are in terms of viewers. The average viewercount for ESL New York, an average CSGO tournament, was 165k while its peak was at 423k. Worlds 2018, the world championship of League of Legends, had an average viewercount of 651k and peaked at 2m (and it is like 13 times that with Chinese viewers). Thats data from viewingplatforms like YouTube, Twitch and Facebook. Esports is on the rise and frankly i'm suprised the Olympic Commity is not looking more into it with their ambition to draw younger crowds.

I certainly believe that with time esports is going to get to the ranks of live viewing sports like basketball , soccer and the likes. Many people are becoming interested in it and many YouTubers are racking views uploading contents relating to esports.

On 5/30/2022 at 6:49 PM, Clasher said:

I certainly believe that with time esports is going to get to the ranks of live viewing sports like basketball , soccer and the likes. Many people are becoming interested in it and many YouTubers are racking views uploading contents relating to esports.

Like anything else, there is far more money involved that they would go into it, got to be a high end expert and gamer to get those ranking. But money is high at the moment. 

I would like it to get to the same level with football, basketball or baseball and even cricket. Cricket is a very big sport and I keep wondering why some people kick it aside? If Esports can get to the level of Cricket, it's going to be a big project to reckon with. 

35 minutes ago, Dannyjax said:

I would like it to get to the same level with football, basketball or baseball and even cricket. Cricket is a very big sport and I keep wondering why some people kick it aside? If Esports can get to the level of Cricket, it's going to be a big project to reckon with. 

And at my age right now, I find it very difficult to understand Cricket and I'm very sure that I'm not the only one who's passing through this challenge with the sports. It's probably why it's not that popular like football. 

4 hours ago, Empire said:

Like anything else, there is far more money involved that they would go into it, got to be a high end expert and gamer to get those ranking. But money is high at the moment. 

If you are planning on using YouTube platform to share your gaming videos there is a high tendency that you could get views and YouTube has its monetization features and you earn per every view you get on your contents. Gaming is a good nitche, esports is also a well sort out content online so any one could actually make contents related to these get views and monetize it via YouTube.

3 minutes ago, NightmareFarm said:

I strongly doubt that will happen. Sports are in a whole different league when it comes to popularity. 

Sports is also really popular around the world and I think people are now even more interested in virtual sports gaming as much as they do with reality sports. I'm giving this review based on how people around my region are relating to virtual sports I don't know about yours though.

6 hours ago, Clasher said:

Sports is also really popular around the world and I think people are now even more interested in virtual sports gaming as much as they do with reality sports. I'm giving this review based on how people around my region are relating to virtual sports I don't know about yours though.

Here in england, they are nowhere near as popular and it's only zoomers I hear talking about virtual sports rarely.