Register Now
Maxi

At what stage would you consider it an addiction?

Most of us started playing video games as a hobby which is very common with all of us.

Some started and used it a way of disconnecting from the real world and enter into the fantasy world.

While started playing and turned it into their professional career and even make enough money through it.

Along the line of gaming, we all get to the point where we get hooked up so bad that it might even be bad for our health.

I'm throwing it out in the open right now to know the level you think it would get before you consider it being an addiction and it needs to be corrected sooner than later?

If you have never been addicted to anything before, it's going to be very difficult for you to answer this question accurately with the way I'm seeing it. I have been addicted to smoking once and I know exactly what it feels like to be suffering from an addiction. It would feel like your life is getting cut off from you when you don't have that which you have an addiction for. It took me over 2 years to get clean from smoking addiction. For me to call it an addiction in gaming, it would get to the point where any other things doesn't matter to me anymore apart from playing games. If that happens, then I'm absolutely addicted to gaming. 

Addiction is a big word to use, just when is somebody addicted to gaming? To me if it's start taking a toll on your personal life and you start neglecting crucial  and important things in life like work, school, daily/weekly chores and social life activities in favour to just play games. Then i'd say it's time to start thinking wheter or not you have an addiction even if you don't the people around you who care about you will mostlikely point it out for you that you have an addiction.

As for myself i never saw the problem in drinking a couple of beers every day after work, while playing some games or having a chat with friends at a bar. You know it's the most normal thing to do, alcohol is everywhere, hell you are allowed to drink alcohol when you're 16 over here.

During covid i had no problem with drinking 2 bottles of wine whenever i diden't have to go to work the day after, it made me feel at peace and relaxed. I never saw the problem in that and as far as i know it diden't affect my life at all, well that was until some people started pointing out my alcohol usage. I've realised i was going downhill and started cutting back the booze and you know after a while i realised it did affect my social life more then i tought at first as i've started dating again for the first time in quite a while and you know my confidence got a boost and overall i feel more healthy aswell.

If you hold your pee for more than 20 minutes just because you cannot miss the fun, it is an addiction. Addiction is not only about your game time, it is about your urge to continue playing.

There are times when I've had to fight off addiction because I'd rather play something than go to the toilet, eat or drink (I also put that down to ADD), maintain eye health, or talking to my partner over Facebook. The lattermost is the one thing that stops me from fully embracing the addiction: 6PM is the cut-off time on certain days of the week because that's when we have our catch-ups.

There are times when it seemed like addiction when really there was just a void that needed to be filled. I missed almost an entire year of college to stay at home and play World of Warcraft, not because the game was addictive per se, but because I deemed grinding Mists of Pandaria content a better use of my time (and considering I got the qualifications anyway, it was). If it weren't WoW, it'd be something else.

But then a void needing to be filled would be considered an addiction: I'm obese because I eat when I'm bored, others eat when they're sad. As Dr. Phil Hammond once said, a psychological hole needs to be filled, but it needs to be replaced with something healthier. In the case of video games, I replaced it with reading, comics, going for walks and attending a gym.

One final thing to note is that admitting you have an addiction is the first step to recovery. It is not the only step. If you feel you're addicted, ready yourself for help and seek it from professionals. Sometimes someone close by is good enough. I'll point out now as I've been DM'd about personal things in the past, I am not qualified to help.

Since I never earned from video game as a career choice I wouldn't call it an addiction yet. I know I've tried earning from testing, but didn't go as planned, maybe when my gaming room becomes catchy for me, I can decide streaming via YouTube. 

2 hours ago, Jasmin said:

If you hold your pee for more than 20 minutes just because you cannot miss the fun, it is an addiction. Addiction is not only about your game time, it is about your urge to continue playing.

Me thinking about the holding pee scenerio 😂 and I'm like really? It's a funny thing though because I do hold my pee in some situations where it's even the game pressure that causes the sudden urge to use the rest room. 

I think it is possible but you have to go at least a year without any gaming to be able to come back to it casually in my experience. I was able to go back to casual gaming after a year off but I'm only able to play certain games that don't trigger my addiction as much.

13 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Since I never earned from video game as a career choice I wouldn't call it an addiction yet. I know I've tried earning from testing, but didn't go as planned, maybe when my gaming room becomes catchy for me, I can decide streaming via YouTube. 

Game testing is a very boring task. If it's the only job available in the gaming industry, I'd rather not strain myself over it. 

2 minutes ago, Dannyjax said:

Game testing is a very boring task. If it's the only job available in the gaming industry, I'd rather not strain myself over it. 

I know it's stressing, and again, the pay rate isn't that high. But instead of earning nothing, you start from somewhere until you gradually move up. 

1 hour ago, Head_Hunter said:

Impressive video you posted @Heatman, with lots of positives to take from it. I think the parents neglected their son to become so aggressive. Because, at that age, they should control their child's behavioral pattern around video games and any other things that seems addictive or abnormal. 

I have the same feeling as well when it comes to the kid's parents being the one that failed him. They were the one that purchased all the gaming set he's got. They failed to regulate what he plays. I wouldn't do that to my kid. 

A lot of people associate addiction as the time spend on game, but for me it is not the time spent, it is the urge, for example, you don't want to go to sleep even it is 2 AM, it is surely an addiction.