Register Now
Dannyjax

Who should gaming companies be suing?

Cheating by gamers is something that's been a very serious problem for years and there seems to be no lasting solution to the problem till date. Cheaters always find a way to have unfair advantage over their opponents with cheating tools they are able to have access to. Gaming companies have resorted to banning any accounts found of cheating but that doesn't seem to solve the problem because they still find a way to still get back into the game with another account. There are companies and websites where most of these cheaters gets the tools to perfect their cheats, do you think gaming companies should be suing these entities and not just rely on banning accounts or suing gamers like the case of the 14 year old Delaware boy cheater in Fortnite and Epic Games? 

Gaming companies themselves should be sued for giving such subpar experiences for the amount of money they charge. Also, they should be taken to court for their exploitative practices. That being said, suing companies that provide cheating tools for online games would be a good step as it'd most certainly stop most companies from doing business with gamers.

I think you'd have to ask the people who choose not to sue "why" for a direct answer. But it basically comes down to money. If there's enough money, like Microsoft Elite 2 or Cyberpunk then stuff is put into place to make the buyer whole. If it's something like an app, there isn't enough money. App games are mostly free and rely on advertmenets so we could guess there isn't enough time, resources, or potential award money to warrant the effort.

I could be wrong but I don't really think gaming publishers and/or developers have any grounds to sue cheaters in most circumstances.  They would have prove that have taken direct damage financially or to their reputation in order to have a case.  Of the top of my head the circumstance I can think of is a pro-player cheating at an even that they directly endorsed or sponsored.

Most individuals or players are completely anonymous. So, who do the gaming devs/publishers want to sue fir cheating? That's nothing, if the individual is using it to catch the fun while playing with their fellow cheat. 

On 5/24/2022 at 10:47 PM, killamch89 said:

Gaming companies themselves should be sued for giving such subpar experiences for the amount of money they charge. Also, they should be taken to court for their exploitative practices. That being said, suing companies that provide cheating tools for online games would be a good step as it'd most certainly stop most companies from doing business with gamers.

EA is on top my my list of such companies that should be sued for giving us whacks. They are greedy bastards 😡

Is there any real damage done for cheating? Does it take away money, tarnish their stock trade, damage reputation. We could easily say that toxic online play would allow the gaming company or publisher to sue players. That's not a route any of them would want to take and it's not even constitutional by USA standards for any developer or publisher in that country. But there is a growing trend where courts are deciding to let any and everyone get sued. That still doesn't mean lawsuits will be won. Still doesn't make it legal grounds to sue. But if people can get away with online harassment in gaming, and even groping others in VR, then there is no way anyone would ever get sued for cheating. Unless they hacked something to get free DLC. I do agree with others that have said that companies providing cheating tools may be sued. There might be an actual case there, only if the gaming company can show proof of direct relation to losing money from cheating. How are they even able to provide cheats? Shouldn't games have some kind of wall against that? Or even update games to add security that prevents cheating? I don't know how all that works. They just need better tools to weed out the cheaters. 

7 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Is there any real damage done for cheating? Does it take away money, tarnish their stock trade, damage reputation. We could easily say that toxic online play would allow the gaming company or publisher to sue players. That's not a route any of them would want to take and it's not even constitutional by USA standards for any developer or publisher in that country. But there is a growing trend where courts are deciding to let any and everyone get sued. That still doesn't mean lawsuits will be won. Still doesn't make it legal grounds to sue. But if people can get away with online harassment in gaming, and even groping others in VR, then there is no way anyone would ever get sued for cheating. Unless they hacked something to get free DLC. I do agree with others that have said that companies providing cheating tools may be sued. There might be an actual case there, only if the gaming company can show proof of direct relation to losing money from cheating. How are they even able to provide cheats? Shouldn't games have some kind of wall against that? Or even update games to add security that prevents cheating? I don't know how all that works. They just need better tools to weed out the cheaters. 

I do agree that it's unlikely a game publisher would have grounds nor would they bother suing cheaters, but cheating in games can definitely have a detrimental effect on a game's revenue, especially these days. Legitimate players, and they would make up the vast majority of players, wouldn't want to keep playing the game and thus wouldn't buy battle passes, microtransactions and all that other live service garbage. Then there's the reputation hit that could affect affect the success of future releases. So yes, cheating can affect a revenue quite badly.

12 hours ago, Shagger said:

I do agree that it's unlikely a game publisher would have grounds nor would they bother suing cheaters, but cheating in games can definitely have a detrimental effect on a game's revenue, especially these days. Legitimate players, and they would make up the vast majority of players, wouldn't want to keep playing the game and thus wouldn't buy battle passes, microtransactions and all that other live service garbage. Then there's the reputation hit that could affect affect the success of future releases. So yes, cheating can affect a revenue quite badly.

When it's crystal clear that no matter how you play with the cheaters in the system, there's no way you can have a level playing ground which begs the question why should you keep spending money on the game? It's not justified, so most gamers will pull out of the game. 

It's a known fact that gaming companies lose a lot of money to cheaters and hackers. In my opinion, anything that can be done in order to put an end to it is completely welcomed by me. If it's suing both parties, they should do it, if that's going to help. 

There is no way the developers can actually stop cheaters from using their platform again. Therefore, I believe that they should be tolerating these cheaters until developers rolls out features that solves this problem.

4 hours ago, Jasmin said:

There is no way the developers can actually stop cheaters from using their platform again. Therefore, I believe that they should be tolerating these cheaters until developers rolls out features that solves this problem.

I think that if it's something that can be done with developing a feature to put an end to them, they would have done it a very long time ago but it doesn't seem likely. 

With every passing year, games are becoming better than the previous games or previous versions, therefore, I believe in the future a feature that stops cheating or blocking cheaters will be possible. 

17 hours ago, Jasmin said:

It's why they are simply suing now but I'm not sure if that's ever going to be enough. They even had a teenager sued (Epic Games). I think they are over reaching.