Register Now
Dannyjax

Who should gaming companies be suing?

32 minutes ago, Clasher said:

Epic games just like to stay in the news, so they could device whatever strategy to spur controversy, be it in their games or with a court case by suing a teenager.

I don't think that's a very good business strategy working with a negative outcome to try and increase sales. Some gamers might feel targeted and stay away from the game - Fortnite. 

39 minutes ago, Clasher said:

Epic games just like to stay in the news, so they could device whatever strategy to spur controversy, be it in their games or with a court case by suing a teenager.

They say all press is good press, but that just isn't true. Sure, companied want to make an example out of cheaters and hackers, but they don't wasn't the bad press either. If they did there wold be new stories about this coming up literally every day, but the fact you are all talking about a case that settled well over a year ago is proof to me that this this is not what Epic and other companies want to do. Do we think Bungie wanted someone to file numerous false copyright strikes on Destiny 2 content just so Bungie could sue them? No, obviously not. I hate to side with cooperate here, but let's be honest, most of these are justified. Harsh and extreme in thier measure, but justified none the less.

36 minutes ago, Shagger said:

They say all press is good press, but that just isn't true. Sure, companied want to make an example out of cheaters and hackers, but they don't wasn't the bad press either. If they did there wold be new stories about this coming up literally every day, but the fact you are all talking about a case that settled well over a year ago is proof to me that this this is not what Epic and other companies want to do. Do we think Bungie wanted someone to file numerous false copyright strikes on Destiny 2 content just so Bungie could sue them? No, obviously not. I hate to side with cooperate here, but let's be honest, most of these are justified. Harsh and extreme in thier measure, but justified none the less.

Your points are valid, well it wouldn't be a bad idea if a cooperate body takes advantage of a situation that was meant to ruin them and turn it around in their favour. A lot of individuals this days are clout chasers calling out a celebrity or a firm so that they could trend online. If a cooperate firm like epic games decides not to sweep such occurences under the carpet and take legal action against it then it is justifiable.

If a game is being abused by people using cheat tools or things to alter said game, then I believe studios have a case against them. There are many who cheat in games, and often get away with it. I doubt cheaters themselves will be sued, instead it will be the companies making these tools to cheat who will be sued if anything. A couple a cheaters is one thing, but when you make a tool to make that a reality, it could result in those companies losing out. 

As well, you have to consider that these cheat mods (if used for online play) tarnish the game and can potentially take money out of the pockets of these studios. People leaving because of hacking/cheaters is another. No one wants to stick around a game that's a hacked/cheated mess, so that studio could lose out on potential sales as well. 

17 hours ago, Kane99 said:

If a game is being abused by people using cheat tools or things to alter said game, then I believe studios have a case against them. There are many who cheat in games, and often get away with it. I doubt cheaters themselves will be sued, instead it will be the companies making these tools to cheat who will be sued if anything. A couple a cheaters is one thing, but when you make a tool to make that a reality, it could result in those companies losing out. 

As well, you have to consider that these cheat mods (if used for online play) tarnish the game and can potentially take money out of the pockets of these studios. People leaving because of hacking/cheaters is another. No one wants to stick around a game that's a hacked/cheated mess, so that studio could lose out on potential sales as well. 

Going after the companies that are making the cheat codes and tools would be the final nail in the coffin if these gaming companies want to put an end to all the problems. When they have done that, it's going to be very easy to clamp down on those still using the codes they have. 

4 hours ago, Dannyjax said:

Going after the companies that are making the cheat codes and tools would be the final nail in the coffin if these gaming companies want to put an end to all the problems. When they have done that, it's going to be very easy to clamp down on those still using the codes they have. 

I'm only referring to ones that abuse the game rather than add to it. Ones that use wall hacks, and god powers in online multiplayer games. I don't care if you mod, cheat or hack a base single player game, because you're not bothering anyone in the process. 

But, it also comes down to if these tools are being sold to people, which is another problem. Those companies could be sued for providing such ways to hack games. I'm all for save cheating/hacking of single player games, but when it results in ruining the experience for others, I think it's good to stop it. 

4 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I'm only referring to ones that abuse the game rather than add to it. Ones that use wall hacks, and god powers in online multiplayer games. I don't care if you mod, cheat or hack a base single player game, because you're not bothering anyone in the process. 

But, it also comes down to if these tools are being sold to people, which is another problem. Those companies could be sued for providing such ways to hack games. I'm all for save cheating/hacking of single player games, but when it results in ruining the experience for others, I think it's good to stop it. 

Seriously, it sucks when the experience you are supposed to get from playing a game is ruined by the actions of hackers and cheats in the game. You simply just wasted your money on a have you can't play fair in and enjoy. 

1 hour ago, Heatman said:

Seriously, it sucks when the experience you are supposed to get from playing a game is ruined by the actions of hackers and cheats in the game. You simply just wasted your money on a have you can't play fair in and enjoy. 

This is why a lot of gamers that are not into cheating and hacks are vehemently against those that do it because they mess up their game playing experience and even their money spent on the games. It's not really worth it. 

Also, I hate that fan games are something companies have sued over. I mean, the majority of fan made games aren't released for money to my knowledge. Yeah I can see some points where they are still using that copyrighted material, but I think it's odd to sue them for money. Like, shut it down and end it there, but suing some game maker for their fan made game is weird to me. 

I know there's legalities there, but if they're not selling it, I don't agree with suing. I agree with cease and desist's happening, but suing nah. 

22 hours ago, Dannyjax said:

The issue with doing this is that these companies have always eluded investigations from gaming companies they sell their game's codes and hacks to give those with access to it a better advantage. 

7 hours ago, Aniekwe said:

The issue with doing this is that these companies have always eluded investigations from gaming companies they sell their game's codes and hacks to give those with access to it a better advantage. 

The thing with cheat codes though, is that they are usually provided by the developers/publishers and are a secret or part of the game. I don't know if I'd call it cheat codes if someone else is hacking/cheating the games code to their advantage. If anything it's just hacking. 

Now, when people go out of their way to abuse a game by cheating and hacking to make it worse for others, than I see that as more than cheating. Especially if it's done to an online game mode. 

20 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Also, I hate that fan games are something companies have sued over. I mean, the majority of fan made games aren't released for money to my knowledge. Yeah I can see some points where they are still using that copyrighted material, but I think it's odd to sue them for money. Like, shut it down and end it there, but suing some game maker for their fan made game is weird to me. 

I know there's legalities there, but if they're not selling it, I don't agree with suing. I agree with cease and desist's happening, but suing nah. 

I don't either but we've seen Nintendo do this a number of times - they either shut down the fan-made game or threaten to sue. As a matter of fact, Nintendo is the only company that I remember in recent history that consistently does this.

On 6/29/2022 at 1:32 AM, Aniekwe said:

This is why a lot of gamers that are not into cheating and hacks are vehemently against those that do it because they mess up their game playing experience and even their money spent on the games. It's not really worth it. 

No gamer enjoys playing against a cheater especially when it's online. It's going to be total waste of time because no matter what you play, it's never going to be a fair match. You will lose most of the time. 

On 6/28/2022 at 7:28 PM, Kane99 said:

That's very understandable when you're doing it in a way that it's not affecting other gamers, no one would make noise over it. But in a situation where you do the hacks online in ways it makes it impossible for others to have level playing ground against you, it's not acceptable. 

On 6/29/2022 at 10:22 PM, killamch89 said:

I don't either but we've seen Nintendo do this a number of times - they either shut down the fan-made game or threaten to sue. As a matter of fact, Nintendo is the only company that I remember in recent history that consistently does this.

Nintendo is very cautious of their brand and I think that's why they always approach such issues in that manner. It works as a way for them to deter gamers from getting into such acts.