Register Now
Clasher

Would you take up video Gaming as a professional job?

I've been a professional as a games journalist, but it comes with a lot of risk of burnout (here's one of my earliest and best write-ups on this forum on the subject). To stream for a living, no, I couldn't do it. I lack the wit, charisma and energy to pull off the amount of hours of smiling and joking required to keep people's attention for money. To test games, I'd have to be paid considerably more than the going rate to put up with some of the horror stories QA tells about the developers they work with.

I might well give them a go one day, but I'm a mundane person who prefers mundane work. Then again even spinning and crouching on every conceivable pixel is a bit too boring for me.

I might give testing a try again, the last time I tried it the earning rate was low, and the task requirement is high, you work for hours just to earn few dollars for work that requires thorough review and testing of game performance. 

12 hours ago, Boblee said:

I'm very sure that anything from $5000 on monthly basis would be a very good pay for me. I'd take the offer without any delay. 

If the work is satisfying for you at that amount of money, I think that it's something good. You get to have fun while you're able to make good amount of money. 

9 hours ago, Heatman said:

If the work is satisfying for you at that amount of money, I think that it's something good. You get to have fun while you're able to make good amount of money. 

The money will go a very long way in taking care of lots of money problems that needs to be sorted out in my life 😂 

12 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

I've been a professional as a games journalist, but it comes with a lot of risk of burnout (here's one of my earliest and best write-ups on this forum on the subject). To stream for a living, no, I couldn't do it. I lack the wit, charisma and energy to pull off the amount of hours of smiling and joking required to keep people's attention for money. To test games, I'd have to be paid considerably more than the going rate to put up with some of the horror stories QA tells about the developers they work with.

I might well give them a go one day, but I'm a mundane person who prefers mundane work. Then again even spinning and crouching on every conceivable pixel is a bit too boring for me.

I actually read your write up about earning through video games and what you said about the time given to reviewers to make a review about a game. 

In my honest opinion I feel every job comes with it's own perks and it's not much easier working as an accountant than a teacher or working as an engineer than a farmer. If you are taking up jobs working as a tester or reviewer or any game related job you must have gotten an idea about how the industry operates and you wouldn't take a job blindly if you are not sure you can do it and meet up with the time given you.

On 6/4/2022 at 9:43 AM, Justin11 said:

I might give testing a try again, the last time I tried it the earning rate was low, and the task requirement is high, you work for hours just to earn few dollars for work that requires thorough review and testing of game performance. 

What was the pay rate you had when you took on the job in the past? Was the pay that bad? 

10 hours ago, Dannyjax said:

I have only had the intention of making money from playing in game's tournaments but I haven't considered taking it up as a full time professional job yet. 

Tournaments are more like side hustle and can't be considered a gaming professional job. I'd get into gaming tournaments if I have the time to participate actively in it. 

On 6/5/2022 at 8:53 PM, Boblee said:

What was the pay rate you had when you took on the job in the past? Was the pay that bad? 

The rate is bad to me, because the job is so demanding bro. It was 10$ back then to review a mobile game, in which the dev needs people's opinion, to understand where he/she did wrong and improve on it. You'll review the game, write your clean observation of your review, then an administrator will go through your review before paying you. 

12 hours ago, Heatman said:

Tournaments are more like side hustle and can't be considered a gaming professional job. I'd get into gaming tournaments if I have the time to participate actively in it. 

For a tournament where a winner can get up to $5000, it's definitely seen as professional job in my eyes because most jobs don't pay such amount of money. 

17 hours ago, Justin11 said:

The rate is bad to me, because the job is so demanding bro. It was 10$ back then to review a mobile game, in which the dev needs people's opinion, to understand where he/she did wrong and improve on it. You'll review the game, write your clean observation of your review, then an administrator will go through your review before paying you. 

$10 for that kind of stress? I'm definitely going to pass on that opportunity. There are far more other good opportunities out that would pay me better for that kind of stress. 

1 hour ago, Boblee said:

$10 for that kind of stress? I'm definitely going to pass on that opportunity. There are far more other good opportunities out that would pay me better for that kind of stress. 

Even just to write an article on Fiverr pays better than the miserly $10 they pay him for the job. I would never subject myself to that kind of suffering. 

17 hours ago, Boblee said:

The stress doesn't all that worth it. Just that, I was familiar with the kind of assignment they asked for, but the price they offered is poor. And again the task doesn't come consecutively, it could've pushed me to do 2 or more of the tasks to earn at least $30 daily doing it. Since it wouldn't cost me more than 4-6 hours of my time daily. 

6 hours ago, Justin11 said:

The stress doesn't all that worth it. Just that, I was familiar with the kind of assignment they asked for, but the price they offered is poor. And again the task doesn't come consecutively, it could've pushed me to do 2 or more of the tasks to earn at least $30 daily doing it. Since it wouldn't cost me more than 4-6 hours of my time daily. 

If it's something you are already familiar with and you got passion it wouldn't be as stressful though. The pay doesn't sound good compared to the time you put into it, but if it's something you could handle then you could have taken the offer in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Clasher said:

If it's something you are already familiar with and you got passion it wouldn't be as stressful though. The pay doesn't sound good compared to the time you put into it, but if it's something you could handle then you could have taken the offer in my opinion.

I know the pay rate is far from being nice compared to the demands from the job. But, had it been i got surplus tasks to execute daily, I wouldn't have abandoned it. Maybe by now I could've raised reasonable amount of money for my own business online and offline as a mobile game tester.