Register Now
The Blackangel

Are certain games better in online play, or story mode?

Most of the open world games offer both these days. But I'm curious about what everyone thinks of those that do. You all know I hate online gaming. I just flat out do not enjoy it. But for some of the hot button items, which do you think is better? Games that I'm aiming at are things like RDR2, Skyrim, Witcher 3, and the like. At least I think Skyrim and Witcher have online capabilities. Correct me if I'm wrong. @Rain Dew got me to try FFXIV again recently, and while it's a decent game, I still hate online gaming. For me, I like to play my game, and not have to deal with a bunch of assholes I don't even know. I want to enjoy my gaming experience instead of feeling like it's a chore. Which is one of the things I feel about online gaming. It's more of a chore than an enjoyable experience. Then there's all those time sensitive add-ons that you have a short window to get. If you don't log on, you never have the chance again. And lastly, is the monthly fee to play online. Fuck that. I bought the game to play it, not to have to continue to pay for it after I bought it. That just flat out doesn't make a god damn bit of sense.

So what are your pros and cons of each? Which do you prefer? Why do you prefer it?

There is no online mode for Skyrim or The Witcher 3.

It really depends on the game , for example back in the days of the Xbox 360 I was really into Halo 3 and Gears of War 3 multiplayer, but both games have a robust story mode and a good franchise to back it up (we can argue that some installments were better than others) but overall you could pick both games and enjoy either aspect of it whether it was the single player campaign or the muliplayer online. Same thing goes for a lot of other games like Borderlands 2 and at one point some COD games like Modernwarfare 1&2 or Blackops. But nowadays there is no balance, developers will mainly focus in one aspect of the game, Call of Duty is a perfect example with multiplayer being the main focus of the game and the single player campaign becomes more like a tutorial, or some times they dont have a story mode at all. Another good example was the Last of Us or Uncharted series, both excellent narrative games, but did you know that they have a multiplayer mode ? well they are okay but not exactly the best part of the game.

I'm not a big fan of online gaming either and I don't feel it's necessary to pay subscription for it. I considered once to play GTA 5 online on free multiplayer weekend to try out, then Rockstar when and did an update right when it started so they crushed my opportunity to try. I am perfectly happy with games that have free play mode where you can do whatever you want with no consequences. GTA 5 has the director's cut mode to go out and just cause mayhem as single player. Why do I need a friend for that, especially when AI is that good. I've played multiplayer in VR and it is fun at first. It's new and different. But it does get a bit physically draining and I find more satisfaction in story mode. 

I hardly get into playing online games because I'm more than happy to play by myself only. I haven't had the best experience with online games and it's why I prefer playing in games with free play mode. 

22 hours ago, kingpotato said:

There is no online mode for Skyrim or The Witcher 3.

Thanks for that. Considering that they're two of the biggest titles out right now, I just assumed. Well I actually kinda expected Skyrim to have an online option, but just wasn't sure at all with Witcher 3. Neither of the games ever truly got their hooks into me, despite multiple tries. But I do plan on playing them again and try getting further into the story. RDR2 didn't get its hooks into me in the first chapter either, and everyone knows now ho much I love the game.

I never felt good with what Rockstar did with Red Dead Online for some obvious reasons. The economy was horrible in the game where it's very difficult to make money that's very necessary for you to play the game. The controls where were horrible and most towns in the game looks like Ghost town. 

14 hours ago, Dannyjax said:

I never felt good with what Rockstar did with Red Dead Online for some obvious reasons. The economy was horrible in the game where it's very difficult to make money that's very necessary for you to play the game. The controls where were horrible and most towns in the game looks like Ghost town. 

I was thinking that the game would be as good as Red Dead Redemption 2 but after reading few reviews on it, I found out that it wasn't anywhere near it. 

13 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Rockstar did amazingly, bit you wouldn't make money from it by competing with fellow gamers online while sitting in your house. You can make money from playing it if you're a streamer or eSports player. 

This has nothing to do with the conversation. The conversation is about playing online or in story mode. It is not about making money to pay your bills.

18 hours ago, Dannyjax said:

I never felt good with what Rockstar did with Red Dead Online for some obvious reasons. The economy was horrible IN THE GAME where it's very difficult to make money that's very necessary for you to play the game. The controls where were horrible and most towns in the game looks like Ghost town. 

You are still continuing to not read posts prior to making a reply. If you had read what @Dannyjax said, there would be no issue. This has gotten more than old, and I for one have had it. Your careless posting is obviously nothing more than an attempt to have more posts than anyone and to rack up points. If you would take 2 minutes to READ THE DAMN THREAD this problem would not be an issue. I will be speaking to the rest of the staff about this, and we will see if further actions are needed.

Edited by The Blackangel

Well to go back to the topic, i don't do multiplayer. I'm not going to say multiplayer sucks because it's something i know little to nothing of people can enjoy what they want. As previously mentioned by @The Blackangel i also like to play my games in peace and i don't need to have people raging to me because they lost or i'm the weakest link in their team it's just doesen't appeal to me.

Like i don't have a problem with multiplayer being integrated in an otherwise mostly singleplayer game, IF the single player campaign doesen't fall victim because of it and that is mostly the case because with the time and effort designing the multiplayer, that same effort could have gone into a better campaign imo. You have to ask yourself do games like mass effect, ghost of tsushima, uncharted and the last of us really need a multiplayer mode, i haven't played them obviously but i'll take @kingpotato word for it and say that the efforts it toke for building the multiplayer were better off used elsewhere.

Another problem i have multiplayer based games, they are temporarily experiences, like enjoy it while you can because it may be gone tommorow. I'm not going to dive deep into this because i've mentioned this quite a few times in other threads already. You'll probably be safe with fortnite for the foreseeable future but let's say something like the first destiny or the first the crew game, i don't know how well these are still doing but give and take another couple of years and those may be gone forever. A singleplayer game for aslong i have working hardware i can still play it, hell i still use my childhood sega megadrive every now and then.

Something that pisses me off even more is singleplayer based games that are unplayable offline, like why? Why do i need to connect to a fucking server to play a damn single player game, if anybody can give me a solid answer to this please do.

I do have a xbox live subscription, that i meanly keep it around for the "free" games since i don't buy digital games it's a good way for me to download some games for free that i would have never experienced otherwise. I know the quality isen't always great but you know. 

I'll end the rant here, to give a much shorter answer for all i care developers can shove their multiplayer shit up their ass. If you made it this far enjoy the weekend and have a good one.

22 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Thanks for that. Considering that they're two of the biggest titles out right now, I just assumed. Well I actually kinda expected Skyrim to have an online option, but just wasn't sure at all with Witcher 3. Neither of the games ever truly got their hooks into me, despite multiple tries. But I do plan on playing them again and try getting further into the story. RDR2 didn't get its hooks into me in the first chapter either, and everyone knows now ho much I love the game.

Sorry Im actually wrong in part, Elder Scrolls V Skyrim doesnt have online mode, but there is a separate game Elder Scrolls online, the game play is similar but a whole different experience. You should give it a shot to Witcher 3 again, this game has one of the best stories out there and some really weird and dark sidequests.

16 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Rockstar did amazingly, bit you wouldn't make money from it by competing with fellow gamers online while sitting in your house. You can make money from playing it if you're a streamer or eSports player. 

Brother, there's no harm in skipping a topic you have absolutely nothing valuable to contribute in it.

There are thousands of content where I'm very sure you can chip in something meaningful because this your comment here is a complete trash to the topic at hand. Would you please stop selling yourself short? 

3 minutes ago, Dannyjax said:

Brother, there's no harm in skipping a topic you have absolutely nothing valuable to contribute in it.

There are thousands of content where I'm very sure you can chip in something meaningful because this your comment here is a complete trash to the topic at hand. Would you please stop selling yourself short? 

You don't have the right to condemn my post mate, I chipped in because, I was thinking you're talking about making real money while playing Red Dead online. Because I read through your last comment and dropped my own comment. We are learning everyday here, you aren't perfect, don't try to claim your know it all man, you don't have the right to call my post trash only the mods can do that or the admin of the forum okay.