Register Now
StaceyPowers

Remasters that were worse than the originals

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning

I did a review of thus dumpster fire on VGR, so I urge people to check that out first and read the whole thread to get the full story.

Suffice to say, it was tragic. The original game that run perfectly fine with issue I can recall and "remastered" into something at time barely worked. The didn't really look any better either, it just had better compatibility with higher resolution displays (the original has texture scaling issues that make the game very hard to play at anything higher than 1080p). The only real reason to even buy this version was the new Fatesworn DLC that was delayed and took well over a year to come out, and that was also busted. It was also after patches I was finally able to finish it. It was so bad it actually makes me feel ambivalent about the prospect of a sequel form this same studio and publisher. Yes, I'd love a follow up to Kingdoms of Amalur, but the thought of these incompetent pricks making it is a bad omen.

17 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

From what I understand, this is one of the things that made the recently flopped GTA Trilogy so bad. The remaster is just sickening from what I gather from everyone here who tried it.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not a GTA gamer, so I honestly don't know.

I regretted buying that game against the warnings of my friends not to; stating that it was too rushed to be good. I can't wait for their make up in GTA 6. 

10 hours ago, Aniekwe said:

I regretted buying that game against the warnings of my friends not to; stating that it was too rushed to be good. I can't wait for their make up in GTA 6. 

Did you take their compensation games for those that bought the game? 

I recall Silent Hill HD Collection on Playstation 2 being one of the earliest remasters to ever receive a poor reception, its biggest problem being that thanks to the PS2's higher rendering ability, the iconic fog had been removed, leaving streets clear as day. The general horrific atmosphere that comes part and parcel with Silent Hill was 'fixed' out of the game.

Similarly, whilst Ty the Tasmanian Tiger's remasters enjoy rave reviews on Steam, Krome Studios had polished up the world a bit too much. Assets such as treelines meant to hide the invisible walls are low quality; jagged at the top and can be seen over, revealing a jarring lack of detail in its skyboxes beyond. Assets are certainly tidied up, but they're still the same stretched out, recycled, setpieces of before. 'Janky' is a word that's vastly overused, but there is some charm to the remasters' jankiness.

Finally, and I don't know if these are considered remasters, remakes, reimaginings or reboots (and quite frankly, I don't intend to stick around to find out because that's not going to end well), but basically any of the Crash Bandicoot/Spyro rethingies beginning with the N. Sane Trilogy. They're very much like Marmite: you either love it or you hate it, except I love Marmite and have mostly dislike for anything Vicarious Visions has done since its days on the Game Boy Advance (like Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure or 2: N-Tranced, which are really good).

14 hours ago, Dannyjax said:

Did you take their compensation games for those that bought the game? 

Nope, I already have the games. There was no need getting them all over again. What would I do with it? Sell them? I don't have that kind of time. 

1. GTA trilogy (worse excuse of a remaster I've seen and for the price they were charging, it's absolute crap).
On 5/27/2022 at 2:39 PM, Withywarlock said:

I recall Silent Hill HD Collection on Playstation 2 being one of the earliest remasters to ever receive a poor reception, its biggest problem being that thanks to the PS2's higher rendering ability, the iconic fog had been removed, leaving streets clear as day. The general horrific atmosphere that comes part and parcel with Silent Hill was 'fixed' out of the game.

I remember the outrage surrounding this - I mean one week worth of IGN articles and daily updates they used to have on their TV channel.

On 5/26/2022 at 9:46 AM, NightmareFarm said:

Final Fantasy X. The character models look lifeless.

Finally someone who shares this same opinion with, I just feel final fantasy x would have been a much better game if the developers paid more attention to make it's characters more realistic instead of the lifeless looking figures in the game.

18 hours ago, Clasher said:

Finally someone who shares this same opinion with, I just feel final fantasy x would have been a much better game if the developers paid more attention to make it's characters more realistic instead of the lifeless looking figures in the game.

A friend of mine was actually saying that the game was rushed. It's why everything looked the way they did with the game and  I think that might be true. 

On 5/28/2022 at 10:59 AM, Aniekwe said:

Nope, I already have the games. There was no need getting them all over again. What would I do with it? Sell them? I don't have that kind of time. 

Yeah, it's something that you can actually sell but since you said you don't have the time, it's best to let it go and focus on better things to do.