Register Now
The Blackangel

Hotmail or Gmail? Which one do you prefer?

It seems to me that everyone these days is using gmail. I personally still use hotmail for almost all my email needs. Sure our gaming channel had to have a gmail address with it, so we signed up for one. But I find gmail confusing as hell, and hotmail is a lot simpler to me. Also, I have used hotmail ever since it was first implemented by Microsoft back in the 90's. But I'm curious what people think on these two email servers.

I have used a Hotmail account as my primary e-mail for at least 17 years and never felt the need to change it. I do usually use g-mail (at least the app) along with Outlook on my phone because it's sometimes necessary to have another e-mail client to access you email if you have opened a link up in n email into that e-mail client's bowser. Because I have both apps to access the same Hotmail account, there is some comparisons to be made and I'd say Outlook is cleaner to look at and it always refreshes and shows the latest's messages first, without fail. It can take g-mail as long as two full minutes to catch up. So, I'd have to say Hotmail/Outlook in better. The junk filter is usually pretty solid as well.

I use both, but damn the hotmail account that takes me back since it's still the one i made in computer class as part of an assignment. I think it was in 2001 orso, one of the very first times we were allowed to use internet in computer class, our teacher made us sign up for the school news letter aswell all pretty primitive stuff haha. I never really saw the point in changing it so i kept it around all these years, these days meanly for my xbox account and a few other smaller things and Offcourse how can i forget for msn messenger, where is the time we would send homework answers and music to eachother via msn messenger.

Nowadays i primarly use gmail meanly because i'm used to it and it works best for me, but it's not that i think either hotmail or gmail is better, i think they are both equal imo. If somebody would force me to use hotmail again, it's not that i'm going to lose sleep over it.

Edited by Yaramaki

I had to sign up for a new email address several years ago. The one that I originally had got to a point that so much junk mail was flooding into it, that I had no idea what was legitimate email, and what wasn't. The junk folder caught a lot of it, but not all. I finally said to hell with it, and signed up a new email address. I haven't had an issue since. And that old email address has gone the way of the dodo. Someone could probably sign it up as a new address if they wanted. I have no idea though.

Even though that was a major hassle, I still prefer hotmail. Like I said, gmail is just too damn confusing to me. I've been on hotmail for more than 20 years now, and it's just what I'm used to. Which I guess is why it works for me so well.

I haven’t touched Hotmail is like 20 years, so I don’t even remember what the interface looks like.

I still use my Yahoo email, and I have about 5 gmail accounts, but only actually use 2 of them on a regular basis. I use Outlook at work, since that’s what our mail servers run.

If I remember right, Hotmail more or less is a branch of Outlook. Both are Microsoft accounts, and I think they use the same codes. I couldn't say though, because I don't specifically use Outlook. Unless they are one and the same, which I highly doubt. I'm not particularly educated on Outlook. Although it does say "outlook" on the tab, so it could be the same. I took this screenshot of my email account. I did block out a few things, that are not to be public information, like the names of some friends and what emails I have in my inbox. But, other than that, nothing was altered.

Hotmail.jpg

54 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

If I remember right, Hotmail more or less is a branch of Outlook. Both are Microsoft accounts, and I think they use the same codes. I couldn't say though, because I don't specifically use Outlook. Unless they are one and the same, which I highly doubt. I'm not particularly educated on Outlook. Although it does say "outlook" on the tab, so it could be the same. I took this screenshot of my email account. I did block out a few things, that are not to be public information, like the names of some friends and what emails I have in my inbox. But, other than that, nothing was altered.

Hotmail.jpg

It definitely does look like Outlook webmail. Apparently according to Microsoft, Hotmail got replaced with Outlook:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/how-to-sign-in-to-hotmail-c378938b-c0eb-40c1-b99e-338dd9e776a8

So I guess you are using Outlook, but you’re allowed to use your Hotmail credentials to log in.

Edited by Grungie

On 6/18/2022 at 11:19 AM, The Blackangel said:

Hotmail.jpg

Yep - that's definitely it. Outlook and Hotmail accounts look the same. I should know because I have both.

For me both are same, I use Outlook for my resume and professional stuff since I have a better email address (ProTip: outlook email addresses support hyphens and I found the perfect one since not a lot of people know this). GMail is for all the shopping, promos and other shit like that since the automatic grouping them into folders is something I like.

On 7/5/2022 at 5:41 PM, Justin11 said:

I never used Hotmail before, Gmail have been my favourite since I started using devices that supports it. But I am not ruling Hotmail out, maybe when I want to experience something new aside Gmail. 

Apart from certain features like focused inbox, they're more or less the same. You're not exactly missing out on much and occasionally, Outlook/Hotmail will suddenly decide to delay emails for a few hours and then you suddenly get an influx of emails.

On 7/29/2022 at 6:38 PM, killamch89 said:

Apart from certain features like focused inbox, they're more or less the same. You're not exactly missing out on much and occasionally, Outlook/Hotmail will suddenly decide to delay emails for a few hours and then you suddenly get an influx of emails.

That's very weird, I wouldn't look out for outlook/Hotmail when I know my mails gonna be delayed. I love Gmail, email hits my phone the moment it is delivered to my phone. 

On 8/1/2022 at 11:15 AM, Justin11 said:

That's very weird, I wouldn't look out for outlook/Hotmail when I know my mails gonna be delayed. I love Gmail, email hits my phone the moment it is delivered to my phone. 

It's some kind of bug that happens like once or twice a year or every other year. I've had my hotmail account for about 15 years and I've only ever experienced it like 3 times and on two other occasions, Microsoft sent out an email stating the issue was occuring and they'll try to fix it immediately.