Register Now
StaceyPowers

Open world games that intuit logical solutions and actually let you do them

I often find myself frustrated with open world games presenting problems in game that I feel have obvious, logical solutions, and then no way to implement them. The Outer Worlds I think has done a great job not doing this. Almost every time I think of a solution to a problem with a faction or whatever, there is a way to do it. What other games do well with this?

I felt that they did the same thing in Death Stranding on multiple occasions. I'm not going to rule out the good part of the game because watching what you create in the game can be so satisfying. 

10 hours ago, Aniekwe said:

I felt that they did the same thing in Death Stranding on multiple occasions. I'm not going to rule out the good part of the game because watching what you create in the game can be so satisfying. 

Honestly, I don't think Death Stranding is a bad game at all but the story is just so hard to figure out.

On 5/29/2022 at 4:22 PM, Aniekwe said:

That's true mate, but I wouldn't want to sound bias I sincerely feel death stranding was a really cool game to play. Though I played it only once (still don't know why) but I enjoyed every bit of it when I played.

On 5/30/2022 at 7:32 PM, Clasher said:

That's true mate, but I wouldn't want to sound bias I sincerely feel death stranding was a really cool game to play. Though I played it only once (still don't know why) but I enjoyed every bit of it when I played.

It's surely a very good game to play and I did pointed that out. It came with its frustration but that doesn't make it entirely bad. 

14 hours ago, Aniekwe said:

It's surely a very good game to play and I did pointed that out. It came with its frustration but that doesn't make it entirely bad. 

Haha, frustrations spices the game to make it more intriguing and have you at the edge of your seats, just as what Elden ring does to me every time I play.

22 hours ago, Clasher said:

Haha, frustrations spices the game to make it more intriguing and have you at the edge of your seats, just as what Elden ring does to me every time I play.

It doesn't spice it up for me at all but rather it makes me grumpy like an old man which I hate most of the time. I get to learn when I beat it by the way but that feeling sucks. 

6 hours ago, Aniekwe said:

It doesn't spice it up for me at all but rather it makes me grumpy like an old man which I hate most of the time. I get to learn when I beat it by the way but that feeling sucks. 

So you would rather prefer a game to be all easy from Start to finish, would that even be fun, when playing a video game I set my difficulty to expert or professional that's the only time I get to enjoy the game. The satisfaction of beating and completing a very difficult level is heavenly.

Divinity: Original Sin II (I can't speak to the first game having these qualities) is exactly the sort of design I'd like to see in more video games. It's often called "the closest thing to D&D" because the developers have an approach of 'if you think you can do it, you can do it' and the world will react in such a way. And it's totally worth it for such ideas to be implemented.

Dark Messiah of Might & Magic is another one of those games that rewards creativity with environmental actions. These actions are limited and not always necessary, but they're a nice touch when you find them. Not an open world as such but it responds logically to the things you do to the environment.

On 6/2/2022 at 3:05 PM, Clasher said:

So you would rather prefer a game to be all easy from Start to finish, would that even be fun, when playing a video game I set my difficulty to expert or professional that's the only time I get to enjoy the game. The satisfaction of beating and completing a very difficult level is heavenly.

It's fun when you finally succeed in beating the game. It's the satisfying thing you get to gain from it but before that happens, I would have had it up to here with how frustrating it gets. 

20 minutes ago, Withywarlock said:

Divinity: Original Sin II (I can't speak to the first game having these qualities) is exactly the sort of design I'd like to see in more video games. It's often called "the closest thing to D&D" because the developers have an approach of 'if you think you can do it, you can do it' and the world will react in such a way. And it's totally worth it for such ideas to be implemented.

Dark Messiah of Might & Magic is another one of those games that rewards creativity with environmental actions. These actions are limited and not always necessary, but they're a nice touch when you find them. Not an open world as such but it responds logically to the things you do to the environment.

I heard a few about divinity: original sin II from my friends though I haven't played it myself, but from what  I heard the game is well designed, logical and would definitely be worth your time. 

Planning on playing the game myself as well.