Register Now
NightmareFarm

Best underwater section in a video game?

It seems like underwater sections are almost universally loathed. From Mario to Sonic to Zelda, etc people hate going underwater. Do you think any game did it right? 

I would say Bayonetta 2 has the best underwater sections. I much prefer regular land gameplay but it isn't really unenjoyable like many other games. You can use snake within to bypass the floaty water physics for traversal. They don't drag on too long as well. I would say Darksiders 3 has passable underwater sections as well since you can use the force/gravity hollow form to keep yourself grounded like your walking on land. 

If you are looking for a game that's going to give you an in depth underwater experience, I would go for Subnautica as a top priority. In Subnautica, you get to search for resources, build bases and have a lot of objectives to take care of. 

5 hours ago, Aniekwe said:

If you are looking for a game that's going to give you an in depth underwater experience, I would go for Subnautica as a top priority. In Subnautica, you get to search for resources, build bases and have a lot of objectives to take care of. 

I meant a regular game(not neccessarily water based) which has good underwater sections. Water focused games are built around it so they have to get it right whereas a lot of other game which has water sections in it drop the ball when it comes to those sections.

Couple i can think off :

Assasins creed black flag : pretty obvious and likely boring choice but wait let's massage my brain and see  if i can think of a couple more.

Maneater : Kind of an underrated game where your play as a shark in an openworld, offcourse it's mostly underwater but you can still attack and eat people on the coast lines, had a lot of fun with this one. By the end of the game you're an unstoppable force, exellent game that would probably my top pick for this thread if you're looking to play a game that is just a blast to play.

Another obvious answer would be ecco the dolphin. Bioshock games also have some interesting underwater sections from what i remember but it's been years since i played those games so my memory isen't all that great. Abzu would be an exellent choice aswell.

other recent games i can remember that include underwater sections that were good : rayman legends and offcourse how can i forgot super Mario Odyssey, Seaside Kingdom section.

I don't really know how far you want to go back into time but my favourite underwater section has to be Legend of zelda majora’s mask – great bay temple dungeon. Also from what i remember the underwater levels in the donkey kong country series were also top notch and how could i forgot super mario 64  Dire Dire Docks level.

Don't know if this is the answer you're looking for? I usually hate underwater levels especially the ones in the crash bandicoot series and the first sonic games so it's a hard subject for me to come up with something good.

1 hour ago, Yaramaki said:

Couple i can think off :

Assasins creed black flag : pretty obvious and likely boring choice but wait let's massage my brain and see  if i can think of a couple more.

Maneater : Kind of an underrated game where your play as a shark in an openworld, offcourse it's mostly underwater but you can still attack and eat people on the coast lines, had a lot of fun with this one. By the end of the game you're an unstoppable force, exellent game that would probably my top pick for this thread if you're looking to play a game that is just a blast to play.

Another obvious answer would be ecco the dolphin. Bioshock games also have some interesting underwater sections from what i remember but it's been years since i played those games so my memory isen't all that great. Abzu would be an exellent choice aswell.

other recent games i can remember that include underwater sections that were good : rayman legends and offcourse how can i forgot super Mario Odyssey, Seaside Kingdom section.

I don't really know how far you want to go back into time but my favourite underwater section has to be Legend of zelda majora’s mask – great bay temple dungeon. Also from what i remember the underwater levels in the donkey kong country series were also top notch and how could i forgot super mario 64  Dire Dire Docks level.

Don't know if this is the answer you're looking for? I usually hate underwater levels especially the ones in the crash bandicoot series and the first sonic games so it's a hard subject for me to come up with something good.

The underwater sections in AC: Black Flag are a really good shout. Challenging, diverse and worth doing as the unlock the best ship upgrades. I don't thinks it's an obvious or boring choice at all, on the contrary if anything I think they're underrated and seldom talked about. If anything I'd say don't get the appreciation they deserve.

I don't know about anyone else but I sincerely feel GTA has the worst underwater section 😅. I played under water on GTA sandreas and I got stucked there I couldn't even get out of the water. It felt like I was swimming and walking on the water at the same time.

On 5/29/2022 at 10:15 PM, NightmareFarm said:

I meant a regular game(not neccessarily water based) which has good underwater sections. Water focused games are built around it so they have to get it right whereas a lot of other game which has water sections in it drop the ball when it comes to those sections.

Oh, if that the case then, it's going to be the Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask. It's a very good example. I think that Bioshock is another one to add to it. 

On 5/30/2022 at 12:31 PM, Clasher said:

I don't know about anyone else but I sincerely feel GTA has the worst underwater section 😅. I played under water on GTA sandreas and I got stucked there I couldn't even get out of the water. It felt like I was swimming and walking on the water at the same time.

Yeah, the old GTA games tend to be very glitchy underwater especially swimming in certain areas...

It's a pity the Spyro didn't have any levels dedicated to swimming after Aquaria Towers in 2: Gateway to Glimmer. Other levels feature a lot of swimming, and two hub worlds require it, but past that it was just a carryover from the previous games.

On 5/30/2022 at 3:19 PM, Yaramaki said:

Also from what i remember the underwater levels in the donkey kong country series were also top notch

Honestly, Donkey Kong Country almost doesn't count because I've never seen anyone complain about them, and I have to agree; the controls and hit-boxes are tight, and rubbing along walls to find secret passages never got old. The music was phenominal too, but that can be said of just about any DK game.

20 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Yeah, the old GTA games tend to be very glitchy underwater especially swimming in certain areas...

At a point when I get stuck in the water or my car plunges into the river or ocean as the case maybe, I just restart the game from the last check point as that's the only way I could get out of such situations.