Register Now
StaceyPowers

Most educational games not made to be educational games?

1 minute ago, Clasher said:

Did you actually play Dr driving or you are stating in general for all educational games?

Because most people I know who played Dr driving actually term it as quite an intriguing game and requires you use your real life driving skills to pass different levels.

I played Parking but never got to play Dr Driving. If it's as good as you pip it to be, then I would have to give it a go and confirm it myself. 

6 minutes ago, Heatman said:

I played Parking but never got to play Dr Driving. If it's as good as you pip it to be, then I would have to give it a go and confirm it myself. 

Okay , you can try it out as well if you want to. I never played parking though but I still have Dr driving installed on my mobile phone. 

The best educational game would be one which doesn't make its players notice that it is educational. All games require you to learn their mechanics, systems and writing-related stuff, the goal I'd say is to give those things practical real world applicability while keeping them engaging.

It doesn't even need to be dumbed down necessarily, the existence and relative success of puzzle games pretty much proves that players don't at all mind using their heads in-game, and even in non-puzzle games players will often enjoy intellectual challenges.

Pretty much any gaming experience can be educational but you just don't know or realise it, have you ever wondered about the following :

-> Is playing racing games on a regulair basis making you a better driver in real life? 

-> Is playing a puzzle game going to help you finding more logical solutions to a problem?

-> Is playing a management game going to help somebody should they you ever start a business or have one?

-> Is playing a game full of moral choices going to help you make tough choices in real life more easier?

-> Is a building game ala minecraft benefitual for somebody's creativity?

9 hours ago, Aniekwe said:

My brother have mastered all the tracks in the Motor GP that he knows how to manipulate it to this advantage when playing. I suck at motorcycles racing. 

I'm very sure that in doing so, he would be able to call the races in real life if he's to visit any grand prix racing of Motor GP. The way the tracks for the races are designed, it's incredibly awesome. 

Most games are educational in some form or another, in that they involve problem solving. But I'll give some specific answers:

• Portal: the game teaches about physics, encourages lateral thinking, and perspective.
  • Democracy: a political game that - while not true to life in all things - will teach about governance and ideology, as well as the conflicts and ties they bring.
  • Most RTS: Real Time Strategy games usually teach players about resource management, and using them effectively to achieve an objective within a certain time frame.

I won't lie, I struggle to think of a lot of examples of games, especially ones that haven't been mentioned here already.

On 6/1/2022 at 7:38 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

I learned a lot about how to kill a zombie; just in case. 

If you've not read it, I strongly recommend Max Brooks' Zombie Survival Guide, which is rather entertaining and remarkably practical.

Edited by Withywarlock

Only if zombies are real and not just movie fictions, then it's going to be a very helpful knowledge. 

You can add learning how do drive and cook for me to it. Some video games I played taught me those two. 

7 hours ago, Aniekwe said:

You can add learning how do drive and cook for me to it. Some video games I played taught me those two. 

Just the way playing City Car Driving helped me pick up a few lessons on how to drive. 

17 hours ago, Heatman said:

Just the way playing City Car Driving helped me pick up a few lessons on how to drive. 

The Simulation game looks nice but I have so many on my plate already and I have played far better simulation games. It still gets a good rating from me anyways.