Register Now
The Blackangel

Sony plans to end the PS4 by 2025

I've read a few articles that say Sony is planning to end the PS4 by 2025, in an attempt to put all their focus on the PS5. They are apparently slowing games production for the PS4 considerably already. But their plan is to move past the PS4, and go full-steam-ahead with the PS5. While I see this as a logical step from a business perspective, I don't think it will work out the way they want. The PS5 was released 2 years ago, and is still incredibly hard to find. The PS4 didn't suffer the same release issues. I know Covid is a factor here, so I'm forgiving them for that. But the world will still be reeling from the "aftershock" at best by 2025. The retailers are having an almost impossible time getting it. The only current gen system that is widely available is the Xbox Series S. The Series X is in the same boat as the PS5. So like I said, logical from a business perspective, but not a good idea just yet. Until production for the new system is able to go full-steam-ahead again, I don't think plans to discontinue one of their most successful consoles is the way to go. Granted we're talking about the games themselves here, but considering the context of things, they're essentially ending the PS4 all together if they stop releasing games for it.

Here is one of the articles I read.

I read somewhere else that the current chip and semiconductor shortage  will probably last until 2024. But 2025 actually sounds like a good estimate, Sony does need to move on from the ps4 otherwise the quality of the games will never improve since they will always attempt to have a ps4 version

Well, it has to end one day. I mean PS3 and PS3 days have had it's days and had to go. The old goes and the new comes alone. At least it had a good long life while it lasted. Now it goves good three years to able to move those games to the new platform

2025 sounds like a good estimate - yes, there's a current chip shortage and the stock of the PS5 is low but they needed to move on from the PS4 at some point. It's a bit more of a long-term plan and although I don't agree with the execution or strategy, I can understand how Sony is looking at this.

A lot can happen in the world by 2025, and countries are scrambling to be the next chip supplier. That's gonna keep the ps5 price sky high. With 5 years into the release, why not just wait for the ps6? They gonna remaster or make them ps6 compatible anyways. $800 for a ps5 is costly. If it's still at $800 in 2025, I'll skip that generation. 

I've been playing PS4 since 2019, by 2025 it will make it six years. Let's see how it goes, possibly I'll move over to owning a PS5. It's frustrating thou to learn about this announcement, Sony should consider extending the cut down of PS4. 

They are just trying to get all their fans to move up into playing on PS5 but I'm there would be some gamers that's going to still be attached to PS4. I hope Sony don't pull the plug on PS4 games. 

59 minutes ago, Boblee said:

They are just trying to get all their fans to move up into playing on PS5 but I'm there would be some gamers that's going to still be attached to PS4. I hope Sony don't pull the plug on PS4 games. 

I just hope to upgrade till that said date, if I don't have plans for upgrade of console, I'll just stick to my PS4 no matter what. I hanged on to my PS3 even when so many video game companies dropped from making new games on it. 

11 hours ago, Boblee said:

It's not like they won't still be making a lot of money from developing games on PS4. They are trying to make the lives of those who can't afford PS5 very difficult for them. 

I have all 5 PlayStation consoles at the moment. But if the past 2 years are any indication, ending the PS4 so soon would be disastrous for Sony. People are having to rely on luck and accident to get a PS5. That's how I got mine. Someone was selling it on Craigslist, and I got lucky as hell. Unless you're willing to pay $1,000 at an online store like Walmart.com, you're shit out of luck. Forget for the moment the fact that PS5 is completely reverse compatible with PS4. Putting a halt on games for one system to make people play games for a system they can't even get their hands on is as stupid as it gets. Unless all of a sudden the microchip shortage ends, and they can get back into full on production of the PS5, they're only going to hurt sales. And in a seriously debilitating way.

4 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I have all 5 PlayStation consoles at the moment. But if the past 2 years are any indication, ending the PS4 so soon would be disastrous for Sony. People are having to rely on luck and accident to get a PS5. That's how I got mine. Someone was selling it on Craigslist, and I got lucky as hell. Unless you're willing to pay $1,000 at an online store like Walmart.com, you're shit out of luck. Forget for the moment the fact that PS5 is completely reverse compatible with PS4. Putting a halt on games for one system to make people play games for a system they can't even get their hands on is as stupid as it gets. Unless all of a sudden the microchip shortage ends, and they can get back into full on production of the PS5, they're only going to hurt sales. And in a seriously debilitating way.

The challenge in getting PS5 right now is very frustrating for all of us, I have tried and it's not forthcoming. Even if all that wanted PS5 later got it, it's still going to be a wrong move with ending PS4. 

I believe in the next couple of months, tbe supply of PS5 will be same ratio with the demands. We just have to exercise patience while it comes to fulfilment. By then, we'll have no choice but to face the decision made by Sony to end PS4 in terms of game production and move completely to PS5 and potential new gen console.