Register Now
NightmareFarm

Anyone plays splitgate?

On 7/26/2022 at 6:49 PM, Kane99 said:

My nephew got me to get it a while back. It being free to play, I figured why not. It's actually really fun. It reminds me of halo mixed with portal and it works really well. I am horrible at it, but for a free to play game, you really can't go wrong. Especially since it's pretty fun.

As long as you're not being lured to spending so much on the game's microtransactions, you don't have much to worry about it. Just play as you like and have fun with it. 

I don't have the game but I have played it a couple of times, my close buddy is a big fan of the game , so I have played it on their PS4.

I like the graphics and weapons though and first person shooter games are always my forte.

1 hour ago, Heatman said:

Although, one thing that I don't really like much in the game is some of the gun's skins. It's got too much colour that makes some of it look like a toy gun to me. 

I love the idea but something about the gun play is off. I know it's supposed to be similar to halo but the when you get punched it seems like you can't really tell. In many games like halo or even apex you can tell if the enemy is hitting you. They just need to polish their gun play and maybe even other stuff.

2 hours ago, Heatman said:

Although, one thing that I don't really like much in the game is some of the gun's skins. It's got too much colour that makes some of it look like a toy gun to me. 

Tell me about it. Yesterday I'd unlocked a new skin from my sniper rifle which was overly animated with a wavy purple effect. As nice as it was it was very distracting, and I couldn't use the weapon from the hip like I prefer (which in this game is surprisingly effective).

There is an appeal to the toy and action figure-like character design for me, but it's hit and miss, and even then it's hard to tell character skins apart in the heat of a fight (especially in modes like Flying Splitball, Zombie VIP or Laser Tag)

27 minutes ago, Empire said:

I love the idea but something about the gun play is off. I know it's supposed to be similar to halo but the when you get punched it seems like you can't really tell. In many games like halo or even apex you can tell if the enemy is hitting you. They just need to polish their gun play and maybe even other stuff.

Agreed. The sound and other feedback is fine, I feel like I'm hitting things in those instances, but getting hit doesn't feel at all punchy. It's particularly dissatisfying when in the faster paced modes like Flying Splitball you're zooming all over the map only to get wafted by a bat and that be the end of your go. 😞

1 hour ago, Withywarlock said:

Tell me about it. Yesterday I'd unlocked a new skin from my sniper rifle which was overly animated with a wavy purple effect. As nice as it was it was very distracting, and I couldn't use the weapon from the hip like I prefer (which in this game is surprisingly effective).

There is an appeal to the toy and action figure-like character design for me, but it's hit and miss, and even then it's hard to tell character skins apart in the heat of a fight (especially in modes like Flying Splitball, Zombie VIP or Laser Tag)

You're damn right about how distracting it gets with the too colour animation with those skins and it's why I'm very selective of the one's that I make use of. There was a time it got to the point where I began to question the concepts behind the game in terms of the age demography the developers had in mind when developing the game. 

On 6/3/2022 at 3:33 AM, NightmareFarm said:

I'd highly reccomend it if you're into competitive arena shooters. It's free to play. It's like halo but you can also shoot portals. Very fun and frantic and the portals make it feel strategic as well.

It may be niche but the matchmaking is very fast. Partially because it has crossplay enabled across 8th gen 9th gen consoles and PC.

On 6/3/2022 at 4:18 AM, Clasher said:

This looks so good, I like the graphics, weapon design and star wars features. I would definitely check it out in my ps4 console as soon as I can.

On 6/3/2022 at 4:30 AM, NightmareFarm said:

Yeah, it's worth a try since it's free(it's in beta).

huh, interesting, I've always been a fan of FPS games, I think this would be fun since it's like a child of HALO and portal, would sure be quite a tactical experience using portals... but if I recall correctly, there's also a character in apex legend that utilizes portals right? 🤔

Also, I just wonder if my friends PC could run this with a GT630 potato GPU. 🥔

it meets all the other required specs though, asides the GPU probably. 😅

Edited by Gonassis

For a game that's free to play as well, you can't go wrong. Try it out and see if it's to your liking. If you like halo and portal, you'll probably love it. 

Also, is this game popular in esports and gaming tournaments? If not, it should be. 

13 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Also, is this game popular in esports and gaming tournaments? If not, it should be. 

The esports scene exists but I can't speak to its popularity: see the SplitGate Pro Series with prize pools going up to $500k. They're currently selling the team weapon skins, so that's how I found out. I doubt the e-sports scene is all that big given the size of the playerbase, but I hope that'll change as time goes on. The game is only getting better.

20220731105250_1.jpg

Edited by Withywarlock
Provided evidence.

12 hours ago, Kane99 said:

For a game that's free to play as well, you can't go wrong. Try it out and see if it's to your liking. If you like halo and portal, you'll probably love it. 

Yeah, that's right and it's the one thing that makes some not worry too much about some things in the game. It's the skins and other cosmetic that you have to spend on if you have any need for it. I enjoyed playing Halo anyways and this one isn't that bad either. 

12 hours ago, Kane99 said:

It isn't because it's too niche but more importantly it hasn't officially released yet(it is still in a beta)

On 7/30/2022 at 5:31 PM, Gonassis said:

huh, interesting, I've always been a fan of FPS games, I think this would be fun since it's like a child of HALO and portal, would sure be quite a tactical experience using portals... but if I recall correctly, there's also a character in apex legend that utilizes portals right? 🤔

Also, I just wonder if my friends PC could run this with a GT630 potato GPU. 🥔

it meets all the other required specs though, asides the GPU probably. 😅

I think GT630 would serve better than a potato for this game, there could be a few downsides to it but as long as you can cope with a few game glitches and slow pace here and there then that GPU is fine.

There is even a mobile version of this game you could try it out as well.

2 hours ago, Clasher said:

I think GT630 would serve better than a potato for this game, there could be a few downsides to it but as long as you can cope with a few game glitches and slow pace here and there then that GPU is fine.

There is even a mobile version of this game you could try it out as well.

haha, a potato indeed... that is truly an old GPU anyway... 🥔🥔🥔

maybe it could run at minimum settings too.

thanks, I'll see if the mobile game is any worth looking into. 😁

On 7/31/2022 at 3:41 AM, Withywarlock said:

The esports scene exists but I can't speak to its popularity: see the SplitGate Pro Series with prize pools going up to $500k. They're currently selling the team weapon skins, so that's how I found out. I doubt the e-sports scene is all that big given the size of the playerbase, but I hope that'll change as time goes on. The game is only getting better.

20220731105250_1.jpg

The fact they're offering a $500 thousand dollar prize shows that they at least mean some business. I know most esports orgs offer up a lot of money in tournaments and such, but for a game thats free to play, offering a cash prize like that, at least, tells me they're doing something right. 

On 8/1/2022 at 11:32 AM, Gonassis said:

haha, a potato indeed... that is truly an old GPU anyway... 🥔🥔🥔

maybe it could run at minimum settings too.

thanks, I'll see if the mobile game is any worth looking into. 😁

You are welcome 🥴

I played split gate last weekend on PlayStation 4 but I still haven't tried out the mobile version , so if you are able to get it on mobile do well to give us a few reviews about it.