Register Now
Knight Plug

Resident Evil 4 (Remake) [OT]

Well...

It was finally foo ken confirmed, for real! LOL. 😉

It is releasing on 24 March, 2023. 🤑

What do you think of the trailer from tonight's State of Play showcase, and how Leon Kennedy looks the same as he did in the reimagining of RE2? 

Oh, take my money, Capcom...

There's not much I can say about this, especially given the trailer: it's more REmakes. I imagine it's a Marmite thing, either you love 'em or you hate 'em, and maybe people are just waiting for the right game so... good for those who wanted to play RE4?

I'd like to give these a try. If I enjoy Resident Evil 2's remakes, I think I'd enjoy this one just as much.

I think it will be good in general, but I am largely sceptical that, yeah, it's still a cash grab. 

I don't really care for remakes, because they don't replace the originals. About the only remake that "did" was the 2002 remake, which is basically what the 1996 version couldn't be, because of hardware limitations of the era. But that was a choice for Shinji Mikami to do a remake, from the ground up. With Capcom, they had nobody holding them at gunpoint. It's the money they care about, first and foremost. Meanwhile, we could have gotten a good spin off game, which I'd quite frankly, take over a reimagining.

The remake of RE3 was absolutely trashed from the moment they worked on it, because whoever developed it, just hadn't a clue what made the original so unique. To be honest, I will be surprised if I ever play that awful game ever again. And I wasn't overly impressed with RE2 either, as BOTH games were as guilty of omitting things. Not having Barry Burton save Jill in Raccoon City was dope, for a start. 

Feels like most of the pedestrian, ten a penny horror crap that companies make now for a cheap profit. Despite what anyone says, RE2's modern version doesn't hold a candle to the original. Yet if you look online for any reviews from the largest gaming giants, most fanboys say RE2 turned out to be magnificent, while dissing RE3. Hardly makes sense, though, giving how they are just as guilty for removing story aspects, and enemies. So it's kind of stupid to fault one game, rather than point out that they are both flawed. 

When RE4 arrives, don't be surprised if fanboys defend it to the bitter end. Because I know what they're like, as there's a forum I use for the franchise, called Biohaze. Some of the members are kind of the snobby type. They don't want you saying anything negative about the series, even if it's absolutely truthful. So I normally just don't say anything anymore.

The tone seems different. They are doing a more serious and "realistic" approach to Resident Evil 4. You can see that on the collor palette, the music, the dialogue and even the clothing (Ada doesn't even wear her femme fatalle dress). I hope that this means a improvement to the original game, because we love RE4's cheesy humor and action.

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

ANOTHER RE remake?!...Capcom is just milking this. I thoroughly enjoyed 2 and 3 Remake because it fixed the huge issues of the original game mechanics but I always feared they wouldn't stop there and here it is confirmed.

I'm not surprised with how well they sell. They make headlines and review well, and to be honest if it keeps showing up the so-called AAA publishers who decided survival horror was dead I'm happy for them. Well, as happy as I can be for Capcom. I haven't forgotten on-disc DLC.

I am curious though, what's your reason for fear? Isn't this just more of a good thing, or is it going into the territory of reinventing the wheel?

15 minutes ago, Withywarlock said:

I'm not surprised with how well they sell. They make headlines and review well, and to be honest if it keeps showing up the so-called AAA publishers who decided survival horror was dead I'm happy for them. Well, as happy as I can be for Capcom. I haven't forgotten on-disc DLC.

I am curious though, what's your reason for fear? Isn't this just more of a good thing, or is it going into the territory of reinventing the wheel?

I'm more concerned about Capcom concentrating most of their energy on remakes instead of making brand new games. I don't have a problem if they want to do a remake every now and then but it seems like a yearly thing now.

17 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I'm more concerned about Capcom concentrating most of their energy on remakes instead of making brand new games. I don't have a problem if they want to do a remake every now and then but it seems like a yearly thing now.

Understood. Then again Resident Evil is one of those franchises that has a lot of entries outside of its numbered games, which are typically met with mixed/mildly positive reception, so I get their caution after being burnt a few times or not seeing the value in it. See how many remasters they've done in their past; it's been their modus operandi for at least a decade.

The well will dry up one day, and when it does they'll continue to make more games. I appreciate someone would prefer that to be sooner rather than later, though.

On 6/7/2022 at 3:53 PM, killamch89 said:

ANOTHER RE remake?!...Capcom is just milking this. I thoroughly enjoyed 2 and 3 Remake because it fixed the huge issues of the original game mechanics but I always feared they wouldn't stop there and here it is confirmed.

Capcom never ceases to disappoint in that part. The fans are actually well hooked on the game. I'd say that the game is worth everything that they have been doing with it in terms of gameplay. 

10 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Capcom again, they aren't concentrating on making sequel versions of their RE series, they're now focused on remakes, which will only add few things from the original version and sell it off at same amount which a new game would cost. 

It's one thing with gaming companies like Capcom to always give more focus to what makes them the money. It's always been about the money for all of them and not just Capcom. 

On 6/8/2022 at 4:04 PM, Boblee said:

Capcom never ceases to disappoint in that part. The fans are actually well hooked on the game. I'd say that the game is worth everything that they have been doing with it in terms of gameplay. 

It's not a disappoint because the remake is going to be great going by the last three remakes but it feels like they're milking it. That's where my disappointment comes from.

On 6/8/2022 at 6:18 AM, Withywarlock said:

Understood. Then again Resident Evil is one of those franchises that has a lot of entries outside of its numbered games, which are typically met with mixed/mildly positive reception, so I get their caution after being burnt a few times or not seeing the value in it. See how many remasters they've done in their past; it's been their modus operandi for at least a decade.

The well will dry up one day, and when it does they'll continue to make more games. I appreciate someone would prefer that to be sooner rather than later, though.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if they concentrated on an unexplored plot point in the remake.

16 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

It's not a disappoint because the remake is going to be great going by the last three remakes but it feels like they're milking it. That's where my disappointment comes from.

Even with all these re-makes, Capcom are still putting out new Resident Evil games as a respectable pace and they're quality games, so I don't really see the problem.