Register Now

This is an open discussion topic and could either be informative, fascination of their portrayal in video games, or just anything you can think of or come across. Since this is a gaming site and the only thing I know about this topic I have come across in games, then I would like your ideas you came across from games you played as well as the real world. I just thought things can get hairy so I posted in debate. Some ideas would be Greek gods, Egyptian, Norse, Japanese, etc. Have fun with it. Compare, find similarities, be informative or don't. Come across any in games? How are they portrayed? Ever study in real life? This might be too broad of a topic. I'll see how it goes and maybe narrow down each religion in different topics if the need arises. My own experience, well I don't have any except for games like Assassin's Creed and God of War. I recently came across the Egyptian God Amun in AC Origins. I found it to fit perfectly in the AC franchise because the God means 'the hidden' or 'hidden one' being god of the air. Now think about the whole AC franchise and the first assassins 'the hidden ones' and how Amun goes perfectly with it as assassins have to be invisible. But that is just an example, and a damn good one. So no offense meant towards ancient Gods, but I just want to show how some games have sparked my interest to learn more. I'm not a religious type, but I do have a fascination with the ancients. 

Myself, I am both Hellenistic and Satanic. But for this discussion, I'm going to focus on the Hellenistic part.

God Of War is the only one that actually features and of the ancient Gods. That said, it also does a piss poor portrayal of Them. It twists around who They are, and what They are. The name of the game refers to Ares specifically, yet He has little appearance in the first one, and virtually no appearances in any of the others.

Edited by The Blackangel

11 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

Myself, I am both Hellenistic and Satanic. But for this discussion, I'm going to focus on the Hellenistic part.

God Of War is the only one that actually features and of the ancient Gods. That said, it also does a piss poor portrayal of Them. It twists around who They are, and what They are. The name of the game refers to Ares specifically, yet He has little appearance in the first one, and virtually no appearances in any of the others.

That's a good point to make. Thinking on that, why isn't Kratos called Ares instead? That makes me a little confused why Ares has little role in it. Who exactly was Kratos? Looks like there is a Kratos God in both Greek and Norse religion. Ares is God of war and Kratos is God of strength. Maybe they naturally oppose each other or should be allies. 

Norse God of war- Odin

Roman God of war- Mars

What would make a God of war powerful? Because someone has to lose. How would you favor a war God? And when two different civilizations are at war, which God would decide the fate? Would it become a war of the Gods at that point? I should put down my sword and walk away and let them box it out. But that would weaken my war God. So fight we must. 

Is it wrong if a person believes in different Gods from different cultures from different time periods? Is everything one way or the highway? Are all the Gods related in each religion, making it impossible to believe in others? Do all religions have a God that created all, making it impossible to believe in others? 

Which God of war will protect me. What God protects them? What ancient God is still strong? Are you dead? Norse believes you can die. Do you die? Give me a sign of what to follow. Don't manipulate me. Give me truth. Oh shit. Truth. Aletheia. Bring transparency. I kneel to truth. I kneel to Aletheia. I don't know you yet. Give me wisdom to understand what truth is. 

Smell my blood Sekhmet and destroy humans. They deserve it. Wipe them out. Who will be left to worship me? Oh Ra, why do you feel the need to be worshipped? Why do Gods feel the need to be worshipped? I want to worship you. I seriously want to believe, but the Gods are all over the fucking place. Who is true? I stand with the Gods who don't want Earth to be destroyed, yet I stand with Gods who have reason to annihilate humanity. 

On 6/5/2022 at 3:24 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

Who exactly was Kratos?

One of the four siblings of the Titan Pallas and the eldest Oceanid, Styx, Kratos was, for the Ancient Greeks, a personification of brute Strength or Power.

His brother and both of his sisters were embodiment's of similar traits. Zelus represented Zeal, Aspiration, Emulation, and Glory; Nike was the personification of Victory; and Bia of Might and Force.

Hesiod describes them as “wonderful children” and recounts how they earned their status and reputation.

Namely, when Zeus was preparing for the Titanomachy, he tried to assemble as many allies as possible, by promising whoever fights with him a divine office and appropriate rights. At the advice of her father Oceanus, Styx was the first one to join his forces, bringing with herself her four children. Zeus repaid her by declaring that, from then on, all gods will swear their oaths by her sacred waters and that Styx’ four children will live with him forevermore.

Consequently, Kratos and his siblings have no dwelling place but Zeus himself, i.e., they are aspects of his personality and authority.

15 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Is it wrong if a person believes in different Gods from different cultures from different time periods? Is everything one way or the highway? Are all the Gods related in each religion, making it impossible to believe in others? Do all religions have a God that created all, making it impossible to believe in others? 

There's a hell of a lot of debate there. Some say that each pantheon has completely different Gods. Others say the Gods are the same, but revealed themselves differently in each culture. The only thing I know for a fact about that, is that the Romans adopted the Greek Gods, and simply renamed them.

13 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Which God of war will protect me. What God protects them? What ancient God is still strong? Are you dead? Norse believes you can die. Do you die? Give me a sign of what to follow. Don't manipulate me. Give me truth. Oh shit. Truth. Aletheia. Bring transparency. I kneel to truth. I kneel to Aletheia. I don't know you yet. Give me wisdom to understand what truth is. 

The Gods may protect you, they may not. You have better chance of being in their favor if you swear fealty to one specific God. That God will probably show favor to you.

12 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Is there any defense against God control? Democracy is worship of human rights. Enlighten me where a God respects human sovereignty. 

I'm not sure entirely sure what you mean by "defense" in this situation. But I'm going to take a shot and say that atheism is a good attempt at it. They will neither favor you nor dismiss you. They most likely won't even notice you, and therefore not make Themselves part of your life. But this is all speculation, as if you don't believe in Them, They would obviously have no effect on your life.

What is the God of balance? I want to kneel to balance. Anubis measures the feather and heart. But that is after life. What God guides us in present life for balance? Strictly balance. There has to be one. Cause I feel the society I live in is in a yo-yo effect. Gods guide us. If the Gods of war control the narrative forcing balance, then there must not exist a God of balance because war offsets balance. 

13 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

What is the God of balance? I want to kneel to balance. Anubis measures the feather and heart. But that is after life. What God guides us in present life for balance? Strictly balance. There has to be one. Cause I feel the society I live in is in a yo-yo effect. Gods guide us. If the Gods of war control the narrative forcing balance, then there must not exist a God of balance because war offsets balance. 

Dike was the Goddess of justice and moral order in Greek history. She was the daughter of Zeus and Themis. Although both Dike and Themis were considered personifications of justice, Dike represented more the justice based on socially enforced norms and conventional rules, human justice, while Themis was the representation of divine justice. She was considered to be a young woman holding a balance scale; Her Roman counterpart was depicted in the same way but also blindfolded. Along with Eunomia and Eirene, Dike belonged to the second-generation Horae, Goddesses of the seasons and the natural portions of time. She was represented in the sky by the constellation Virgo; according to an account concerning the origins of the constellation, Dike lived on the earth during the first two Ages of Man, the Golden and the Silver ages. During that period, men lived in peace with each other, grew crops and there was no disease. However, men became greedy and Dike, enraged, decided to go to the sky. That's when mankind went into the bronze age.

On 6/24/2022 at 5:08 PM, The Blackangel said:

I’ve sworn an oath to one of the Gods. So assuming I pray at all, it’s always to Her.

I completely respect you more than anyone I know. I'm discovering things, and my view of everything as a whole is open for debate. I find myself getting closer to what you believe. I'm not ignoring you when I post things. So please contribute like you have done and pease everyone contribute to your thoughts.