Register Now
Shagger

Diablo Immortal is EXACTLY what we expected it to be...

A greedy, insidious mess of pay-to-win lootboxes and predatory monetisation. It may even be the most horrid example of the implementation of such systems that we have ever seen in a game of this type.

Activation-Blizzard (who I will refer to from now on as cock noses) released thier very much not anticipated "free-to-play" (a term I use very loosely indeed) addition to the Diablo franchise on Android, iOS and PC on June 2nd to a rousing chorus of "Yes, this is shit, like we expected". The only thing that the cock noses suppressed me with is just how bad it is.

Youtuber Bellular News breaks this down in detail, here's his video.

I'll also link Jim Stephanie Sterling's video as that was how I was first made aware of this. This is also very much worth a watch.

I would ask you to please watch both videos before commenting. I know that means not being able to make 5 posts in the next 10 minutes, but I not going to tolerate anyone making a stupid point or asking a stupid question because they obviously couldn't be bothered watch the clips or read this post in it's entirety. You have been warned.

Full details in the videos as aforementioned, but here is the basics. Using the games deliberately convoluted and complex system involving buying premium currency's, crafting and using the systems that involve of a use of gameplay (You do have to actually play the game to earn the rewards you pay for, so a small glimmer of good from the cock noses in this sea of shit.) the using that premium currency to access certain rewards and areas of the game, it has been estimated that it would cost a minimum of $100,000 to max out a character in Diablo Immortal. I promise you, that is not a misprint, $100,000. It has also been estimated that to achieve the same without paying would take 10 years of play. No hours, not days, not weeks or even months. Years.

The cock noses were booed at Blizzcon 2018 over this game, and that was before they were exposed over the harassment and sexual misconduct that had been plaguing the company, so we knew back then what this going to be. So obviously, I didn't care about this game from minute one, but I didn't expect it to be this bad. The cock noses clearly built these microtransactions into the same so integrally that they pulled the plug on the games release in countries like the Netherlands and Belgium where lootboxes are banned. They obviously couldn't remove them, there a vital part of the game to point where I'd say they are literally what the game if for, the game exists for them. So anyone who planned to play the "It's Optional" card, I'm telling you before you even begin you're wrong. If they microtransactions were optional, why couldn't they remove them then release the game in these countries like EA did with FIFA? That's right, the cock noses are worse than EA, that's how bad it is.

The only sign that the cock noses listened to the fans is the fact the game did release of PC as well, but means very little when the game is such an insult.

How do you feel about all of this?

Edited by Shagger

I'm not surprised at all that this was just one huge cashgrab - This is the exact reason why Activision has found themselves in the financial situation they're in and need to be bailed out by the Microsoft deal that isn't guaranteed to go through either. 

This is a prime example of why "free to Play" and "PvP" don't play well together. On the other end, a strictly PvE game like Genshin works pretty well in spite of the free to play model. The game is not only manageable for it's f2p players, it isn't really any more grindy. Of course all that would go out the window if they introduced PvP, since the DPS difference on some characters is 400% when they have their max constellations (unlocked by getting multiple copies of a character).

The saddest thing about all this is the fact that, at least from I understand from people that have played it, is that this is (or at least has base) of a genuinely good Diablo game.  It could have been the best Diablo game to date but the monetisation has completely ruined it.

I've read some YouTube comments from some others have run the numbers and it seems that $110,000 figure is if anything the cost to a player with good or a least above average luck out of the loot box's.  A spending player with average to poor luck could actually be nudging a quarter of a million US dollars to max out!  It's bloody ridiculous!

I have heard about this game since a long time but never tried playing any of the games in 3 part series. The new game is out but I am yet to try it. However, I might try it on PC because it is free.

On 6/10/2022 at 8:44 AM, Jasmin said:

I have heard about this game since a long time but never tried playing any of the games in 3 part series. The new game is out but I am yet to try it. However, I might try it on PC because it is free.

What is the point on replying to a thread you didn't even read? And before you say it, there is no way you read anything here with ANY sense care or diligence, otherwise you won't have replied with anything even remotely positive. I'm a little concerned about you and I'm getting a strong feeling that, just like some others on here, you're here to farm posts. you've only been here a few weeks, don't follow the example of people like @Heatman, @Head_Hunter and @Boblee who couldn't care less about what they post as long as they post something.

On 6/13/2022 at 10:12 PM, Shagger said:

just like some others on here, you're here to farm posts

So, you mean only those who have experience with the game being discussed should reply to the topic? What's wrong when someone says "I have never played the game but I intend to play"? Farming for me is replying to the same topic again and again without having to give any new information.  

1 hour ago, Jasmin said:

So, you mean only those who have experience with the game being discussed should reply to the topic? What's wrong when someone says "I have never played the game but I intend to play"? Farming for me is replying to the same topic again and again without having to give any new information.  

Farming is posting anything at all with no care as to what you are posting, just getting as many posts in as possible. It's easy to spot people farming on threads like this because just like how you lot can't be bothered to type a post that takes more than a few moments to type, you equally can't be bothered to read posts that take more than a few moments to read. Because you didn't read this thread nor it's opening post and decided to make a what was a very generic response to this topic that didn't acknowledge nor address anything in the thread, this was easy to spot. Anyone who actually read the thread or least the opening post and payed any mind to what was going on in this game would not say.

...However, I might try it...

Seriously, read the topic. Anyone who wanted to play this game after having read and understood what was going on with it would have to be a complete idiot. At the very least, they would have more to say than this;

I can even prove you didn't read the thread. Here is a snip of you activity history, more specifically your activity history surrounding the very post in question:

image_2022-06-14_192309416.thumb.png.c97132e53633272b456e1a74b4a536f1.png

Pleas note the times. You'll notice that you posted the reply a the "Gotham Knights PRG" thread at 8:41 AM on Friday (That will be my local time). You then posted the reply in question at 8:44am, that's 3 minutes later. Do you expect me to believe that you found the thread, clicked on it, read and understood the then made a genuine effort to compile a relevant reply and it typed out in three minutes? No, you didn't. You clicked on the thread, quickly put together a generic reply. Bang, done. Next post, which is also 3 minute gap.

Don't you dare insult me by insulating that I don't know exactly what it is your doing. You can't waste time actually reading what people post, you need make reply's, as many of them as possible, go go go! Quality, relevance and insight be dammed, just put in anything, it all counts the same. Why spend 10 minutes reading threads to help you formulate an interesting and relevant reply when in that 10 minutes you could get 4, maybe even 5 one sentence posts in, right?

Fuck you, not on my threads.

That's what why I called you out and I'm not letting get away with it. Don't reply to a topic of mine again unless you're actually willing to put the bare minimum of effort into it, and by that I mean actually fucking read the topic! This is a complete lack of respect for me not as mod, but a member. Everyone who spends thier valuable time to create topics of discussion for you deserves the respect of people to at least read the topic before replying, we don't create threads to give you a new field to farm on. If you keep doing this, I promise trouble. And the same goes for all of you.

Edited by Shagger

18 hours ago, Shagger said:

Fuck you, not on my threads.

Look I read your entire reply. I have never seen someone so insolent on a public space. If you own this site, just ban everyone you believe are farming. You will have no one expect you to create topics and reply to your own topics.

14 minutes ago, Jasmin said:

Look I read your entire reply. I have never seen someone so insolent on a public space. If you own this site, just ban everyone you believe are farming. You will have no one expect you to create topics and reply to your own topics.

Stop with the lies. You did not read that post and you certainly didn't watch the videos to gain full understanding of the situation before replying as it is not possible to all that then type out a reply, even that painfully generic one, in 3 minutes. You've been caught, now start behaving like an adult and take responsibility.

Edited by Shagger

You are the moderator, you can take measures to make the place better but you should not terrorize the members with your "know all" attitude. Do you realize what word did you use against me when I have not said anything personal against you?

Somebody has actually created a Diablo Immortal Look Box Simulator using the actual odds programmed into the game so people can see how much they would need to spend to actually get all the 5/5 Legendary Gems they would need to maximise thier gear in the end game.

Here is YongYea's video on it:

And the link to the application itself on Github

Give it a try and post your results below. I'll edit this post with my results soon. Remember, you need 6 5/5 gems as there a six slots to put them in

EDIT:

I got very lucky it seams at first and bagged my first 5/5 gem after just 5 spins spending what would have been $125 ($25 a spin). Even that is still extortionate for a single gem, but moving on.

image_2022-06-22_215828935.thumb.png.528e93acdeefc1ea732a220cf158d57b.png

My luck still seems to be holding out somewhat as gen two game at 38 spins and $950. This is actually a hell of a lot more fortunate than most people as far as I can tell.

1202083542_spin2.thumb.png.6416faa2c3abb202fb0bedf636147893.png

Gem 3 at 186 spins and $4650

2136169464_spin3.thumb.png.60d7fca8bfcb66bf2d54db5ccf435808.png

Gem 4 at 260 spins and $6500. I feel like I'm getting lucky, here.

778914537_spin4.thumb.png.526e4e1e4d88b73a2bf0e6cd45f9bfa4.png

Gem 5 at 474 spins. $11850.

1124223340_spin5.thumb.png.9a024229d5b082f999a69fa54eae4b4c.png

Then my last and 6th gem at just 130 additional spins. Money spent at a grand total of $12175.

1756685158_spin6.thumb.png.169143617840917f3b635cacb3a36d77.png

This has got to go down as one of the luckiest runs. People have spend more that that in real life to get just one 5/5 gem. but, the results are what the are. 

Edited by Shagger