Register Now
Grungie

Howdy

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

They're originals. What their correlation to the Japanese releases are, I don't know. All I know is that I have them and enjoy them. I won't buy a reproduction. I only buy authentic carts. Nostalgia is a big thing for me, so if I bought a repro, I may as well be playing a ROM on my PC.

I’m just saying that if they’re in English they can’t be originals if they never left Japan and the English translation was all fan translated.

Final Fantasy V’s first official English release was on the PS1, so if you have an English copy on the SNES, it could only be a reproduction, as that version is solely available through fan translations. 

Final Fantasy 2 is the English version of Final Fantasy IV, because they initially skipped over 2 and 3. FF3 on the SNES is the same boat, because they initially skipped 5 for the SNES. So if you play 2 and 4 for the SNES, it’s the same game, as will be the same for 3 and 6. So if you have 4 and 6 in English on the SNES, they’re not authentic, since the authentic titles will be 2 and 3.

Bahamut Lagoon never got an official release outside of Japan, and also never was rereleased outside of Japan, so the only way to play it in English is through a fan translation. So that also could only be a reproduction cart if it’s in English.

On 6/13/2022 at 8:12 PM, Grungie said:

I’m just saying that if they’re in English they can’t be originals if they never left Japan and the English translation was all fan translated.

Final Fantasy V’s first official English release was on the PS1, so if you have an English copy on the SNES, it could only be a reproduction, as that version is solely available through fan translations. 

Final Fantasy 2 is the English version of Final Fantasy IV, because they initially skipped over 2 and 3. FF3 on the SNES is the same boat, because they initially skipped 5 for the SNES. So if you play 2 and 4 for the SNES, it’s the same game, as will be the same for 3 and 6. So if you have 4 and 6 in English on the SNES, they’re not authentic, since the authentic titles will be 2 and 3.

Bahamut Lagoon never got an official release outside of Japan, and also never was rereleased outside of Japan, so the only way to play it in English is through a fan translation. So that also could only be a reproduction cart if it’s in English.

I understand, but trust me, they are all original. The games that were released on the SNES were numbered differently than the Japanese entries. When a game is a big hit, it's translated by the developers, not the fans, to be released in English speaking countries. I have played all the Final Fantasy games in my library somewhat extensively, and none of them are the same. The only FF games that are the same are the ones that are direct sequels, such as FFX2.

So don't argue with me about my own personal library. I know what I have, I know what I have played, and I know what I'm talking about.

Edited by The Blackangel

4 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I understand, but trust me, they are all original. The games that were released on the SNES were numbered differently than the Japanese entries. When a game is a big hit, it's translated by the developers, not the fans, to be released in English speaking countries. I have played all the Final Fantasy games in my library somewhat extensively, and none of them are the same. The only FF games that are the same are the ones that are direct sequels, such as FFX2.

So don't argue with me about my own personal library. I know what I have, I know what I have played, and I know what I'm talking about.

I’m just saying that you say you have Final Fantasy 2-6 on the SNES, so when you say you have originals on some of those, you either have Japanese copies, or they’re reproductions. Usually people say they have FF2 and 3, or use the real names of 4 and 6. So if you’re including FF5, and throwing in 4 and 6 along with 2 and 3, it raises questions as some of those are literally impossible to own legitimate English copies.

2 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I got a bit carried away with FF5. I didn't realize that I had typed it. So that one I don't have. But saying it was an impossibility is flat out incorrect. It WAS released on the SNES. A simple Google search would show you that.

FF5.jpg

Look for the North American release date for the SNES, that’s what I’m talking about, the same goes with Bahamut Lagoon. You can find the Japanese release dates for those, but no North American release date.

The SNES and Super Famicom are the same console. The first official non-Japanese release of FF5 was in the Final Fantasy Anthology on the PS1. You can find SFC copies and those will be legitimate, but the SNES carts will only be reproductions.

B2D80DDC-CE47-4063-8F13-F3B868D57DC3.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Grungie said:

Look for the North American release date for the SNES, that’s what I’m talking about, the same goes with Bahamut Lagoon. You can find the Japanese release dates for those, but no North American release date.

The SNES and Super Famicom are the same console. The first official non-Japanese release of FF5 was in the Final Fantasy Anthology on the PS1. You can find SFC copies and those will be legitimate, but the SNES carts will only be reproductions.

B2D80DDC-CE47-4063-8F13-F3B868D57DC3.jpeg

If you had looked, you would see that it WAS released on SNES BY THE DEVELOPERS. Thus meaning that it IS NOT ALWAYS A REPRODUCTION. Yes, there are reproduction copies on the market. But the fact that the developers released it for said console does not mean that it is a reproduction, no matter how badly you want it to be. You are acting like a MAGAt claiming the election was stolen when they KNOW they're wrong. I'm trying to help you understand this, but you keep refusing to accept it simply because you refuse to admit that you are wrong.

2 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

If you had looked, you would see that it WAS released on SNES BY THE DEVELOPERS. Thus meaning that it IS NOT ALWAYS A REPRODUCTION. Yes, there are reproduction copies on the market. But the fact that the developers released it for said console does not mean that it is a reproduction, no matter how badly you want it to be. You are acting like a MAGAt claiming the election was stolen when they KNOW they're wrong. I'm trying to help you understand this, but you keep refusing to accept it simply because you refuse to admit that you are wrong.

Oh the irony…

Anyway, there is no English release date on the SNES, so there literally cannot be a legitimate copy for the SNES. The first official release in English was on the PS1 in the Final Fantasy Anthology on the PS1. The only official release was on the Super Famicom, aka “only Japan”. It’s on the Wikipedia article that you didn’t read, and you can also see it on the Final Fantasy wiki as well about how an English release on the SNES does not exist.

If you see a FF5 cartridge that says “Super Nintendo” on it, it can only be a reproduction cart, as the only English release playable on the SNES is via a fan translation.

I will no shit give you $100 if you can find information and a legitimate copy of FF5 that isn’t a Super Nintendo copy.

Edited by Grungie

To quote the Wikipedia article:

The official English translation of Final Fantasy Vbegan shortly after the release of the Japanese version. The game was to be titled "Final Fantasy III" in North America, but the project fell through.[28] Square then announced that due to its differing tone and much higher difficulty from the rest of the series, they would be releasing it in North America as a standalone game with a yet-to-be-determined title, rather than part of the Final Fantasy series.[29] This plan was quickly aborted. Translator Ted Woolsey explained in a 1994 interview, "[Final Fantasy V is] just not accessible enough to the average gamer".[30]Rumors circulated that a second attempt at localization would be made and that the game would be titled Final Fantasy Extreme, but this attempt was also canceled. A third attempt was made to port the game to Microsoft Windows-based personal computers for North American release by developer Top Dog Software, but this was canceled.[28] Another attempt to port the game to Windows for North America was "handled by Eidos Interactive" circa 1998 (but it is unclear whether this is the same version Top Dog Software was working on or an actual fourth attempt).[31] The continual canceling of the localization angered fans and led to Final Fantasy V becoming one of the first games to receive a complete fan translation.[28]

Final Fantasy V was ported by Tose to the SonyPlayStation and re-released in Japan on March 19, 1998; it was included in the 1999 release of Final Fantasy Collection, alongside Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy VI.[40][41] The PlayStation version boasted two new full motion videoopening and ending sequences and a "memo-save" feature, but the game otherwise remained unchanged.[3][42] Square released 50,000 limited edition copies of the collection which included a Final Fantasy-themed alarm clock.[41] In the same year, Square released the PlayStation compilation Final Fantasy Anthology in North America, which included Final Fantasy V, as well as the PlayStation version of Final Fantasy VI. This would mark the first time the game was published outside Japan, nearly seven years after its initial release.[43]

Here’s also snippets from the FF5 article on the FF wiki:

The original Super Famicom version was never released in North America. Translator Ted Woolseyhad almost all of the game translated, but Square opted not to ship it because they didn't feel the US market was ready for a second flagship RPG after Final Fantasy II (released as Final Fantasy IV in Japan) and they felt they needed something else to get people trained on that style of gaming. This vision actualized as Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, released in North America a month ahead of Final Fantasy V in Japan. Woolsey explained of Final Fantasy V in a 1994 interview, "it's just not accessible enough to the average gamer."[5] Plans were made to release the game in 1995 as Final Fantasy Extreme, targeting it at "the more experienced gamers who loved the complex character building," but this never materialized.

In 1997, video game studio Top Dog was hired by Square to port the original Super Famicom game to Microsoft Windows-based personal computers for North American release. Although a good deal of the game was completed, ultimately the communication problems between Top Dog and Square's Japanese and American branches led to the project's demise.[6] The translation went on to be the basis for the PlayStation release. During the same year, an English fan translation patch for the Final Fantasy V ROM image was released on the internet by RPGe. The release was well received, and until 1999 was the game's only widely available English language version. RPGe's translation of Final Fantasy V was one of the early major fan-translated works.

The original Japanese only release of the game in December 6, 1992.

So if anyone is talking about the SNES version, they mean the Super Famicom, as that was the name of the console in Japan, and was called the Super Nintendo outside of Japan. It’s like the Sega Genesis vs Megadrive discussion where only North America calls it the Genesis. So if anyone has a SNES copy of FF5 (or any other game never released outside of Japan), they mean they have the Super Famicom cartridge. Those are shaped differently from the North American version, and the European version says "Super Nintendo" on the cart, but shaped like the Super Famicom cartridge. That Wiki article you Googled was streamlining the console name by just calling it the SNES as opposed to Super Famicom

Edited by Grungie

I'm not going to waste anymore time on you. You don't know what you're talking about. And if you knew anything, you would know that wikipedia is a site written by individual people, and is not an accurate or reliable record of anything. I could create a wikipedia page that says I've been to every planet in our solar system. I can also create "quotes" to back up my information. The "quotes" you posted mean absolutely nothing. As for your FF wiki, same thing. Opinions and ignorance.

It's time for you to move on from this topic.

Edited by The Blackangel

41 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I'm not going to waste anymore time on you. You don't know what you're talking about. And if you knew anything, you would know that wikipedia is a site written by individual people, and is not an accurate or reliable record of anything. I could create a wikipedia page that says I've been to every planet in our solar system. I can also create "quotes" to back up my information. The "quotes" you posted mean absolutely nothing. As for your FF wiki, same thing. Opinions and ignorance.

It's time for you to move on from this topic.

Then prove it by finding a source that proves there is a legitimate non-Japanese release of the game. I told you I will give you $100. I actually put effort into supporting my claims, and all you did was spend 5 seconds on Google and took a single screenshot and you started failing your arms calling me a liar. So if you want to prove me wrong, why don't you prove some effort into making me eat my words.

You can discredit Wikipedia all you want, but your screenshot to "prove me wrong" was information from Wikipedia. It's literally written right above the arrows you MS painted. So it's apparently okay for you to use Wikipedia as a source, but I can't.

It's nice to know that someone of your immature and hypocritical stature is a moderator on this forum. It reflects nicely on the staff here. I've been talking to you cordially and talked to you like an adult, yet you've responded by insulting me and flailed your arms denying my sources and refused to provide your own. You're guilty of what you accused me of earlier.

If you lock this thread or ban me, this will show that you lack maturity, and it'll mean that I won the game.

4 hours ago, Grungie said:

If you lock this thread or ban me, this will show that you lack maturity, and it'll mean that I won the game.

And that’s where you faltered. You think it’s all a game. Don’t disrespect those that have been here long before you. I learned that too thinking I’m tough shit. I was given the opportunity to stay here and you shouldn’t disrespect these mods or I’ll personally subject you to embarrassment. Debate me anything you want. Post it in debates so I can tear you another asshole. 

1 minute ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

And that’s where you faltered. You think it’s all a game. Don’t disrespect those that have been here long before you. I learned that too thinking I’m tough shit. I was given the opportunity to stay here and you shouldn’t disrespect these mods or I’ll personally subject you to embarrassment. Debate me anything you want. Post it in debates so I can tear you another asshole. 

I don't think being here longer gives mods or anyone the right to disrespect someone. Before my previous comment, you can see I was cordial, yet I got insulted, called a liar, and then provided evidence for my position and that got thrown out of the window because they didn't like it. Apparently moderators can use Wikipedia to back their claims, but I can't? Seems pretty power hungry to me.

1 hour ago, Grungie said:

I don't think being here longer gives mods or anyone the right to disrespect someone. Before my previous comment, you can see I was cordial, yet I got insulted, called a liar, and then provided evidence for my position and that got thrown out of the window because they didn't like it. Apparently moderators can use Wikipedia to back their claims, but I can't? Seems pretty power hungry to me.

No, you can argue all you want with whoever. I'm offended because you are trying to disregard the argument on the basis of your opponent being a mod as if that has any factor. Like I said, history does matter and if you knew her you would know she would say it like it is way before being a mod. You are foolish for using that excuse. 

20 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

No, you can argue all you want with whoever. I'm offended because you are trying to disregard the argument on the basis of your opponent being a mod as if that has any factor. Like I said, history does matter and if you knew her you would know she would say it like it is way before being a mod. You are foolish for using that excuse. 

Reread what I said, I’m not discrediting the argument because she’s a mod, the reason why I’m mentioning the moderator aspect is the quick to insult action, along with the attitude of “I’m right and I don’t have to prove it.”. The discrediting part has to do with the fact that apparently it’s okay for her to use Wikipedia as a valid source of information, but when I read the exact article she cited, there was information on there discrediting her statements, and that got thrown out because it disagreed with her. I find that to be childish.

Moderators also aren’t supposed to go around insulting people, especially being the one to start the insulting. They’re supposed to uphold the rules, not break them. It’s very hypocritical for a moderator to be allowed to issue warnings and ban people for infractions, but they’re allowed to get away with it.

So I hope I clarified my stance on this.

Edited by Grungie

21 minutes ago, Grungie said:

Reread what I said, I’m not discrediting the argument because she’s a mod, the reason why I’m mentioning the moderator aspect is the quick to insult action, along with the attitude of “I’m right and I don’t have to prove it.”. The discrediting part has to do with the fact that apparently it’s okay for her to use Wikipedia as a valid source of information, but when I read the exact article she cited, there was information on there discrediting her statements, and that got thrown out because it disagreed with her. I find that to be childish.

Moderators also aren’t supposed to go around insulting people, especially being the one to start the insulting. They’re supposed to uphold the rules, not break them. It’s very hypocritical for a moderator to be allowed to issue warnings and ban people for infractions, but they’re allowed to get away with it.

So I hope I clarified my stance on this.

She has the right to end a discussion that is getting nowhere. That also is her responsibility.