Register Now
NightmareFarm

Most underrated game?

My problem with the discussion of 'underrated' is that people can't agree on what it means. Take Ghostrunner for instance: Metacritic has collated reviews between 76% to 81% on four systems; Opencritic says 81% (76% for its DLC, Project_Hel); it has Very Positive reviews on Steam (its DLC has reviews as low as 'Positive'.) I don't see how this game begins to qualify to be underrated. It's not an unknown entity, it had an animated store advert on Steam's front page (what more could a PC release ask for?), and made headlines upon its reveal and release.

A game I'd nominate as being less-than-adequately rated is Warhammer: Mark of Chaos/Battle March, one of last pushes for console real-time strategy (RTS) games. Fantasy Warhammer with 2 or 3 armies depending on if you played MoC or BM, with great controls, tone, story, voice acting, script, and even some features that Total War could learn from (like embedding a leader into a unit). Given this was the precursor to Total War: Warhammer, I think it deserves a lot more credit retrospectively than it had at the time, but then we can only review games for what they are, not what they will be. I've measured the reviews of the game (55-65% on Metacritic) and find them wanting, as they have few specific complaints or ones that simply don't stand up to taking the time to learn (which the games give you plenty of.)

Edited by Withywarlock

Just now, Withywarlock said:

My problem with the discussion of 'underrated' is that people can't agree on what it means. Take Ghostrunner for instance: Metacritic has collated reviews between 76% to 81% on four systems; Opencritic says 81% (76% for its DLC, Project_Hel); it has Very Positive reviews on Steam (its DLC has reviews as low as 'Positive'.) I don't see how this game begins to qualify to be underrated. It's not an unknown entity, it had an animated store advert on Steam's front page (what more could a PC release ask for?), and made headlines upon its reveal and release.

A game I'd nominate as being less-than-adequately rated is Warhammer: Mark of Chaos/Battle March, one of last pushes for console real-time strategy (RTS) games. Fantasy Warhammer with 2 or 3 armies depending on if you played MoC or BM, with great controls, tone, story, voice acting, script, and even some features that Total War could learn from (like embedding a leader into a unit). Given this was the precursor to Total War: Warhammer, I think it deserves a lot more credit retrospectively than it had at the time, but then we can only review games for what they are, not what they will be. I've measured the reviews of the game (55-65% on Metacritic) and find them wanting, as they have few specific complaints or ones that simply don't stand up to taking the time to learn (which the games give you plenty of). It's a surface level RTS but what more can you ask for on a controller, jam on it?

That's true mate, we all understand underated in different ways, I feel @NightmareFarm is referring to those games that though they were good wasn't a regular topic around gamers.

Every single game out there got a review either good or bad on your favorite game review site or on YouTube by people who make Game related contents.  This doesn't mean that the game is doing well as you would expect it been that you have played it and experienced it for yourself and feel the game is really good.

An underrated game to me is a game that was well received by "critics" at it's time of release but sold poorly and has gathered a cult following over the years. A perfect example of this would Beyond good and evil, a game that has received a cult status over the years.

I think It's too early to call a game that is barely over a year old an underrated game, but i'll agree with that it's quite likely a game like ghostrunner will gather a cult following in years to come. I've yet to buy it but i will pick up a copy as soon as i find a physical copy of it, you know i may just do that right now.

Also when I read @Withywarlock exellent criteria for an underrated game a more recent example would be mad max the videogame, it got mixed reviews but everybody who played the game doesen't have a bad word to say about the game. Which would be my top pick for underrated game of the eight generation of consoles.

11 minutes ago, Yaramaki said:

Also when I read @Withywarlock exellent criteria for an underrated game a more recent example would be mad max the videogame, it got mixed reviews but everybody who played the game doesen't have a bad word to say about the game. Which would be my top pick for underrated game of the eight generation of consoles.

This is where we get into the muddied waters of critical versus cultural reception, because after all, what is a critic but someone with an opinion that gets published by a self-styled games journalism site? Critically Mad Max didn't do that well (the scores don't tell anywhere near as much as the content, but it got between 69-73% on Metacritic. Not great, not terrible), but I'd say it is just above having a cult following given it's the vehicular open world game people recommend hands down. I've never seen anyone who wasn't a self-styled critic recommend against playing Mad Max when the question arose, and I like to think I (used to) keep my finger on the pulse of popular game recommendations. Furthermore, I'm fully confident it'll continue to be recommended and played until someone else comes along to compete with it. The money's just sat there on the table.

Looking at Steam reviews now though, I'm genuinely surprised it doesn't have Overwhelmingly Positive scores given how massively popular it's been. I suppose those who are enjoying the game are too busy farming for likes with reviews. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Withywarlock

5 hours ago, Family sedan said:

I think NBA Live '98 was underrated.  I used to be really into it.  The trade menu worked well and you could tell which players were being depicted.

I haven't played the game that much but from what I've heard about it, it seems like a lot gamers are interested in it. I'm not sure if that makes it underrated. 

4 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

A game I'd nominate as being less-than-adequately rated is Warhammer: Mark of Chaos/Battle March, one of last pushes for console real-time strategy (RTS) games. Fantasy Warhammer with 2 or 3 armies depending on if you played MoC or BM, with great controls, tone, story, voice acting, script, and even some features that Total War could learn from (like embedding a leader into a unit). Given this was the precursor to Total War: Warhammer, I think it deserves a lot more credit retrospectively than it had at the time, but then we can only review games for what they are, not what they will be. I've measured the reviews of the game (55-65% on Metacritic) and find them wanting, as they have few specific complaints or ones that simply don't stand up to taking the time to learn (which the games give you plenty of.)

I mainly mean underrated in terms of a lack of popularity. 

19 minutes ago, NightmareFarm said:

I mainly mean underrated in terms of a lack of popularity. 

Righto. The way I'd phrase that, which is difficult when one can't change the title (or be the original author xD) is "the game that most deserve more attention." Probably doesn't roll of the tongue as well, either.

I still stand by my original thoughts however, including my recommendation of Warhammer: Mark of Chaos/Battle March, if anyone here likes a more tactical, scaled down RTS.

4 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

An underrated game to me is a game that was well received by "critics" at it's time of release but sold poorly and has gathered a cult following over the years. A perfect example of this would Beyond good and evil, a game that has received a cult status over the years.

I’d call that overlooked and not underrated. If something has critical praise, it’s not being rated low, regardless of its lack of mainstream popularity. Underrated would be something that got middling or poor reception, but you thought it was really good. Or the fandom of a franchise really hates that entry, but you really like it.

8 hours ago, Heatman said:

I haven't played the game that much but from what I've heard about it, it seems like a lot gamers are interested in it. I'm not sure if that makes it underrated. 

I wonder what the gaming magazines of the era thought about Live '98.  I'll have to do a Google search.

I always remember seeing The Witcher 2 on many top ten rpgs of all time lists, but it has since been completely overshadowed by 3. I adore TW3, but I think 2 still deserves to be talked about more. Also +1 for Endless Legend - strategy games in general are more niche, but I think a lot of people should try the Endless series (especially Endless Space 2).

15 minutes ago, Empire said:

I always remember seeing The Witcher 2 on many top ten rpgs of all time lists, but it has since been completely overshadowed by 3. I adore TW3, but I think 2 still deserves to be talked about more. Also +1 for Endless Legend - strategy games in general are more niche, but I think a lot of people should try the Endless series (especially Endless Space 2).

You're very right about that and if I'm being very honest here, I'm equally among the folks that's not given enough recognition to TW2. 

This topic is kinda broad in the sense that almost everyone's idea of an underrated game varies so what criterias did the OP use when arriving to their conclusion as to what an underrated game is. That being said, my personal pick is Primal for the PS2. Great game with a compelling storyline, great abilities but was overlooked due to Devil May Cry launching in the same time period.