Register Now
Justin11

Do you think the money involved in soccer is driving the real entertainment away?

You can't compare football during the 19th, and 20th centuries time to the one currently, money wasn't all that matters back then. Look at the game now for yourself, you'll see or read headlines where a player's transfer fee cost in the region of $200 million, and the basic weekly salary is around $600k. Unlike before, during the early 1900s and late 1900s, money wasn't all that attached, football was played with much passion and not just for the money.  

Infact, money started to pump up into soccer during the beginning of 21st century. during 80s, and 90s football, millions weren't splashed on millions unnecessarily, even when they aren't up to the price tag. At this point in time, many consider soccer as money game, it is gradually drifting away from the core entertainment we know it for. Players swap teams just to command hefty wages, and offer nothing much to the team they choose to represent, which is very popular around European football leagues. 

Do you think money is drifting away the culture of football?

Do you think the footballers are worth the hefty salaries they command today? 

Share your opinion...

37 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Honestly you do have a point but there isn't anything that can be done about - unless fans start to really protest and push back against the greed in football.

Correct. Left for me and you, we wouldn't do anything to change the course, but such is making football drift away from it's culture as a big entertainment. Now, it is pure business of money, players are in for the money, agents push them so hard to command hefty salaries and most of them end up not given their best and justify their transfer and wage value. 

On 6/13/2022 at 6:18 PM, Justin11 said:

Correct. Left for me and you, we wouldn't do anything to change the course, but such is making football drift away from it's culture as a big entertainment. Now, it is pure business of money, players are in for the money, agents push them so hard to command hefty salaries and most of them end up not given their best and justify their transfer and wage value. 

It's been out of hand since the early 2000s and it'll continue until the bubble is burst and then clubs will end up with some pretty massive debts to repay.

Aren't it for any sports, I mean just think you are watching a damn guy kicking the ball around and getting paid 200K for ever hour while playing 😜 They get paid so much a year for what..? just play sport/game. 

I think football is what it has always been but comes with much better benefits now than it did many years ago. Basketball and football are profitable sports that are still as much entertaining as it was 30 years ago and even now more popular.

On 6/15/2022 at 12:24 AM, killamch89 said:

It's been out of hand since the early 2000s and it'll continue until the bubble is burst and then clubs will end up with some pretty massive debts to repay.

Already Camp Nou has seen heavy debt hitting them, it will take some time, if not years for Barcà to survive their current bankruptcy due to excessive expending over players and board wages. 

On 7/7/2022 at 9:57 PM, Justin11 said:

Already Camp Nou has seen heavy debt hitting them, it will take some time, if not years for Barcà to survive their current bankruptcy due to excessive expending over players and board wages. 

Pretty much there own fault if you ask me and to be honest barca diden't deserve anything better. If you look at there piss poor transfer business from the last few years like For example coutinho his transfer from liverpool to barcelona is still the third most expensive transfer ever,  Griezmann transfer to barca is the 5th highest, coutinho they dumped out of the door for next to nothing same thing will happen to  Griezmann. Also while i'm taking a dumb at barcelona how can we forget Ousmane Dembélé 8th highest transfer fee paid, fat change he walks out for free if barca fails to agree on a new contract.

Well i to stick to the topic, The beauty of football is that a much smaller team can beat a bigger team on a good day. No matter how much money you have in theory Man city can lose to a club like Leeds or newly promoted Fullham on any given day. It happens less and less these days but it still happens wherest in a sport like F1 If somebody has the best car in the field fat change they will be competing for victories on a regulair basis.

The thing is Football clubs and especially english clubs are becoming more and more a play thing for the extreme rich to dumb their money in. Offcourse there is nothing wrong with that aslong they are commited to the club they own but what if they start losing interest or things don't go the way they want and here lies the problem many owners want to see immidiate results and if that doesen't happen they back out and leave the club in debt.

@Yaramaki you said extremely well, and that's exactly what most clubs are suffering from today. I'll say lack of management of funds, poor transfer business amongst the big guns (teams). Barcà is the worst in that regard, their transfer business is totally woeful in the past 4-5 years. The signing of Coutinho, Dembele, Griezman is totally waste of money, nome of them performed according to their price tag. Such kind of expenses hit Barcà in their ass, snd putting them on a heavy debt. 

Not Barcà alone, Man UTD is making same mistakes, all their additions in terms of player transfer in the past decade are big failure, none performed at the level they wanted. Look at Antony Martial, Lukaku, Luke Shaw, Paul Pogba, Harry Maguire etc, those additions are just so poor for the club, no major improvement. They're just spending the money and no improvement in their league position, and it's been nearly 10 years they last won the premier league, and 14 years they last won the UCL. With their current squad debt, I don't see them winning any of those competition anytime soon. 

5 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

Pretty much there own fault if you ask me and to be honest barca diden't deserve anything better. If you look at there piss poor transfer business from the last few years like For example coutinho his transfer from liverpool to barcelona is still the third most expensive transfer ever,  Griezmann transfer to barca is the 5th highest, coutinho they dumped out of the door for next to nothing same thing will happen to  Griezmann. Also while i'm taking a dumb at barcelona how can we forget Ousmane Dembélé 8th highest transfer fee paid, fat change he walks out for free if barca fails to agree on a new contract.

They are still working on the transfer of Raphinha from Leeds United for €71 million which I'm wondering where they are going to get the money to pay for. They are still owing De Jong his deferred payment since COVID which is what's stalling his move to Manchester United. Barcelona might cease to exist in 3-5 years time if they don't fix their financial problems. 

5 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

Well i to stick to the topic, The beauty of football is that a much smaller team can beat a bigger team on a good day. No matter how much money you have in theory Man city can lose to a club like Leeds or newly promoted Fullham on any given day. It happens less and less these days but it still happens wherest in a sport like F1 If somebody has the best car in the field fat change they will be competing for victories on a regulair basis.

The thing is Football clubs and especially english clubs are becoming more and more a play thing for the extreme rich to dumb their money in. Offcourse there is nothing wrong with that aslong they are commited to the club they own but what if they start losing interest or things don't go the way they want and here lies the problem many owners want to see immidiate results and if that doesen't happen they back out and leave the club in debt.

Ever since the Arab's got into football especially in the English Premier league, everything has been about the money. If I'm to point out the transfer that started the whole money madness in football, it's going to be Neymar transfer from the same Barcelona to PSG for €222 million. Everything in football and transfer went to shit after that. 

2 hours ago, Heatman said:

Ever since the Arab's got into football especially in the English Premier league, everything has been about the money. If I'm to point out the transfer that started the whole money madness in football, it's going to be Neymar transfer from the same Barcelona to PSG for €222 million. Everything in football and transfer went to shit after that. 

I don't how true your speculations are but soccer has always been an evolving sport, from FIFA new regulations, use of more technologies in officiating matches and the value been put on players, I don't think soccer has changed from the game it was but the value and it's worth is constantly evolving.

There is business everywhere even in education so making money out of football shouldn't be such a big deal, the only issue is the mismanagement of funds which isn't the fault of the club itself but the fault of those who were placed in charge of managing those funds.

11 minutes ago, Clasher said:

I don't how true your speculations are but soccer has always been an evolving sport, from FIFA new regulations, use of more technologies in officiating matches and the value been put on players, I don't think soccer has changed from the game it was but the value and it's worth is constantly evolving.

There is business everywhere even in education so making money out of football shouldn't be such a big deal, the only issue is the mismanagement of funds which isn't the fault of the club itself but the fault of those who were placed in charge of managing those funds.

Which of my speculations do you not know the truth behind them? I wouldn't call anything I pointed out speculations because they are cold hard facts that can be verified. Is it the Arab money investment in EPL with clubs like Manchester City and Newcastle United that can't be verified or is it Neymar's outrageous transfer fee from Barcelona to PSG? 

17 hours ago, Heatman said:

Ever since the Arab's got into football especially in the English Premier league, everything has been about the money

When I said speculations I was referring to this, you can't actually say that every thing has been about the money in football since the Arabs because money has always been an essential part of football even before this time.

Maybe the value placed on it and it business aspects is evolving doesn't mean the Arabs are the sole cause of it.

3 hours ago, Clasher said:

When I said speculations I was referring to this, you can't actually say that every thing has been about the money in football since the Arabs because money has always been an essential part of football even before this time.

Maybe the value placed on it and it business aspects is evolving doesn't mean the Arabs are the sole cause of it.

With respect to the OP's subject, he was talking about the sudden huge injection of excess cash in football specifically on players transfers and it's why I had to bring it closer to home with the illustrations of what Arab money did in English Premier League starting from Manchester City.

The club had no relevance till it was sold to Sheikh Mansour Aka. Arab Money. City transfer business was blown out of proportion which got them so many players and they started wining the league.

It's also how I took it closer to what PSG did with Neymar's purchase from Barcelona for €222 million. Without the Arab's involvement in football, I'm very sure no players would be bought for that amount but ever since then everything got worst.

Once a player is excellent in one or two season, if any club ask for buying price, the price would me hiked at €100+ million. Look at a player like Declan Rice of West Ham United being set at selling price for €100+ million and you're asking how it is all started?