Register Now
Justin11

Do you think the money involved in soccer is driving the real entertainment away?

1 hour ago, Heatman said:

With respect to the OP's subject, he was talking about the sudden huge injection of excess cash in football specifically on players transfers and it's why I had to bring it closer to home with the illustrations of what Arab money did in English Premier League starting from Manchester City.

The club had no relevance till it was sold to Sheikh Mansour Aka. Arab Money. City transfer business was blown out of proportion which got them so many players and they started wining the league.

It's also how I took it closer to what PSG did with Neymar's purchase from Barcelona for €222 million. Without the Arab's involvement in football, I'm very sure no players would be bought for that amount but ever since then everything got worst.

Once a player is excellent in one or two season, if any club ask for buying price, the price would me hiked at €100+ million. Look at a player like Declan Rice of West Ham United being set at selling price for €100+ million and you're asking how it is all started? 

I can only agree with the fact that if that neymar transfer diden't happen transfer prices woulden't have been so bonkers as to what they are now maybe a little over 100 million would have been the record. In the end was he really worth 222 million, i doubt it now here and there rumours pop up Psg wants to get rid off him.

This is where the problem lies with psg they have on paper one of the best teams in the world if not the best team in the world but nearly all their players have big egos, surely neymar, mpabbe and messi aren't going to run one meter too much if they don't have to, i see them seldom helping to defend. This is why they have not won the champions league, because apart from a few players like marquinhos nobody has that over my dead body mentality. Psg has made the same mistake real madrid made in the early 2000's you have a dressing room full of overpaid stars that all have big egos  and unless the coach is exellent at people managing you're never going to get all those egos on the same line. 

I'm actually wondering how long it's going to take before the arab money is going to dry up, surely with Oil being less and less needed as the world is shifting to a greener future well in the years to come it's something that has been on my mind lately as i'd be surprised if any big football club would still be in the hands of a middle eastern business man who's main income source comes from oil in let's say 20-30 years.

1 hour ago, Yaramaki said:

I can only agree with the fact that if that neymar transfer diden't happen transfer prices woulden't have been so bonkers as to what they are now maybe a little over 100 million would have been the record. In the end was he really worth 222 million, i doubt it now here and there rumours pop up Psg wants to get rid off him.

This is where the problem lies with psg they have on paper one of the best teams in the world if not the best team in the world but nearly all their players have big egos, surely neymar, mpabbe and messi aren't going to run one meter too much if they don't have to, i see them seldom helping to defend. This is why they have not won the champions league, because apart from a few players like marquinhos nobody has that over my dead body mentality. Psg has made the same mistake real madrid made in the early 2000's you have a dressing room full of overpaid stars that all have big egos  and unless the coach is exellent at people managing you're never going to get all those egos on the same line. 

I'm actually wondering how long it's going to take before the arab money is going to dry up, surely with Oil being less and less needed as the world is shifting to a greener future well in the years to come it's something that has been on my mind lately as i'd be surprised if any big football club would still be in the hands of a middle eastern business man who's main income source comes from oil in let's say 20-30 years.

Yeah, the Barcelona - PSG Neymar transfer deal was the last nail in the coffin for beginning of absurd transfer prices for players. Neymar was never worth that amount of €222 million. Barcelona just quoted that amount thinking that PSG would walk away from the deal but to their greatest surprise, PSG sent the complete payment at once in a cheque. I saw a copy of the payment cheque back then if it was the original thing anyways.

It's not even just how much they buy these players but also the insane contract that they sign with the players. Look at a younger player like Kylian Mbappe in his last ditch contract signing for PSG, the club had to throw in everything including giving him power to completely manage his image rights where he's supposed to earn €50 million per annum and in addition to his bonuses which is €180 million for staying in PSG. It's only Messi contract at Barcelona where he earned €75 million per annum that topples what Mbappe earns currently. 

PSG have the team that's capable of winning every tournament in the year but it's almost impossible to manage them. I'm not sure if there's any manager that's going to be able to get them in line. Unai Emery failed, Thomas Tuchel failed, Mauricio Pochettino failed and more are still most likely going to face the same fate or tough challenges. 

Edited by Heatman

21 hours ago, Heatman said:

It's also how I took it closer to what PSG did with Neymar's purchase from Barcelona for €222 million. Without the Arab's involvement in football, I'm very sure no players would be bought for that amount but ever since then everything got worst.

Once a player is excellent in one or two season, if any club ask for buying price, the price would me hiked at €100+ million. Look at a player like Declan Rice of West Ham United being set at selling price for €100+ million and you're asking how it is all started?

Your points are clear and I now see from the angle you are coming from, inflating prices of players was actually influenced by the opportunistic move of some club owners majority of them been Arabs to make football more a business venture and are willing to spend huge amount of money to just to a player for their club.

Though I don't see this as a bad thing this has helped soccer to evolve drastically

Sorry if I might be derailing but I also want you to note that some Players in the NBA earn well over 700k weekly so football isn't the only sport where ridiculous amount of money are spent on players.

I'm not worried about PSG and all those other big money teams because they're still useless in Europe so I have no issues whatsoever. It's true that the regulating bodies need to do more with FFP - like actually enforce it consistently and not just for certain teams.

20 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I'm not worried about PSG and all those other big money teams because they're still useless in Europe so I have no issues whatsoever. It's true that the regulating bodies need to do more with FFP - like actually enforce it consistently and not just for certain teams.

FFP regulation did not hit PSG, because they acted perfectly in their transfer business. Apart from the acquisition of Ney, Mbappe, their is no much marquee signing from PSG. 

3 hours ago, Justin11 said:

FFP regulation did not hit PSG, because they acted perfectly in their transfer business. Apart from the acquisition of Ney, Mbappe, their is no much marquee signing from PSG. 

PSG and Man City use other companies set up by associates to "sponsor" their clubs effectively bypassing FFP.

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

PSG and Man City use other companies set up by associates to "sponsor" their clubs effectively bypassing FFP.

Hmm, that's important learning about this aspect, I never learned about this in world football. I know this teams have sister's clubs, does it mean those sister's clubs helps them to finance their main team's budget? 

On 8/3/2022 at 9:50 PM, killamch89 said:

Actually i didn't consider this true but to an extent it not something that can't be done but are there any evidence to back this claim.

On 7/14/2022 at 2:24 PM, Clasher said:

Your points are clear and I now see from the angle you are coming from, inflating prices of players was actually influenced by the opportunistic move of some club owners majority of them been Arabs to make football more a business venture and are willing to spend huge amount of money to just to a player for their club.

Though I don't see this as a bad thing this has helped soccer to evolve drastically

Sorry if I might be derailing but I also want you to note that some Players in the NBA earn well over 700k weekly so football isn't the only sport where ridiculous amount of money are spent on players.

Why it ruined the sports of football in my opinion is that it gave bigger rich teams more power to get stronger and take the competition away from the sports. 

Just look at how the French league is set up with PSG being too strong for other teams to play against them. It's even why it's called farmers league today. 

8 hours ago, Heatman said:

Why it ruined the sports of football in my opinion is that it gave bigger rich teams more power to get stronger and take the competition away from the sports. 

Just look at how the French league is set up with PSG being too strong for other teams to play against them. It's even why it's called farmers league today. 

That's true but I don't think that strategy has worked for them either, PSG hasn't been able to secure a champions even though they have both Neymar and Messi in their team.

Man United as well can't even win their matches though Ronaldo which they signed at a really ridiculous Price is in their team.

6 hours ago, Clasher said:

That's true but I don't think that strategy has worked for them either, PSG hasn't been able to secure a champions even though they have both Neymar and Messi in their team.

Man United as well can't even win their matches though Ronaldo which they signed at a really ridiculous Price is in their team.

Yeah, that's correct. It haven't worked for some of them and PSG is the biggest culprit here. They have spent more than any team in the world but have nothing exceptional to show for it. 

Although, it's worked for few other teams like Bayern Munich and Manchester City very well. 

7 minutes ago, Heatman said:

Yeah, that's correct. It haven't worked for some of them and PSG is the biggest culprit here. They have spent more than any team in the world but have nothing exceptional to show for it. 

Although, it's worked for few other teams like Bayern Munich and Manchester City very well. 

Bayern Munich didn't spend as much as PSG but it was still worthy of mention.

The game of soccer is a really Intriguing one and every single detail including the transfer season saga is what makes it a lot more interesting.

4 minutes ago, Clasher said:

Bayern Munich didn't spend as much as PSG but it was still worthy of mention.

The game of soccer is a really Intriguing one and every single detail including the transfer season saga is what makes it a lot more interesting.

I'm not comparing what PSG spent with Bayern Munich but what they spent with respect to their different leagues. 

Bayern Munich spent lesser than PSG but when it comes to comparing what they spent to other teams in German league, they are like the PSG in German league. 

Just now, Heatman said:

I'm not comparing what PSG spent with Bayern Munich but what they spent with respect to their different leagues. 

Bayern Munich spent lesser than PSG but when it comes to comparing what they spent to other teams in German league, they are like the PSG in German league. 

That's True, Bayern Munich has always been known to be the Giants of the German league and it's only fair that they are the ones with highest amount of money spent on signing players.

It's has worked for them because they are not struggling in any way to win the bundesliga as much as PSG struggles to win the Ligue 1 even though they are among the teams with the highest number of Ligue 1 titles still they struggle every single to get to the finals.